Eating Well on a BUDGET???

2»

Replies

• sincereme
    sincereme Posts: 276
    Don't forget soups. You can buy dried beans and vegetables in bulk, make soups or stews, and freeze into portions to thaw as you need.

What other things are you spending money on? You really don't need much past the basics.

Just the basics like bread, meats, eggs, Milk, Cheese, rice, etc. The milk is almost $5 here. I also have to get snacks for school, etc.
  • Tinan76
    Tinan76 Posts: 56 Member
    The thing that I've noticed since I started this is. Things are not as expensive as I thought they were once you get portion ccontrol down. Before I could eat a whole steak on my own . Now that same steak feeds my whole family.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    I shop the sales. Frozen veggies are just as healthy as fresh and you can get them on sale for the family for about $1.00 a bag. I stock up when they are on sale!! Like, can barely shut the freezer stock up. I also buy chicken breast when on sale and stock up. For whole grains, buy in bulk - brown rice, Qunioa, etc. Beans are fantastic - buy them dry if you want to save even more than canned. Eggs are cheap and a great source of protein.

Most of my meals consist of lean protein and veggie --- if enough calories for the day a grain, bean or potato.

The trick is to stay away from the processed stuff and buy in season ( as you've figured out at the farmer's market) and supplement with frozen stuff that is on sale. I don't go anywhere near the center aisles except for coffee :) I also (as cliche as it sounds) make a list based off the sale flier before I go and meal plan from that. If it isn't on sale - it doesn't get bought.
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Don't forget soups. You can buy dried beans and vegetables in bulk, make soups or stews, and freeze into portions to thaw as you need.

What other things are you spending money on? You really don't need much past the basics.

Just the basics like bread, meats, eggs, Milk, Cheese, rice, etc. The milk is almost $5 here. I also have to get snacks for school, etc.

WOW, you need to take cammons suggestion and do a pricing spree. I buy organic hormone free milk for about $4 a gallon!

Get your best prices, buy in bulk, shop the specials and FREEZE.
  • cassyb30
    cassyb30 Posts: 3
    I know that eating well can be expensive. Since I am starting this diet I have started to make my own breads, pita bread, bagels (of which I sometimes use gluten free flour/ almond flour or wheat/ mixed)
    I have started to think of healthier ways to cook.
    Baked chicken (whole - well trimmed) is awesome, and last a long time.
    I collect the water after I do my veggies and save that to make various stocks.
    Soups are really good - I make those.

I think the best thing is when you cook, make it be a few days worth. Also saving money from the constant cooking, and a lighter gas/ electric bill.

Avoid buying soda, water, tea, coffee outside. It is just ways that I am learning as I go along.

HTH
  • I agree with the dried bulk beans, rice, pasta, oats, and other items. It seems like it would take longer and not be worth the hastle, but really they are easy to prepare, you just let them cook, dont have to do much while they are cooking.
    And like others said, you control the sodium and other ingredients.

I used to buy things in serving sized portions, but now I find that if I buy the large containers and seperate it myself, I can control the serving size and its cheaper. Instead of string cheese, I buy a block of mozzerella cheese and cut it into 1oz strips and wrap them in plastic wrap, buy a large tub of yogurt and seperate it into half cup containers, make a pot of oatmeal instead of the individual packs, when buying snacks I try to seperate them before eating out of the huge bag. This helps the items to last longer because you are not mindlessly snacking out of a big bag and saves cals and makes it easy when eating during the day.

It is hard but you can do it!! I would also watch what is served at school lunches. As an educator, I unfortunately know that school lunches are usually quick and unhealthy bulk meals. Check them out and see if there is an alternative that you could pack the kiddos that would be the same price if they are not healthy at the school.

Remember that water is free (or close to it) so don't spend your grocery money on other beverages, except if you are like me you will cut something else out to get good coffee :tongue:

Good luck on your journey for you and your family :flowerforyou:
  • I used to buy things in serving sized portions, but now I find that if I buy the large containers and seperate it myself, I can control the serving size and its cheaper. Instead of string cheese, I buy a block of mozzerella cheese and cut it into 1oz strips and wrap them in plastic wrap, buy a large tub of yogurt and seperate it into half cup containers, make a pot of oatmeal instead of the individual packs, when buying snacks I try to seperate them before eating out of the huge bag. This helps the items to last longer because you are not mindlessly snacking out of a big bag and saves cals and makes it easy when eating during the day.

