"You don't need to lose weight"

Options
Yes, yes I do! My doctor says so, my scales say so, my clothes say so! My eyes say so and my health+fitness say so!

It is really annoying me. I quit smoking 47 days ago, not one person that mattered told me 'I don't need to' !!!!!

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Don't tell people you are losing weight. Then they won't tell you not to.
  • Marcus_2015
    Marcus_2015 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    This is all about you. Don't let anyone else influence you or tell you what you need to do.

Take it from me - this is all from within. That is where you will find the strength and the only judgement that matters.

R
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Quite often these comments are people's projections. By agreeing you need to lose weight they might then have to acknowledge to themselves that they could do with losing some. Or maybe sometimes people are only in their own way trying to be polite, but it can be annoying.

Well done on quitting smoking. I cared for my mother as she died of COPD and my father as he died of oesophageal and lung cancer. It's great you're not going to put your girl through that.

I wish you every success.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

this
  • samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about what others have to say. They don't know what's best for you.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    Options

this

Right don't tell people..
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    CollieFit wrote: »
    Quite often these comments are people's projections. By agreeing you need to lose weight they might then have to acknowledge to themselves that they could do with losing some. Or maybe sometimes people are only in their own way trying to be polite, but it can be annoying.

Well done on quitting smoking. I cared for my mother as she died of COPD and my father as he died of oesophageal and lung cancer. It's great you're not going to put your girl through that.

I wish you every success.

I think more often than not it is people trying to be polite or not knowing what to say without offending as opposed to having to acknowledge they have to lose weight too.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I block out a ton of rubbish advice at work every day, and I have to just accept that I've engaged in the conversation and ignore advice which has no value to me.
    Example from last week.

End of working day, I return from the toilets having got changed into my running clothes.
    Person 1: Ooh, are you running home from work?
    Me: Yep.
    Person 1: You don't need to go running, you're naturally slim.
    Person 2: If you didn't eat carbs you would maintain your weight easier without exercise.
    Person 1: Running will damage your knees. You should lift weights instead. Plus muscle weighs more than fat.
    Me: My knees are fine, thanks.
    Person 3: You should do HIIT rather than steady cardio, it'll eat all your muscle away.
    Me: I won't be able to run 13 miles unless I practice running for a long time.

All these people thought they were being nice/helpful. I could've kept my mouth shut and just nodded, and the annoying conversation could have finished sooner.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Either stop telling people that you're trying to lose weight or hit them with a, "well then it's a good thing it's not up to you." I prefer the latter because people that make stupid comments bug me.

People seem to think that's what they're supposed to say. "Oh, you're on a diet? Why? You look great!" Even if you do need to lose weight, people feel the need to compliment you. I work with a girl that is really heavy and it drives her absolutely nuts when people try to tell her she's not fat when she jokes about her weight. She doesn't do it for attention - for instance, we were wearing similar tops one day and she joked that we were like a before and after shot. We both laughed, but a co-worker in ear shot started to deny it...the other girl shot her a "come on now" look and she shut up.

Being polite for the sake of being polite, even if it means being dishonest, just doesn't sit well with me. As if overweight people don't know they're overweight. Why deny it? You don't have to be rude or mean about it, but telling them they shouldn't lose weight when they want to isn't helpful either.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    They're trying to be nice but sometimes nice is the opposite of what is useful.

I don't think such comments are likely to stop so better to just get used to it and not let it get to you.