Shin splints really bad

Options
Hello I wanted to ask you guys for your input. I have been having shin splints really bad, I decided to stop running and follow the R.I.C.E protocol. It has been working and my shins are feeling better but they are still tender to touch or if I jump I get pain.
it has been a week since I last ran, I really feel guilty as it took me 2 months to get to this stage, I do not want it to be wasted. I was thinking of buying orthodontics insoles I believe its my running form that caused this to happen I think my feet goes inwards if that makes sense which causes the pain. what should I do just rest and stretch

Replies

• lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Ouch! I am not a runner, but I have had shin splints from poor shoe support. If they are still tender, I would continue to rest. (Just a quick response until others get here)
  • UG77
    UG77 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    There are some stretches out there that will help, I'll let you google them. Also some strengthening exercises you can do to help. If you've already over done it then most likely you're looking at some down time where you're going to have to do cross training to get your cardio.

Consider what type of surface you're running on as well. I used to get some shin pain when I had to run on concrete but not on softer more forgiving surfaces.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Way back in my USAF time I got 'sentenced' to participating in a men's aerobics class on base. Very quickly I developed bad shin splints from the pounding. After they passed I started taking tylenol before each class.
    Now that I have arthritis in my feet all I do is swim and spinning classes. Both do more than just aerobic workout.
  • BloodPriestess
    BloodPriestess Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I suffered shin splints quite badly myself, and I went about a month with out any improvement before I finally went to the doctor. Upon discussing it with him, I was told I went too hard too fast. I had very quickly increased the speed and length of my treadmill sessions. I was instructed to rest, use heat, keeping my leg elevated and the hard part, no exercise for two weeks. I was also instructed to take it easy when I returned to using the treadmill. I had to slow it down.

Like you I hated having to do it as I had put in a lot of work and it hadn't been easy to maintain the routine I had set for myself. Some days I really struggled to get myself on that treadmill but I did and I'd lost 5 kgs. The shin splints had become so bad though, that every step was painful.

When the 2 weeks were up though, I felt as good as new. I had also found that after about 10 minutes on the treadmill my feet would go numb, so I decided to buy a new pair of sneakers and I made sure I bought ones designed for walking. This made a big difference as well.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    2 whole months? How will you ever possibly get back to that point?

Go to a doctor, and do different cardio until it's fixed.

ETA: Or you could make sure you strike with the middle of your foot and not your heel or toes.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it isn't compartment syndrome?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    A great thread
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/322021/help-with-your-shin-splints/p1

My additional advice would be if you do go to a doctor, go to one with a background in sports/running. My GP advised me to stop running and rest. I got nowhere. I'd rest, feel better, run, get shin splints, repeat.

Try ibuprofen for the pain. Do not take before running, it is too hard on your stomach. Ice.

When the pain isn't so acute, try running but cut back. Shin splints are often caused by too much too soon. Try running on softer surface for awhile.

You can try orthotics if you want, they were not good for me. You could also try new running shoes, preferably being fitted at a running store
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Wait, were you not recommending people change their gait when running?
    This is what happens when you improperly change gait.

Take the time to recover - don't focus too much energy on modifying your gait too quickly.
    Good luck.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Hello I wanted to ask you guys for your input. I have been having shin splints really bad, I decided to stop running and follow the R.I.C.E protocol. It has been working and my shins are feeling better but they are still tender to touch or if I jump I get pain.
    it has been a week since I last ran, I really feel guilty as it took me 2 months to get to this stage, I do not want it to be wasted. I was thinking of buying orthodontics insoles I believe its my running form that caused this to happen I think my feet goes inwards if that makes sense which causes the pain. what should I do just rest and stretch

Maybe go back to your natural gait. See if that makes it better.