Agreed! And I also find that the ONE thing I save on shopping at Whole Foods all the time is containers! My kids seem to eat the containers along with their lunches, but at Whole Foods they have tons of containers to use with their bulk and self-serve items. As long as you're buying something they don't mind you throwing some of those free containers in your basket as well.
  • JennsRAQ
    JennsRAQ Posts: 132 Member
    We buy fruits and veggies through the www.bountifulbaskets.org co-op! In our area, it is every other week and it's $15 for a small laundry hamper full of fruits and veggies or $25 for all organic. It has been a HUGE money saver for us!
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Ok guys/gals, so I am having a little trouble with eating healthy when everything is sooooooooo expensive :huh: . I go to the farmers market for fruits and veggies because its much cheaper than Stop and Shop but I still spend so much money on other things. There are weeks when its just not possible. Plus, I have to feed a family of 4 which includes paying for school lunches as well.

How do you manage? Any meal ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Generally speaking the less processed a food is the cheaper it will be. I'm not talking about processed foods here. I mean it will be cheaper to buy a whole pineapple than a pineapple that has been cored and peeled. That is why especially if you are on a budget a food prep/grocery prep day is important. I can spend and hour reviewing ads/clipping coupons each week and another hour prepping meals for the week and save money & time during the week because my meals are made in 15 mins or less.

My tips:
    Invest in a crock pot
    Buy ziploc snack, freezer bags and tupperware.
    Buy in bulk

The crock pot should be self explanatory. It's no brainer cooking. Just toss your food in, make sure there's enough liquid to cook and go.

If you are buying in bulk, whether it's your snacks like almonds, dried fruit, granola, nut, beans, etc....You can sort your items and store.
    Family packs of meat can be separated and pre-cooked for the week. Think about how something can make more than one meal. For example, buying a whole chicken is cheaper than buying parts. Cut it up and you have legs, breast, wings. Then you have a carcass that you can boil down and have your own chicken stock.
    If you buy from the farmer's market or produce market freeze whatever you don't think you can eat before it goes bad.
    Plain oatmeal is cheaper and you can add your own fixings that insures you aren't getting a bunch of artificial colorings and sugar. Again, use your ziplocs and make your own flavored packets.

It takes some time to set up and organize food prep and couponing, but once you get a rhythm, you will wonder why you didn't do this all along.
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    I'm going to weigh in here even though there are just two of us but we live on our social security, and I have 50-years of experience in feeding a family of six!

Several people mentioned Aldi and it is my favorite place to shop. You won't find 20 varieties in 5 sizes of anything. One variety, one size, but that is how they can offer things at the prices they do. They have a line called Fit and Active. If available, I'll spend a few pennies more to purchase things that are reduced fat, sugar, etc. The biggest bargain there is milk - $2.54 for a gallon of skim in our area. Maybe 20 cents more for 2%. Second would have to be dry cereals. If your kids insist on name brands, buy it once, save the outer box. Then replace the inner bag with the Millville brand (Aldi). Cherios, Chex, Rice Crispies, Raisen Bran, etc. all available for as much as $2.00 less a box.

Aldi has whole, frozen chicken for around 85 cents a pound. I buy four at a crack, thaw and roast all at once. Then I save the pan drippings, discard the skin, separate the meat from the bone and package. Some of the breasts are left whole and packed two to a bag. Dark meat is usually cut into chunks and packed in one pound bags. When done with that, the carcasses and the pan drippings go into a big kettle with water (enough to cover all), and I cook that until the bones are almost soft. Strain and cool the broth. Last, skim and discard the fat and package in two to four cup containers. It will be my base for soups, stews, gravies, etc. No added sodium. This gives me enough meat for many meals. The breast meat can be sliced for sandwiches (hint - slice when it is partly frozen) or served whole as an entree. The dark meat goes into casseroles, stir fry, soup, stews, etc.

I also shop for bulk food at a natural foods store. I buy brown rice, quick oats, cinnamon, raw almonds, etc. all at a huge savings over the packaged brands.

The bread I buy is from a bread outlet store. Here it is Sara Lee. In other parts of the country it may be the Wonder Bread brand. Sara Lee "Delightful" 45-calorie multi-grain bread is a dollar a loaf (sometimes less). In the store it is over $3 a loaf. I used to bake my own bread but I discovered we ate a lot more of it because it was so darned good. The Delightful bread is palatable, but not so good you'll eat it just for the sake of eating it.:smile:

I buy lean ground beef in bulk and package it in 3/4 pound packages. Really, in spaghetti sauce who will know if there was a pound or a half pound of meat. Same with chili, sloppy joe, etc. You get one extra meal per four pounds.

Buy a whole chuck roast and cut it into chunks for stew meat. Never could figure out why they charge an extra 30 cents a pound for cutting it up. Same thing with ground beef, buy in bulk and make your own patties (5 to a pound, instead of quarter pounders). No hot dogs, no bolonga, no sausage, nothing processed and packaged.

I could go on and on but trust me - it can be done. And use COUPONS where you can.
This discussion has been closed.