Concussion

Options
I've had a concussion for 5 weeks now, can't do any physical activity without getting headaches over my right temple. I've gone from doing lots of exercise to nothing and really need to get back into it! Any suggestions for toning exercises that won't raise my heart rate or put stress on my body?

Replies

• Goodlifepttony
    Goodlifepttony Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    First and foremost. Is your Doctor aware that you're still getting symptoms? If you have not seen the Dr in the last couple of weeks or your symptoms have changed, I would strongly encourage you to do so. If you have and you've been given the all clear to exercise, then start with a little bit of something and see how that goes. So an easy walk or bike ride for 15-20 mins for the average person getting back into it is what I would recommend.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    This is a question for your dr. Who I hope is aware you are still having symptoms.
  • oedipuss
    oedipuss Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to see a doctor about this and be examined.

Seriously.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Take aqua size with the senior citizens...
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    See your doctor and don't do anything you're not cleared to do.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Nothing to mess around with. They are learning more about concussions all the time, but I wouldn't listen to anyone on an internet forum. Consult with your doctor only.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Take it from somebody who had several bad concussions from playing football into my thirties. It's no joke, I have temple/headache pain 24/7 and very little memory to speak of.

Take care of yourself for the long run.
  • Lucy1752
    Lucy1752 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    A concussion is a traumatic brain injury and not to be taken lightly. Our program (http://tbi.cedwvu.org/) sees this all the time. The brain requires time to recover from any traumatic event. I don't know what state you are in, but many states have a TBI program and can provide you with information on side effects and recovery, depression, anxiety and dispel some of the myths surrounding concussions.
    Please be careful, whatever you choose to do, and take your recovery slowly.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    saoirse242 wrote: »
    I've had a concussion for 5 weeks now, can't do any physical activity without getting headaches over my right temple. I've gone from doing lots of exercise to nothing and really need to get back into it! Any suggestions for toning exercises that won't raise my heart rate or put stress on my body?

I've had more than several over the years from crashes on the bike. Sometimes, those headaches, agitation, fatigue - all can last for months.

Light spinning on an exercise bike where you keep your heart rate down in the recovery zone to zone 1 is about as low impact exercise as you can get as your body will not be bouncing up an down. You could do it on a recumbent stationary bike or upright - your choice.