Following ketogenic diet

Options
2»

Replies

• neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    steffb503 wrote: »
    Hoping someone can help. I have been doing Keto since Jan 15Th. I went over on carbs one day about halfway through. I lost an initial 8 lbs and a few inches across the board. But then nothing. What am I doing wrong? Not giving it enough time?
    I really find it simple to keep carbs between 20-30 grams a day.
    Trust me I have tried every thing this seems like the only plan I can actually stick with.

Are you also counting calories? Keto isn't magic, so if you eat the same quantity of calories as you have been you won't lose weight.

Many people find they naturally eat less food on a ketogenic diet because the fat is satiating - but that is not true for all people, so you may need to set a calorie cap for yourself as well as a carb cap.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    jamkelly10 wrote: »
    I wouldn't go overboard on following Ketogenic diets. . . .

If you want to debate the merits of ketogenic diets v. other diets, there is now a debate forum for that purpose: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/nutrition-debate
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    To track net carbs on here, just use this link. Just make sure you track fibre or else it wont work.

http://www.travelinglowcarb.com/4448/myfitnesspal-hack/
  • no_day_but_2day
    no_day_but_2day Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    shionmfp wrote: »
    Hoping someone can help. I have been doing Keto since Jan 15Th. I went over on carbs one day about halfway through. I lost an initial 8 lbs and a few inches across the board. But then nothing. What am I doing wrong? Not giving it enough time?
    Trust me I have tried every thing this seems like the only plan I can actually stick with.

I have the same problem. I already lost 10 lbs before keto and 10 more after I started. I haven't lost weight after losing 20 lbs total but I'm hoping to lose 20 more.

DON'T GIVE UP. It's only been a month!!!!!!!!!!

So are saying to just give it more time?

Yes!! Why would you give up on anything after a month?! Weightloss is not a miracle.
  • cdlee1010
    cdlee1010 Posts: 251 Member
    Options

I have the same problem. I already lost 10 lbs before keto and 10 more after I started. I haven't lost weight after losing 20 lbs total but I'm hoping to lose 20 more.

Yes!! Why would you give up on anything after a month?! Weightloss is not a miracle.

THIS! And, maybe try forcing yourself to drink more water throughout the day.
  • shans34
    shans34 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Every "lifestyle" plan I have tried, I at least gave it 3 months before I gave up on it. However, this lower carb/ not quite ketogenic that I have been doing for a month now, I love it. It is giving me what I need so far. I hope to keep this up indefinitely.
  • SteveMarshall_UK
    SteveMarshall_UK Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Good discussion all :smiley:

I have been trying Ketogenics, but find it clouds my head when down to running on ketones, any advice on how to have a clear head ?
  • steffb503
    steffb503 Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Sorry i was not clear. I lost all of this in the first week. But I will stick with it. I drink about 1/2 gallon of water everyday.
  • mrbgraziano
    mrbgraziano Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I also began a ketogenic diet. It's been about three days and I am already seeing a difference. Potentially the loss of water weight. It's incredibly challenging to stay below 30-50 grams of carbohydrates! I live off of eggs, turkey and Quest Bars (although, I don't believe these are quite the best choice due to its ingredients). I'd love to make new acquaintances. Please feel free to add me! Thanks and stay motivated!
  • mrbgraziano
    mrbgraziano Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Question: should I be concerned about my cholesterol level when in a ketogenic diet?
  • beatrix71
    beatrix71 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello there,

I just signed up to MFP, and also trying ketogenic diet which I started lats Saturday 2/13), so I am on the 5th day.
    My carb intake is very much reduced, basically I am eating ham, cheese, nuts, peanut butter, and not cheating at all. I have a sedentary lifestyle, and somewhat feeling not strong enough to exercise.
    Surprisingly, I have not lost a lot, maybe 2 lbs.
    I am wondering what I am not doing right.

I would be also definitely interested in seeing keto folks sharing their experiences, be it a failure or success. We all learn from failures too, right?

Thanks,
    B
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Two pounds in 5 days is not a lot?
  • beatrix71
    beatrix71 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Bob314159 wrote: »
    Two pounds in 5 days is not a lot?

