Fat Head - Documentary

Options
First, let me say that I just finished watching it and my head is spinning, because it basically claims that everything we've been taught about what we should eat is wrong. For example, the guy explains that high cholesterol is not linked to heart disease -according to research-, but sugar is.

Now, having an Italian boyfriend, I have experienced first hand the way Italians eat: lots of pasta, everyday, and olive oil. So, why is the mediterranean diet linked to low risk of heart disease? I know they also eat fish and vegetables, but in my experience, those are just add-ons to a pasta dish.

What am I missing here?

PS: thanks the mfp poster that recommended this documentary a few days ago.

Replies

• Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Pasta is very good for you as long as it isn't refined--you have to get wheat pasta or quinoa pasta rather than white, then its great for you!
    Olive oil does have a significant amount of fat but its a healthy kind of fat, plenty healthy for you! Just make sure to get extra virgin so that the nutrients aren't processed out of it.
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I tried to watch that documentary, and I couldn't get through it. As far as I could tell, the guy was too busy bashing Spurlock to get to the point about anything really.

I believe that if you dig deep enough, you can find research to support just about anything. I'm sure you could even find studies that say that smoking doesn't cause cancer!
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I tried to watch that documentary, and I couldn't get through it. As far as I could tell, the guy was too busy bashing Spurlock to get to the point about anything really.

I believe that if you dig deep enough, you can find research to support just about anything. I'm sure you could even find studies that say that smoking doesn't cause cancer!

Same here.

I swear that documentary was funded by McDonald's as a desperate attempt to discredit Super Size Me. The whole thing is complete non sense.
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I've seen the documentary & even follow the blog site. It definitely made a lot of sense, & I know some that couldn't get passed his humor or have believed so wholeheartedly what the government has put out there for so long that they couldn't believe anything else. I know of dieticians that called the former "food pyramid" the pyramid of death. Everyone believes something different & I agree, you can find research that contradicts everything else.

My belief is everything in moderation. The less processing a food goes through the better.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options

I agree. The narrator treats the viewer like they are retarded. But someone else on here suggested to just overlook that and stick it out, and it'll get interesting. I did, and it did. It ended up being pretty informative.

You want to watch a great documentary, watched "Tapped", about the bottled water industry. Very eye-opening.
  • monosyllabic_girl
    Options
    I am currently on a low-carb, high-fat, moderate protein diet....and I LOVE IT. I feel better physically and I've lost 11lbs so far. I have tried many many diets and this is my favorite (I can have bacon!!!). Granted it is not for everyone and it took me quite a while to get over the fact that fat is ok. If you want to do a bit more reading on it here is a great website to check out and if you have any questions about my experience i'd be more than happy to share! http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    First, let me say that I just finished watching it and my head is spinning, because it basically claims that everything we've been taught about what we should eat is wrong. For example, the guy explains that high cholesterol is not linked to heart disease -according to research-, but sugar is.

Now, having an Italian boyfriend, I have experienced first hand the way Italians eat: lots of pasta, everyday, and olive oil. So, why is the mediterranean diet linked to low risk of heart disease? I know they also eat fish and vegetables, but in my experience, those are just add-ons to a pasta dish.

What am I missing here?

PS: thanks the mfp poster that recommended this documentary a few days ago.

There's definately some interesting info in there, but like everyone else trying to present a point, he omits things that are inconvienet and slants things in his favor. If you take something a comedian said as gospel truth and base your diet off it you might need to have your head examined. Now if you do your own research and find that you agree with some of the things he said based on that, then ok, but suddenly deciding to eat olive oil by the cup and bacon by the pound just because a documentary said it wasn't bad is just as bad as watching a documentary and deciding mcdonalds owners are single handedly trying to kill off the populace.