Alcohol and weight loss...

Options
Does anyone else find when the drink alcohol they are generally more hungry the next day and eat more? I have given up alcohol for Lent, and as in the past, I'm finding when I'm not drinking it's easier for me to control what I eat and eat in moderation - i'm not talking about eating while I'm drinking, I am talking about the next day.

Does this happen to anyone else? I'm wondering why this happens, but haven't found much in searches.

Thanks,
Pam

Replies

• Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I've experienced this, and hear it is common. I keep drink for the weekend, it has helped me. Also logging your alcohol calories.
  • NotSoPerfectPam
    NotSoPerfectPam Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    katiebean wrote: »

thanks KatieBean... I don't drink to hangover levels - just one or two glasses of wine -- but this certainly makes a lot of sense. Good to know!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Poor sleep makes it harder for me to control calories, so if it was interfering with your sleep that could be part of it.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Nope. I drink a drink or two almost every day, and I've lost 30 kg since April, and never gone over my calorie limit.

I just make room for the alcohol and the food I love through earning plenty of exercise.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Not in my experience. I'll take a closer look at my food diary, though, to see if this is a thing.
  • 75in2013
    75in2013 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Beer makes me hungry. Not the next day. Usually one or two hours after drinking two or three beers.

I still have alcohol in my diet when my calories allow it. It has no effect on my weight loss so far.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Possibly the carbs. It definitely shuts down the fat burning process.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i have a feeling its different for everyone.

for me ... no.
  • runningalice
    runningalice Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I make sure i have a hundred calories for a small glass of wine on a saturday :) helps keep me sane! If i drink alot it looks loke ive lost weight but due to the dehydration its all a lie!
  • Savanna2015mfp
    Savanna2015mfp Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Fursian wrote: »
    I've experienced this, and hear it is common. I keep drink for the weekend, it has helped me. Also logging your alcohol calories.

P
  • Savanna2015mfp
    Savanna2015mfp Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Yes..
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    If I drink too much and have a hangover the next day, I don't feel better until I eat something. I am usually dehydrated too, so I drink warm soda which settles my stomach. If I only drink a few and don't go overboard, I don't have any issues with hunger or thirst. Unfortunately, I don't drink much at all so it only takes about 4 beers to put me over the top. I'm a serious lightweight.

I can't drink wine at all. It's tasty sometimes, but one glass and I'm tipsy and wake up with a severe headache.