best exercise to compliment running

Options
slimandsmiling
slimandsmiling Posts: 85 Member
edited February 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
hi all, last year I had got up to running 10k which for me was really good going. I was running 3 times a week but now I have now changed jobs and am working 5 days per week I can't find time to run as much.

Instead I am walking the kids to school and now am biking to work 3-4 days each week;this includes 15mins walking and 20 mins of biking. I am not finding this exercise enough to cut down my weight on the scales so need to refocus on food.

What other exercise do you find good which could also help build running stamina .. I was looking at the PX90 30 minuteDVD's (but not sure I can afford them).. I really love Jillian Michaels.

Replies

• blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I have heard the only thing you can do to get better at running is to run.

However, I like weight lifting. It feels like it prevents me from as much injury from running. Walking for when I don't have time to change but still want to cover some distance. I bet swimming would be really great too but that's not my thing. Also I'm sure biking is great. I've thought about dragging my stationary bike out of the garage.
  • dirtycxer
    dirtycxer Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Can you run to and from work a few days a week?
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Yoga. As you start increasing your mileage, your muscles will get sore and fatigued and you can lose flexiblity. Yoga can help counter some of the detriment you do from running. Plus, many poses help build and/or strength, which is helpful for the running.
    Just Google: Yoga and running. You'll find many Youtube videos that suggest poses or give sequences. One will lead you to others.
  • slimandsmiling
    slimandsmiling Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Yes I did think of running to work but we don't have a shower there and I wouldn't have enough time to change. I think I probably do also need to do more stretching as well so will keep that in mind. I think I may need to go back to doing my dvds and using the approach of something is better than nothing. My biking has got a lot better so think probably that is something to focus on more.I am loving biking even in rubbish weather. I never thought I would ever be as good as I am and now I am starting to do my own bike maintenance to which is great.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I run three times a week which I have done for years, and have started doing kettlebells a while ago to go with it to mix it up. I go to a kb class once a week and the rest of the week I work out with them at home following a youtube video.
  • Aed0416
    Aed0416 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    If you run you need to strength train. Hips and glutes and hamstrings. Your performance will increase and your risk of injury will decrease. I also do yoga on my rest days. It feels great.

I do jillian Michaels but I go rogue. I usually do fewer reps higher weights but follow her sequence and duration of exercises. I like her so it works for me.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    P90X3 is a good workout, but as others have said, the best way to get better at running is to run!
  • sxymom99
    sxymom99 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I do workout dvds at home. I have lost 25 lbs, had baby #5, 6 months ago, and gained a lot of muscle. I did T25, and now I'm mix and matching 10 minute solutions dvds. I love them! The cardio one helps muscle as well as cardio, and their pilates is great for muscle as well as stretching. :-)
  • lindsayh87
    lindsayh87 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    If you don't currently have time to run but want to get back in it when you do I found that keeping my cardio up is important. You can have the strength in your legs to run for days but if your cardio isn't still in good shape then it's really hard! I think that's why I used to hate running, I never did much cardio so when I did run it was so hard to even make it a mile. I started doing insanity and t25 and then the first time I went out running after a few months of that I surprised myself and was able to run a 5k! So find a good program that gets your heart pumping to supplement in the mean time. If you're looking for another exercise to do in combination with running, I would definitely say strength training. :)