Diet soda?

Options
I don't drink much diet soda but am wondering if it will effect my weight loss? I drink a ton of water and crystal lights but once in a while I love diet dr pepper! Would love to hear people's thoughts or stories! Thanks!! :)

Replies

• stmokomoko
    stmokomoko Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    In Rick Astley's words, "Never gonna give you uppp..."

zero calories is zero calories, at the most basic level. Debates as to nutritional impact of chemicals, will inevitably follow.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    There are some theories that excessive diet drink consumption can upset one's gut bacteria, which can affect weight. However, the studies out there so far have been referring to people who consume waaaay more diet soda than what is necessary (a six to twelve pack every day).

Other than that, diet soda is a calorie-free drink. Studies that link artificial sweeteners to weight gain, once again - are dubious and refer to excessive drinking. Additionally, it's been found that your body actually uses the water from the diet drink, just as it would with any other liquid, dispelling the belief that the diuretic nature of the caffeine would leave you more dehydrated after drinking it.

So, no - a "once in a while" diet Dr. Pepper should not affect your weight. I've lost a ton of weight by drinking the same thing a couple of times a month.
  • mandietippets
    mandietippets Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Awesome thank you!! I had stopped all together and am doing well in my weight loss but bought some at the store yesterday. I maybe drink 8 ounces every 1-2 days! I guess I'll test it out and if I notice a halt in my weight loss I can stop. Thank you for your help! :)
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    There are some theories that excessive diet drink consumption can upset one's gut bacteria, which can affect weight. However, the studies out there so far have been referring to people who consume waaaay more diet soda than what is necessary (a six to twelve pack every day).

Other than that, diet soda is a calorie-free drink. Studies that link artificial sweeteners to weight gain, once again - are dubious and refer to excessive drinking. Additionally, it's been found that your body actually uses the water from the diet drink, just as it would with any other liquid, dispelling the belief that the diuretic nature of the caffeine would leave you more dehydrated after drinking it.

So, no - a "once in a while" diet Dr. Pepper should not affect your weight. I've lost a ton of weight by drinking the same thing a couple of times a month.

This is basically what I wanted to say.

I used to drink 2-3 regular Dr. Peppers a day. I switched to diet and lost 10 pounds with very little effort. Too bad that was 15 years ago and I can't make the switch second time! But I am losing at a reasonable rate, drinking 1-2 Diet Dr. Peppers at work each day. (They are provided free in the office...) Am trying to cut back because of some minor acid reflux issues but it is not affecting my weight loss.
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    zero calories is zero calories - it won't stop weight loss. I drink a diet coke once a day to once every other day. I've still lost over 100 lbs.
  • mandietippets
    mandietippets Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    SolotoCEO wrote: »
    zero calories is zero calories - it won't stop weight loss. I drink a diet coke once a day to once every other day. I've still lost over 100 lbs.

100 pounds!!! That is amazing!! Congratulations! I admire people who are able to do that it is not an easy thing.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Agree with the advice given above. The drinks are zero calories (well, not exactly - but they're close), and will not affect your deficit. I drink diet sodas daily and they have not affected my weight loss.