Can i lose 100-120 pounds of fat and build muscle at the same time

Replies

• Kristie354
    Kristie354 Posts: 85 Member
    Following. Interested to hear the responses from this. I have 38kg to lose and am going to start weight training as well.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    I think the consensus is that it's one or the other in most cases.

The idea being that building muscles is an expensive exercise and your body does like to do it if your in a deficit.

But even if you don't gain muscle, lifting weights will help you preserve muscles you already have while losing fat.

Like your legs, your carrying around 100 pounds all day, probably got some decent muscles hidden under fat :tongue:

• Like your legs, your carrying around 100 pounds all day, probably got some decent muscles hidden under fat :tongue: [/quote]

Never thought of it like that thanks :D

• tyronnreid69
    tyronnreid69 Posts: 3 Member
    Yes it is very possible always remember eat in a calorie deficit that's the most important while providing your body with the right nutrients to maintain the muscle u have underneath the fat... also remember 3500 calories =1lb of fat... good luck and keep pushing
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    Can i lose 100-120 pounds of fat and build muscle at the same time

You can do whatever you put your mind to. :smile:
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    There was just a new study out on this. Yes, some muscle creation can happen in this situation. Try googling it...
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,032 Member
    There are newbie gains - muscle building for people new to lifting while eating in a deficit. It will level out though, and the lifting will maintain and strengthen existing muscle while losing fat but you'll not be putting on appreciable new muscle. Still totally worth it though, so have at it!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    There will be lots of disagreement on what's the possible outcome (build some muscle, build a significant amount, maintain what you have, lose a little....) but a very general consensus that the best outcome you can personally achieve would be a moderate calorie deficit, higher than normal level of protein, progressive lifting routine to stimulate your muscle.

As a fat 20 year old male you have a huge advantage compared to almost everyone!
    These are your golden training years - don't waste them.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    There will be lots of disagreement on what's the possible outcome (build some muscle, build a significant amount, maintain what you have, lose a little....) but a very general consensus that the best outcome you can personally achieve would be a moderate calorie deficit, higher than normal level of protein, progressive lifting routine to stimulate your muscle.

As a fat 20 year old male you have a huge advantage compared to almost everyone!
    These are your golden training years - don't waste them.

Yes this

Perfect place to try
  • jdecardenas
    jdecardenas Posts: 1 Member
    I have done it and in my fifties, much easier for younger people. I lost about 30 pounds of fat while at the same time gaining muscle but gradually, in a year or so. The key is eat in a deficit but not too large and have enough protein in the diet to help build muscle. In time the extra muscle will rev up your baseline metabolism helping you to keep a healthy weight once you reach it.
  • Sued0nim
    I have done it and in my fifties, much easier for younger people. I lost about 30 pounds of fat while at the same time gaining muscle but gradually, in a year or so. The key is eat in a deficit but not too large and have enough protein in the diet to help build muscle. In time the extra muscle will rev up your baseline metabolism helping you to keep a healthy weight once you reach it.

I see this with 30lbs to lose but not with 120lbs ...he needs to lose the excess fat so should have a decent defecit and decent progressive resistance programme
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    To use myself as an example. I'm back to my high school weight of 80kg after losing 41kg this past year and a half. I've been lifting weights the whole time, and I'm definitely much leaner now than I've ever been. My strength has doubled since I started and I actually look like i lift weights now.

Whether or not I've actually built some appreciable amount of muscle is of little consequence to me. I look and feel way better because of my focus on strength training.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »

I see this with 30lbs to lose but not with 120lbs ...he needs to lose the excess fat so should have a decent defecit and decent progressive resistance programme

The fatter you are the easier it is - just makes it very hard to see or measure.
    It's very lean highly trained individuals that will struggle the most to add some muscle whilst in a deficit.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 1,064 Member
    You are stronger than you think. You do have muscle under the fat. It takes muscle to move an extra 100 lbs of weight daily and that is very tiring. You don't want to lose what muscle you have but keep getting stronger and building more muscle strength. As you lose weight with a good diet and exercise it will get easier and easier to move more. Sometimes when I go on my walks or hikes I put the amount of weight I lost in my backpack just to remind me how heavy it feels and how hard it is to carry around the extra weight and how I don't ever want it to come back. You can do it!
  • Sued0nim
    sijomial wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »

The fatter you are the easier it is - just makes it very hard to see or measure.
    It's very lean highly trained individuals that will struggle the most to add some muscle whilst in a deficit.

Yup ..that's what I said ;)