VERTIGO and food!

Options
I am in the process of getting diagnosed for my severe chronic vertigo. It is now narrowed down to Meniere's Disease or Vestibular Migraines, with symptoms pointing more towards Meniere's.

I want to hear what triggers your vertigo.. Diet or otherwise. I do not know anyone in my real life that has this so I feel very alone and lost, and would like any advice or words of wisdom that you can give me.

It seems that heavy amounts of sodium trigger an attack for me, and chocolate/caffeine. I seem to still experience vertigo randomly with herbal (no-caffeine) teas. What could be the cause of that??

I would love to hear any words of advice, recipes, things to avoid, questions, your personal triggers, medications or things that help prevent an attack, or relief during an attack, safe foods, particular elimination diet instructions, etc. etc.

Meg

Replies

• sparklyhippos
    sparklyhippos Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I should note if it's not already obvious - I believe certain foods/ingredients are the #1 cause for my vertigo attacks. It's just very difficult to narrow it down to specifics. This being said, let me know if there is any non-food-related things that trigger it for you, too!
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I get vertigo occasionally (no migraines). I notice mine gets triggered with a certain movement of my jaw. I can't describe it but often I'll feel the effect right after I moved my jaw somehow. Doesn't sound like mine is as severe as yours.

I haven't noticed any food triggers, but I went through a period of time where I didn't know I was lactose intolerant and kept getting sick and had to figure that out. In retrospect it should have been obvious perhaps, but I wasn't expecting to 'become' lactose intolerant as an adult. So I know how frustrating it can be. Hopefully by keeping a food log and a log of your events you can narrow it down.
  • susiejof
    susiejof Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have vertigo and have been struggling with it for about a year and a half. I finished an array of tests during the last couple of months and the results meant my neurologist said that I have 'central' vertigo. Because I've had migraines in the past he is having me try the drug protocol for Migraine associated vertigo, aka MAV. Still in process and will probably be adjusting my dosage upward next month in the hope of further relief. There's a pretty active MAV group on face book that you should check out.
    I've noticed several bad vertigo days after eating multiple high sodium restaurant meals on the previous day (traveling or just by chance eating out several times in one day). Not sure about caffeine as a trigger, I still consume it and haven't noted a relationship. A bad night's sleep makes my symptoms escalate. Good luck
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Yes to caffeine, also milk and cheese can set off my migraines which can then escalate
    I feel for you. I hope you get some answers and can reduce your symptoms
  • susiejof
    susiejof Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Also, have you seen a physical therapist who can teach you how to do VRT exercises? They are meant to help rebuild nerve pathways and accommodate your body to your vertigo plus exercises to improve your system of proprioception (balance). Those exercises didn't cure me but they really, really kept my constant nausea subdued and improved my balance. Super, super helpful. :)
  • TorontoDiane
    TorontoDiane Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    I have had vestibular neuronitis a few times in my life.. pretty scary .. but a physical therapist helped me a lot ... I had it for nearly a year.. and one day I saw her after seeing her quite a few times.. and the dizziness stopped.. I felt like I was handled a million dollars.. what a relief.. there are dizzy clinics in the Toronto area that are in local hospitals and they can pin point what is really going on...
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I had vertigo once. Since I had no symptoms prior (only feeling dizzy/earth moving) and the treatment exercises worked, my GP said it was the type that's loose calcium deposits shifting. The majority of it went away after the GP diagnosis (she did the Dix-Hallpike test), but I felt off the next day. I haven't had it since, about 3-4 months ago.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    For me , I find that the weather really affects me. Air pressure changes bring on my vertigo. The doctor has never been able to help. He gave me the exercises that didn't work for me. I'm also thinking that stress is a culprit in triggering my dizziness. I've suffered on and off for years. The only food that I believe has caused it is a sugar overload. I don't have migraine headaches. Vertigo can be very debilitating.
  • motivatedsister
    motivatedsister Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    For me it's usually when I'm sick and my ears get pressure and then usually related to some movement. The couple of times it happens it was after I rolled over in bed; so more attributed to some calcium deposits shifting. It's the worst feeling in the world! The exercises help me get to feeling back to normal.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    My grandmother and dad have Meniere's. Their doctor gave them exercises to do (which they hate) and told them to cut their sodium to a pretty low amount. Meniere's has to do with the amount of fluid and calcium build up in your ears. Clearly we need calcium, but doing the exercises can cause the calcium to break off sooner so that the attack isn't as jarring (basically, you cause tiny attacks by doing the exercises that allow you to function normally the rest of the time).
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I have vertigo a few times a year. It is definitely debilitating for me. I have narrowed my vertigo down to having sensitive ears. Like, being outside in the wind (I now wear ear bags on high windy days when cycling) and swimming/showering without ear plugs. Sorry, I have never connected my vertigo to food. I may have to start journaling it and look for a connection.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I've always suffered from irregular vertigo (usually it comes and goes in a day, but sometimes I'll get a more severe bout that lasts for weeks). I'm in a long bout of it right now, it usually happens during the allergy season and/or large air pressure changes. I take meclizine, an antihistamine, and a nasal steroid. I'm considering using a neti pot for prevention, since the antihistimine doesn't seem to prevent it completely. (My doctor suggested using a nasal steroid during the allergy season for prevention, but it's not the allergy season yet, so I just used it when the vertigo started.) I've never heard of vertigo being triggered by diet. My diet is pretty bland and consistent, so I haven't noticed any correlation between my diet and vertigo.

