Take THAT menopause! Bam! You got nothing on me...

Options

Replies

• lohlgren
    lohlgren Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm 49 and I gained 20 pounds in the last 7 years with menopause and three operations. Back-three herniated disks, partial histerectomy, and over six feet of my intestines removed. I thought I would loose weight with them taking so much out of me, but the numbers kept going up on the scales. I started MFP at the beginning of January and I am down 8 pounds. I'm not giving in to the middle-age spread either.

wow-that's a lot to deal with. Good for you for taking it on again and congrats!!
  • lohlgren
    Options
    Thank you everyone. It's a bit daunting to lay it all out there for the world to see-but reading others' stories has been helpful to me, so it was my turn.
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Really great example you set!
  • 2manyhats
    2manyhats Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Love your story! Thanks for sharing! !
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    You're an amazon. :smiley:
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    You're awesome! Thank you for sharing!

<3
  • chrissymfred
    chrissymfred Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You are so inspiring!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    You are the real deal!
    The epitome of successfully becoming, and more importantly, staying fit.
    A lot of us can lose the weight, but the vast majority do not keep it off.

A real role model to aspire to!

Thank you for sharing!
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I have to agree that menopause is not for the faint of heart. Great to hear your story of conquering it like a beast!
  • lousoulbody
    lousoulbody Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Taking a "pause" for the cause to say to you "Congratulations" on all you accomplishments, what a superior story and "thank you" for sharing!

• zumbalinda22
    zumbalinda22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Nothing more inspiring to this 55 year-old than seeing someone my age give menopause a good kick in the *** !! Good for you! Great job at losing the weight, and your long-term maintenance is awesome! You just gave me some new inspiration! Thank you, and keep going strong, warrior-woman! :smiley:
  • debbiesteinman
    debbiesteinman Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Love your success. I am 60 years old - gained 40 pounds after quitting smoking. Started weight training last year with a trainer (total of 15 months training). I did not see any change on the scale for 10 months but then my body started transforming. Start weight 170 lbs. at 10 months 164 lbs then weekly 1 pound loss. Tried on clothes from when I was slim and I could fit into them. Now 15 months later 145lbs. Still on my way to my previous weight of 125lbs. It is weird how the fat comes off when you gain a lot of weight at once. I must say it is so much harder to lose the weight at this age. I will do it though and success stories like yours will continue to inspire others -me included. I had 14 surgeries and have three disc herniations in my back so I know pain and I wanted to be healthy again. My motivation to get healthy-- I became a grandma and I want to be around to see him grow up and be healthy enough to play with him. I hope to get stronger and be super fit in my golden years - no wheelchair or canes for me. You are truly motivating.
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success! Hard work truly does pay off. I'm determined not to let this menopause thing win. I'm down 70lbs, have 60 to go. It can be done through menopause, underactive thyroid, poor liver function and hormone imbalances. It just takes work and perseverance. Great job, I admire your determination and will look to your example when I hit bumps in the road. :smiley:
  • WinBattle
    WinBattle Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You are an inspiration to this 54 year old trying to lose 65 lbs (19.5 so far). I loved how I felt when I was taking Women on Weights classes at the Y, 20 years ago, and know that I need to add weight training to build up muscles and tighten flab as I continue to lose weight. Will hang your picture in our exercise room for inspiration. Time to dust off weight machine, free weights, and bench. Thank you!
  • bnovak226
    bnovak226 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    32 and I wanna be like u!! Great job!!
  • fitnesslover74
    fitnesslover74 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Wow! This is so encouraging! So happy to see someone in the over 40 club like myself who is happy and healthy. You showed me it can be done! Way to go!
  • lohlgren
    Options
    I'm 49 and have been in maintenance for a year and a half after losing almost 80 pounds. I haven't hit menopause yet, but I sincerely hope I meet the challenges in such a positive way as you have. You're awesome!

Congratulations!! Don't EVER forget how good this feels! And it works for me to never allow more than a 4 lb gain before hitting the logs again. I feel for those who keep putting it back on, but I don't understand it. I'm not saying maintenance is easy, but to confront being obese again isn't an option for me. I also accept that it's a lifelong struggle-I have truly believed that I will wake up being fat tomorrow. Even after 11 years! So I accept that that is a bit of a disfunction, but I want to battle it on THIS side of the scale.
  • lohlgren
    Options
    Love your success. I am 60 years old - gained 40 pounds after quitting smoking. Started weight training last year with a trainer (total of 15 months training). I did not see any change on the scale for 10 months but then my body started transforming. Start weight 170 lbs. at 10 months 164 lbs then weekly 1 pound loss. Tried on clothes from when I was slim and I could fit into them. Now 15 months later 145lbs. Still on my way to my previous weight of 125lbs. It is weird how the fat comes off when you gain a lot of weight at once. I must say it is so much harder to lose the weight at this age. I will do it though and success stories like yours will continue to inspire others -me included. I had 14 surgeries and have three disc herniations in my back so I know pain and I wanted to be healthy again. My motivation to get healthy-- I became a grandma and I want to be around to see him grow up and be healthy enough to play with him. I hope to get stronger and be super fit in my golden years - no wheelchair or canes for me. You are truly motivating.

Nice work! Congratulations-it does work when you work it!
  • lohlgren
    Options
    ames105 wrote: »
    Congratulations on your success! Hard work truly does pay off. I'm determined not to let this menopause thing win. I'm down 70lbs, have 60 to go. It can be done through menopause, underactive thyroid, poor liver function and hormone imbalances. It just takes work and perseverance. Great job, I admire your determination and will look to your example when I hit bumps in the road. :smiley:

Absolutely-there's a lot you can't control, especially as we age, but we can control our diet and exercise!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    fab!, yep, you have to kick its butt!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!