After being sick, when to get back to the gym?

Options
I know the answer from most would be something along the lines of :listen to your body...". But here it is, I had the flu last week.. I'm talking couldn't get out of bed for three days or eat (lost 3% of my weight over those three days). Following that wonderful ordeal, I got a cold. Now, a week and a half later, I'm still coughing, a little tired but worried I am setting myself back. I am in the NROLFW program and was doing a weekly 5k run (I'm not a runner so that is plenty for me). Anyway, I want to get back to the gym but worried I will get there, pick something up that should be easy and have issues which I will find super discouraging. How do you push through that? Have I taken too much time off as is? I am finding I am still out of breath going up the stairs and my appetite is starting to come back as of yesterday.

Replies

• EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    No, you haven't taken too much time off. It sounds like you had one hell of a bug. It sounds like you need a little more time to recuperate if the stairs are currently a daunting challenge. But once that's done, heck yeah, try returning to the gym. I bet it'll be a triumphant visit! Good luck!
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Go back and keep the workout short for a couple days. Chances are you'll feel more energized after a short workout.
  • mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    You can exercise through a cold but not through the flu. Since you seem to be completely over the flu, I would say some exercise should be fine. I would maybe start with cardio - walking and your normal run (albeit possibly slower than usual) this week and get back to NROLFW next week with a fresh start from where you left off, rather than trying to jump back in mid-week without all your energy back yet. Hopefully the cardio will help you push off the last of your symptoms - good luck!
  • petersonma
    petersonma Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to get over a cold too. Exercising through the cold actually helped me. But I also didn't push anything hard. I went an easier route on the days I didn't feel good. I think you should start exercising again. Start slow and if it still feels like to much, be willing to ease back. Keep this up until you are also past the cold.
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, I will try and do a walk and see how that goes, maybe up it to a run :)
  • ciacyrus29
    ciacyrus29 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am coming off of having asthmatic bronchitis which turned into bronchitis. I've been fighting with myself trying to determine when is best as well. Since I had double knee replacement and am due for another replacement of my replacement - I've been wanting to go back and get in the therapy pool but have been concerned because water and cold weather. My hope is to return this weekend. I hope you feel better soon.
  • mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Honestly I would take more time off until you're 100%. The last thing you want to do, like you said, is pick something up again. Your body is telling you to rest. I'd listen to it.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    As long as you are no longer contagious you can go back to the gym. I'm not referring to you but people in general so please don't take offense to the next statement: People think they are "strong", etc by going to the gym while sick but as someone who is immunesuppressed I don't want to have to wear a mask or avoid the gym because someone decided they have to work out while sick and not care about everyone else.