Bad squat technique

I've recently joined a gym, during my induction I mentioned I would be interested in doing squats, lunges etc, when doing a squat the way I done for years in body pump classes the gym instructor said my technique is all wrong, I'm fine until I get to a certain point then bend too far forward which could cause injury. Problem is no matter how much I try I can't seem to correct this. I have a very exaggerated curve at the base of my spine and wonder if this is the problem

Replies

• Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    This is going to be the most unpopular opinion of the internet, but I speak from experience. I have tried for over a year to do a squat. I've watched videos, had a trainer help me, done the sitback thing for weeks to "get the feel of the form", posted here for help, etc. If you google "how to fix squat form", I've done it. Still can't squat. I won't give up trying because I'm stubborn, but until I find my magic fix, I've been using the leg press machine. ...I know, I know. The internet is all "MACHINES ARE EVIL! ONLY DO SQUATS!" ...well, when I use the machine, my back doesn't hurt, my glutes are engaged, my knees don't crunch, and I can get a full range of motion. It might be an option for you until you can nail down your proper technique. Good luck!
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Perhaps you could try squatting facing a wall to improve your positioning. Start as far away as you need to and try to move a little closer everyday. I've found this to be pretty effective getting people to keep their chest up in the bottom position of the squat. (The first drill on this list though all are useful http://breakingmuscle.com/mobility-recovery/squat-therapy-4-drills-that-will-improve-your-squat)
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Post a vid and we can help you much better...
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    edited February 2016
    I had the same issue that you do and this particular "how to" video had some form cues that unf**ked my squat in a major way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2b8UdqmlFs

The big ones for me were the core stabilization (actually pushing your abs out as much as you can instead of just flexing them) as well as focusing on keeping your weight on your midfoot and heels and driving your hips forward in order to come up (rather than trying to stand up using your quads). I can straight up feel a huge difference in how engaged my glutes are.
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    A good trainer can fix this for you. I suggest finding a powerlifting gym and pay for a one-on-one. You may need mobility exercises, they will assess you for this.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Not sure how bad you are based on what you saying.. If the bar is high on your back you will move forward a little more. If you lower the bar a little it's easier to stay more vertical. I try to keep my bar as straight horizontally as I can.
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    This is everything you need to know, including troubleshooting. http://stronglifts.com/squat/
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Not sure how bad you are based on what you saying.. If the bar is high on your back you will move forward a little more. If you lower the bar a little it's easier to stay more vertical. I try to keep my bar as straight horizontally as I can.

No, high bar position your torso is more vertical.

Low bar position you bend forward more.
  • Box squat.
  • jon08smom
    jon08smom Posts: 3 Member
    I have two suggestions:

First, try squatting in socked / bare feet. This will help you feel that your feet are in contact with the floor from toe to heel so that you're not rolling forward on your toes which can cause you to bend too far forward. Make sure your weight is distributed throughout your entire foot. You shouldn't feel your toes or your heels more in contact with the floor.
    Second: look up to the ceiling while you're doing the squat. This will keep your back straight. With your head in the upright position, it's harder to roll forward.

Give this a try with a light weight but with more weight than just the bar. You need to be able to feel the weight on your shoulders so that you can become more aware of your body position. Just the bar isn't enough. The sit back method isn't horrible but it becomes a crutch of sorts.

Hope this helps :)
  • ro55ymac
    ro55ymac Posts: 9 Member
    I agree with eeejer above. Get someone to coach you and advise you in real life, rather than people on the internet who haven't seen you squat. It's a very complex movement with lots of reasons why people have problems. What works for one person may not work for another. Don't expect a magic bullet either - you might just need to work at it.
  • Deckhand562
    Deckhand562 Posts: 76 Member
    What helped me was to do my squats in front of a mirror, slowly, so I could watch my form. I've been a regular gym rat for 2 years now and I still do my squats in front of a mirror so that I don't slouch or pick up any lazy bad form. Hope this helps!
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »

No, high bar position your torso is more vertical.

Low bar position you bend forward more.

Thanks you are right.. got it backwards!
  • G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    I don't think anyone here can diagnose the problem properly without a video.

Here's one factor to consider. Some trainers teach the squat in a very upright position, because they are taught that one must avoid all shear force on the spine. That is, the weight you lift should be entirely compressive and no bending forward with weight on your shoulders. Hence, they have their clients squat as upright as they can. However, a low bar squat will necessairly cause you to bend forward because you need to keep the bar centered above your feet, or risk falling backwards. With good squat form, there is no risk of hurting your spine with shear force.

Now good form does require you to keep your chest up, but chest up doesn't mean vertical with regards to the floor. Without more information, hard to say how to fix it. Look at good squat videos from reputable trainers and film yourself. Even better would be to get an experimented trainer to double check your form.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Just FYI I have seen many group power (same idea as body pump) instructors use horrible form in many of the lifts or at least at my gym. Maybe one out of all of them have ever lifted heavy. Most of them learnt their form from being participants in the class before getting certified.