Either way, it's a really obnoxious (and debilitating) affliction because you don't look ill. I don't think people really understand unless they actually see you go down for no reason. My ex was present when I bent over to feed the cats and fell backwards several feet until I hit our stove. It scared the bejesus out of him, but no one else has ever witnessed this because I'm so careful whenever I'm having a bout. (If I bend over, I hold onto something.) So I hope you find something that works for you.
  • jennyonthespot
    jennyonthespot Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Meniere's Disease about 9 years ago. I used to smoke, but that was a trigger, so I quit. For me, it seems like there's not one huge trigger, but the combination of at least two or three triggers that would cause an attack. Stress, dehydration, caffeine, highly processed high-sodium foods (fast foods, ramen noodles, lunch meat), and hormones seem to be the main ones. I used to have severe attacks every month, but they have subsided to a minor attack every year or so. Exercise, stress management, and hydration have been incredibly instrumental in managing my Meniere's. I still have coffee every day and I still eat out every now and then, but I am always careful to stay hydrated. Best of luck to you!
  • jennyonthespot
    jennyonthespot Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Oh also, when my ear is feeling full, a strong decongestant helps a lot. The ones from behind the counter at the pharmacy. I stick to Mucinex D generally. For when you're in the throws of an attack, those motion sick patches are a God-send. You have to get a prescription, but they WORK. You might still be dizzy, but at least you won't be throwing up bile for hours on end. Sorry if that was graphic, just keeping it real.
  • sparklyhippos
    Options
    Sorry for the very late reply.. It's been a very rough week.

I'm so surprised to hear that more people's vertigo is not food-triggered! A lot of people are suggesting the vestibule exercises.. Does anyone have a specific recommendation? I do have a list of them from a "vertigo doctor" that I saw in the summer, but they are SO nauseating I'm always afraid it will set me back if I try again..

WickedPinapple, would another antihistamine compare to meclizine? I took some benadryl this morning to see if it would help, and it hasn't made a difference yet. Antihistamines don't tend to help me but I'll try anything at this point.

Jenny, was it just cigarettes (i.e. nicotine) that was your trigger, or did smoking in general (i.e. marijuana, if you partake) trigger it? I am relieved to talk to someone that actually has Meniere's Disease because I do not know anyone in real life with it. Could I friend you? Also when you say that hormones are a trigger, do you mean on your period? I have NOT tried a decongestant yet but I'm going to try that today.. Will the pharmacy give it to me if I tell them it's for vertigo lol? And I haven't been vomiting since the main attack last weekend, I've just been cycling between varying degrees of dizziness since then.
  • Tudorsfan1509
    Tudorsfan1509 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I get bouts of vertigo each year which I think goes hand in hand with my chronic loud tinnitus in both ears. ( so many ear problems, ugh......) I've had some major ear damage and I know that on my Daily Stength Support Forum, there are LOTS of folks with meineres disease. And they all have said diet triggers it! They even list what they have cut out and avoid at all costs. Pretty interesting. I recommend popping over to the Daily Strength Tinnitus support group - they might even have a Meineres Disease support forum now. You will not feel alone. Sadly, there are a lot of people suffering from it. And I have read in the past people making symptoms virtually disappear thanks to diet. Good luck!!!
  • sparklyhippos
    Options
    Tudors, thank you so much for your inspiring words. I will most definitely check it out! :)<3
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I get severe vertigo at times. I also get migraines and have allergies and food sensitivities. I have tried many times to narrow down foods that might be causing it. I have had success in discovering what foods trigger migraines for me, but my vertigo triggers seem to be a mystery.
  • sparklyhippos
    Options
    Do you mind me asking what foods trigger your migraines?
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Do you mind me asking what foods trigger your migraines?

MSG, artificial sweeteners, hard cheeses, the smell of peanuts/peanut butter (I have a peanut allergy anyway), and red wine.