How do you prepare for long walk/jog?

Options
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for suggestions and tips on preparing for long walks such as over 6 miles.
I get dehydrated but don't like carrying so much stuff in my hands like phone, water bottle, sometimes my dog and her leash.
Any great items to help organize on these long walks and still be comfortable? Special back packs etc that you use?

Thank you!

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    if you get dehydrated during a run, you are most likely dehydrated way before you ever take a step outside your house. try to maintain a high level of hydration throughout the day, so that you can avoid carrying extra items during your excursion.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    You can look at things like a Camelpak:

http://www.camelbak.com/

Or simply look for running belts that hold water bottles. Tons of options out there so you can keep your hands free.
  • shells22
    shells22 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I walked an 8 mile hike and I placed my phone and keys in my back pocket. I brought 2 bottles of water but a friend of mine who has done that hike before held that.

I recommend Naturehike Outdoor Backpack- its like $20 on amazon, hope that helps. Definitely wear pants with zippers so nothing falls if you don't want a backpack and bring a Quest bar- I didn't bring food and was famished on the way back. Have fun!
  • motown13
    motown13 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    brandiuntz wrote: »
    You can look at things like a Camelpak:

http://www.camelbak.com/

Or simply look for running belts that hold water bottles. Tons of options out there so you can keep your hands free.

Those are great, but if they are too pricey, a nice backpack will do.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Google these things:

Hydration packs (this is the category Camelbaks are in)
    Hydration belts (wear on your waist, usually have built in water bottles and pockets of various sizes)
    Waistpack/belt (honestly, just a new sleeker term for fanny pack)

Then decide how much you'll really be carrying.

I have a Fuel Belt waistpack, its small but holds my phone & keys, and I have an add on water bottle that I can bring if I need it, or leave if I don't.
  • quickster147
    quickster147 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I try to drink a quart of water before i walk. Then i grab my phone and headphones and etc. and head out for my walk. I have never had a problem with dehydration even on the hottest days and i sweat a lot. I drink a lot of water at least a gallon a day more in the summer.
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    For me it all depends on where the walk is taking place. If I'm hoofing it through the mountains, I wear a backpack and carry a water bottle and maybe a snack or two. If I'm wandering around town it's usually fairly easy to locate a drinking fountain. Also, make sure to hydrate before you go!
  • runsonrabbitfood
    runsonrabbitfood Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'd also suggest a hydration backpack or waist pack if you like being hands free. dolfinpack has some more minimalistic ones if you like simplicity. Camelbaks and Nathan sports have some good ones as well.
  • MimiOfTheFraserValley
    Options
    Like people said, maintaining regular hydration is key to all parts of life, but especially when you're exercising a lot. If you're going for a long walk, it's good to have a healthy snack along, as someone else mentioned so that you have fuel along the way. Using a light backpack or other pack that'll allow you to carry a water bottle, snack, ID, & keys is good, or a pair of pants/shorts with pockets that can close is important as well, as they let your hands be free. Good footwear is also very important - you have to protect your feet with suitable shoes & socks. A change of socks along if you're going on a longer walk/hike is also a good idea. Then just go out there, one step at a time, & enjoy!! :smiley:
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    It all depends. What's the weather like? Can you stop at a 7-11 or is this way outside of town?

Bringing a bottle of water along is probably all that's necessary. You can walk that in 2 hours I'm sure.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i make sure I'm dressed appropriately, someone knows i'm going out and about when I'll be back
    i have a waist belt that that has pockets for Chomps, keys, and phone and doggy bags. it also has a spot for water.
    i choose my footwear by what sort of terrain I'll be on
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I use a waist pack when I run long enough that I need to carry water. But that's probably not until 8+ miles in the heat.

I have a pretty serious plan for hydration. Chug as much water as I possibly can, then quit chugging about 45m-1 hour before I go out so I don't have to pee the whole time I'm out. I still get puffy hands when I walk, but I think it's just the way they are being held. I don't get that when I run since my hands are up.
  • Jan123
    Jan123 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the great tips. I will look into the camelpak, waist belt and especially hydrating way before long walks. Excellent suggestions! Thank you again everyone!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Unless it's stupid hot most people don't need water on a 6 mile walk or run.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Unless it's stupid hot most people don't need water on a 6 mile walk or run.

Absolutely not true for walking, especially if that walk includes elevation gain. A Camelbak allows you to drink while walking, without having to stop to dig your water bottle out of your pack, so you stay better hydrated. The problem with drinking a ton before you set out is that you will have to pee within a half hour or so. If you're walking 6 miles, this will be about 1/3 of the way through your walk (depending on how fast you are going). If you're staying properly hydrated you will have to pee at least once during your walk. Make sure you take pee breaks into consideration when you plan your route.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    "Absolutely not true for walking"? Sorry, but I have to agree with Packerjohn. If it's just a six-mile walk or run, then you shouldn't need to carry any hydration unless it's wickedly hot out there.

An exception might be if there are horrific amounts of elevation gain. For modest hills though, it simply shouldn't be necessary as long as you hydrate well beforehand.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Well, it also depends on the person. I do know people who hike 6 miles in 2 hours with about 1400 feet of elevation in the first 3 miles and just drink before and after. But I must drink during or I get tired more quickly and the hike is just not enjoyable.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i've gone on numerous long runs and bike rides where i have had to take in very little to no amount of water. it really depends on how well you stay hydrated before your event.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I ran 6 miles last night, sweated a ton, I didn't feel the need to hydrate during the run at all. I guess everyones body is different...
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. If I'm going beyond 5 miles, I carry water with me just in case. Most of the time, unless it's hot, I don't drink much of it.
    Also, it really depends on speed- my 6 mile hike times run about 2 hours. I could probably go without water, I chose not to. (One kidney stone and you really learn a big lesson about staying well hydrated!).

Anyway, I have a waist pack that holds two good sized bottles for hiking, also has room for keys, my emergency asthma inhaler, park pass, etc. For longer - 6 mile plus where I'm not speed-walking, it's great. I also have a much cheaper water bottle waist-back with little shaped bottles that I think I got at Target? Maybe? REI? that holds less than half the water of my big pack, but form-fits for running when I want to go faster. I don't like shoulder straps, so the hydration bag bagpacks don't feel comfortable for me at all (darn ddds!). My husband has a 2 liter CamelBack bag that he really likes.