Uhm, is it?
  • Bob314159
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Most sources suggest a maximum loss of 2 lbs per 7 days. Of course - your results in the first week or two are mot an indication of the future - when you jump into real ketogenic - the body does weird things while re-adjusting.
  • no_day_but_2day
    no_day_but_2day Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Question: should I be concerned about my cholesterol level when in a ketogenic diet?

Conclusion on a Ketogenic Diet’s Connections with Cholesterol

Cholesterol is a complicated molecule in the body that comes in many different forms – each with different clinical significance. That said, an abundant amount of research suggests that low-carb, high-fat ketogenic diets have a clinically-positive impact on each form. More specifically:

Ketogenic diets increase the concentrations of heart-healthy HDL cholesterol more than low-fat, high-carb diets. [11, 12]
    Lowering carbohydrate consumption in healthy individuals also leads to higher levels of HDL cholesterol. [13]
    Low-carb, high-fat diets decrease LDL particle concentration (LDL-P) and increase the size of LDL cholesterol. [22, 23]
    Ketogenic diets decrease the amount of harmful VLDL cholesterol in the blood. [22, 23]

All in all, this is strong information that shows the carbohydrate restriction as emphasized in the ketogenic diet can be a healthy choice for you.

http://www.ruled.me/the-ketogenic-diet-and-cholesterol/
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I have been trying Ketogenics, but find it clouds my head when down to running on ketones, any advice on how to have a clear head ?

You've got the keto flu...meaning your eletrolytes are out of balance. Up your salt intake immediately!! When you follow this way of eating (WOE) your body requires anywhere from 3000mg - 5000mg of sodium. You may also need to supplement magnesium and potassium. Salt your food heavily (you will not be able to get enough salt in your diet with just this method alone!). Add salt to whatever liquid you are drinking. Dissolve a bouillon cube in the appropriate amount of water and drink a cube 1-2 times a day. This will help.
  • Farmlife4
    Farmlife4 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm on the keto diet too! My
    Hypoglycemia has finally gotten to a point where being blissfully unaware isn't blissful. So, here I am- seeking less sugar crashes and to loose 20-25 pounds. I'm currently nursing my 12 month old. What are your custom settings? I found a blog that laid it out, and I followed their instructions. But what should my calorie intake be given that I breastfeed? I DO want to lose weight. But I don't want to stop breastfeeding. -Respectful comments only please:-)
  • agdunbar
    agdunbar Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go overboard on following Ketogenic diets. They may be ok for dropping weight quickly In the Short run but in the long term could cause you harm. If you consume virtually no carbs I.e no glucose your body will make glucose because it needs it. It does this by a process known as gluconeogenisis whereby the proteins are converted into glucose to support your energy demands. If you want to loose weight, just reduce your pro, carb and fat levels and it shouldn't be a problem. It's unlikely you will live the rest of your life avoiding carbs, so enjoy them in moderation.
    Also glucose from carbs not protein or fat is the superior fuel source for the brain.

You are slightly misinformed regarding carbs. The body is more adept at using Ketones as a fuel source and not carbs, providing you keep the body in a state of ketosis through a LCHF lifestyle.. and this NOT ketoacidosis (a common misconception) . You can trace this nutrional way of life to our ancestors and ancient Paleo lifestyles. Too much glucose from carbs is harmful, whereas ketosis state benefits the body in the ling term. The kidneys, liver, heart & brain actually benefit from it. I recommend you read Keto Clarity is an eye opener and quells any scepticism.
  • Bob314159
    Options
    Try reading this [a pretty "normal" source of info]

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/mind-guest-blog/the-fat-fueled-brain-unnatural-or-advantageous/

I wouldn't go overboard on following Ketogenic diets. They may be ok for dropping weight quickly In the Short run but in the long term could cause you harm. If you consume virtually no carbs I.e no glucose your body will make glucose because it needs it. It does this by a process known as gluconeogenisis whereby the proteins are converted into glucose to support your energy demands. If you want to loose weight, just reduce your pro, carb and fat levels and it shouldn't be a problem. It's unlikely you will live the rest of your life avoiding carbs, so enjoy them in moderation.
    Also glucose from carbs not protein or fat is the superior fuel source for the brain.

• MaryFeatherstone
    Options
    Suggesting to read the to better understand ketogenic lifestyle. http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Ketogenic_diet_-_a_connection_between_mitochondria_and_diet