Has anyone been put on a VLC(very low calorie) diet? (liquid

Options
Has anyone been put on one? Or done it yourself? my Dr. suggested it to "jump start" my WL. i weighed in at 290 this AM. lovely. :(

I don't know if i have that kind of willpower. he said he'd monitor me, but i don't know- it doesn't seem safe?

Replies

• Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    How low calorie are we talking, and how long do you do it for?
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    What kind of calories does your Dr. have in mind? Through mfp I'm on 1200 cals per day, and usually that is the lowest recommended. If you don't feel comfortable being dropped down considerable then state your fears. Maybe you could start with a smaller deficit and work your way down as you drop weight.
  • KeyMasterOfGozer
    KeyMasterOfGozer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    As long as you are under a doctor's supervision, I don't see why you shouldn't try it. He's your doctor after all, you must trust his opinion, right?

He is a doctor, so he knows more about how the human body works than almost anyone here, and he certainly knows more about YOUR particular case than anyone here.

Edit: the 1200 calorie limit here is really just for the rest of us who don't have a way to get specifics that your doctor probably has.
  • mvsundberg
    Options
    My trainer put me on a 1400 calorie diet. I wouldn't go lower than that because you'll never stick with it. It is tough, but doable. Especially once you kind of figure out what you can and can't have. I'm told to eat 5-6 small meals a day and make sure to have a protein and a complex carb (non-starchy veggie and whole wheat products) at each meal. This will keep the metabolism working to burn the fat. Hope this helps. :)
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I would ONLY do so under a doctor's direct supervision. It can have serious side effects. Really, it's the lessor of two evils if you are in serious danger due to obesity. But most people are better off slow and steady, and learning new eating habits during this time-frame. Otherwise, the weight just piles back on as soon as the "diet" is over.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I am no Dr... but VLCD's dont seem to be really safe. Why not just follow what MFP says and youll see results.
    You can't be on a VLCD forever, MFP is all about a lifestyle change.
    My friend is on a VLCD and no carbs, the poor girl gains weight anytime she "cheats" on her diet. I dont see how she can live like that... just my opinion.
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    my boss is doing it, 15 carbs a day and 800 calories, she likes it
  • jasonweinberg
    Options
    under a dr.'s supervision with proper supplementation it can work. it will def "jump-start" you and your stomach will shrink significantly. howver, when i was in the early stages of my weight-loss program (i started at 321) i was still able to lose weight with a fairly high calorie limit in conjunction with exercise so i would hope he doesn't want you to stay very low calorie for too long.
  • SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    The problem I've always had with the "jump start" is that when you start eating again the weight loss slows or stops. I'm not a doctor, but slow and safe seems preferable to quick and dangerous.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Eek. :S maybe do one meal of liquids a day but if you are an eater than dont stop eating. What i have done is eat the same foods, limit my portions, and cut out the fats and sugars that i added myself. Then after cutting portions down to regular sizes i noticed that i wanted more food to eat but didnt have calories left in my day to eat any more. so i had to make better food choices. And that is when i started adding whole grains, brown rice, whole wheat pasta instead of the white stuff and it filled me up and i was happy and not hungry. Also, exercise helped, it allowed me to eat more calories, that way i was never hungry. Once it clicks it is very easy to do and normal just like before but with healthy choices.
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I started a two week liquid diet today (supervised by doctor) I was on a 3 weeks of liquids 2 months ago. It is 600-800 calories a day and you have to be on a multivitamin... drink a minimum of 8 cups a fluids, make sure with the calories you take in there is 60 - 80 grams of protein. You must exercise at the least 30 min a day. There is much to learn before going on one to be able to understand it etc.
  • netresult
    netresult Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Although a 1200 calorie base is recommended for "dieting" in order for your body to get all the adequate nutrition it needs, and to avoid going into starvation mode, it is common to jump start your diet by going on a very low calorie diet for up to four days. Some people would call this a liquid fast or a detox fast.

You can eat approx. 600-800 calories a day and not go into starvation mode by eating all veggies and few fruits. You flush your system with plenty of water & some veggie juice (no sugar added). You remove all sugar, starch & fats from the diet. Make sure you take a multi-vitamin supplement.

After the four days are over, you slowly add dairy proteins (yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. Then after a couple more days you can re-introduce lean meats until you are up to 1200 calories a day.

For the first four days, don't over-do it with exercise. Walking 30min. a day is good. Once you get up to 1200 calories, you can go full-out with the exercise, and it's recommended to do so.

As long as your doctor said it is safe for you, it is a wonderful way to jump start a weight-loss. It changes your attitude about food & shrinks your stomach down to the proper size. You wont crave sugar, salt, caffeine & bread as much as before.

If at any time during the fast, if you feel dizzy or lightheaded, it's a good idea to grab some water & some dairy protein.

Willpower...the first day is the hardest. Make sure it's when you have a VERY busy day with a project. If you just sit around, you'll constantly think of food....but if you keep busy, it really is do-able!

GOOD LUCK!!!
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I would ONLY do so under a doctor's direct supervision. It can have serious side effects. Really, it's the lessor of two evils if you are in serious danger due to obesity. But most people are better off slow and steady, and learning new eating habits during this time-frame. Otherwise, the weight just piles back on as soon as the "diet" is over.

I completely agree. Unless you have a life-threatening reason why you need to dump 50 lbs in a very short time, it is better to just work MFP and exercise. I did a liquid diet in my mid 20's and it screwed up my metabolism....plus I gained it all back after I quit it. You can do this!!!
  • risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    If you're doing it under a doctor's supervision, then it is probably okay. But usually heavier people have a pretty easy time initiating losing weight when they start exercising and eating healthier. I started at 260 and the first 30 lbs came off pretty easily and it usually does for most people and then starts to taper off. If you want to kickstart your weight loss without starving, try the first two weeks of the South Beach Diet but maybe push it to four weeks, that's what I did.
  • kskroch
    kskroch Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    This conversation might be old-- but I'm on a VLCD through my Doctor/HMO-Clinic. Shakes and bars totaling 720-820 calories(depending on your staring weight) - they do allow another 100 calories of high protein extras. I've lost 59 pounds in 11 weeks - they don't let you go over 24 weeks at a time.

It's not fun, but it's working - I expect to go another 6 weeks then we start adding some real food for another 6 weeks.
  • Toniteach
    Toniteach Posts: 12
    Options
    I echo what Kevin said. I was on a VLCD for a year. 800-840 calories/day. Liquid. Medically supervised. I went from obese to a normal weight/BMI. Good luck!