To gym or not to gym

Options
I'm a big girl at the moment and have been walking consistently for a year, sprinkling in a jog or two, wit a little hiking. Spring & Summer are coming and I hate the heat, like a lot. I live in CA where the summers are extra hot. I am trying to weigh the benefits of a gym membership. The gym I am looking at is 24 hours, 1.12 miles from my home, and doesn't look crazy busy all the time. Benefits are: It is 24 hours. I have a new job where evenimgs and nights are gonna be my thing, this could be a bonus after work workout plan. Its so close I could warmup walking there if I wanted. It's no contract and I can pay 300 for a year in advance. It has air conditioning! Also my new job has more downtime, this gives me a place to go, and hobby away from home/work/kids. The downside is I am big. I don't want to hurt myself on equipment my body isn't ready for. I don't want to pay 300 bucks then be too embarassed to go. Worse yet I can walk anywhere, so I would haaaave to find something that makes the gym worthwhile besides a treadmill . What are some pros and cons? Thoughts? Thanks!

Replies

• GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't feel uncomfortable going to the gym, it's great that you want to workout and you're trying to find a plan that works for you! Nothing embarassing about it ;)

If you know the gym is not that crowded it could be great during summer, because of the AC. From personal experience, if you want to exercise during summer outside it has to be right after sunrise, otherwise it's simply too hot for me. Gym with ac makes it a bit more flexible.

I'd say if you like the gym, and don't like the heat, go for it!
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Welcome to MFP.
    Congratulations for your determination to have more activity.
    If you are looking for an alternative to outdoor activity during warmer weather. Gym is a good option.
    My experience is that people are very focused on their own workout at the gym. You can try to join a class session. New gym joiners are usually given a "free" training session. You may try them.
    If you still feel uncomfortable with the gym, you might try another indoor activity for warmer weather ( swimming, zumba, yoga, etc)
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    If you are able to jog I have to believe you aren't going to have many limitations as far as gym machines you can't use.
    Ask for a tour of the gym before making any decision.
    Go to the gym and don't worry about what anyone else thinks, I go to the gym and honestly don't care what the opinions of others are. Don't let what others say stop you from your goal.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Can you get a trial membership so you can see if this gym works for you? Stop by and speak with the management there - then you can really get a feel for the gym and see if it's something you can commit to.
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a plan, but I wouldn't pay the $300 up front because you may decide you don't like it and a lot of gyms have weird rules about cancellation and refunds (i.e. you may not get one). But yeah, go in, have a tour, start off slow - there's something for everyone.
  • runsonrabbitfood
    runsonrabbitfood Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day, I'd just ask if you'd use it regularly. If so, then the price is probably worth it. The other things you listed shouldn't make/break the deal. Yeah, you could do outdoor activity for $300 less, but if you prefer air conditioning and the setting of the gym then you'll be more likely to do it regularly. Find what setting will be most enjoyable for you.

A gym comes with resources, so if you're unsure about how to use any of the equipment - just ask. People are usually friendly and more than willing to help.
    Please don't let embarrassment stop you from going to the gym. It's supposed to be a place where people pursue the best version of themselves - regardless of where you are. And like @socioseguro said, most people are just focused on doing their own thing anyways. Be proud of what you're doing.
  • eatingfatbeingfat
    eatingfatbeingfat Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    The only thing that ever made gym membership worth it to me were the classes. I loved body pump. You can walk like you would on the treadmill for free. Heck, you could walk to the gym from your home and back and get a good workout. A lot of gyms will let you try for a couple days before you join. Some gyms can be shifty with $$, so be careful.

I was a big girl and I know how awkward the gym can feel. I would test the water and see how you are treated. If they are respectful and helpful, that is a good spot. Also, when I was bigger I loved swimming, it is a great physical exercise and easy on the joints. People (regardless of weight) injure themselves every day at the gym, so make sure the trainer is willing to walk you through proper ergonomics.
  • FitHairStylist81
    Options
    I am a huge fan of Planet Fitness! So cheap, always clean, so many locations (with Black Card membership) to chose from, massage chair, massage bed, tanning and free WiFi! Find a cardio/dance Pandora station, crank it up and ignore everyone else!!!
  • toughmudderMN
    toughmudderMN Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your goals and happiness. It has been my experience that most gym goers are friendly to all types. It might feel like you are an outsider, but you share the same goal as everyone there; improving your health. If the membership is no contract you should try it out.
  • DianaDrobnica
    DianaDrobnica Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would stop in and visit around the time you expect you would normally go. Most gyms will let you pay by the month. If you are comfortable there, sign up for the month. You can always change that to the year membership. You might even consider an appointment with a personal trainer just to get you started.
  • lm2011grad
    lm2011grad Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    The gym I am looking at had a free 8 day trial, no contract, and a month by month option. I will 100% try it first! Thanks.
  • lm2011grad
    lm2011grad Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I would stop in and visit around the time you expect you would normally go. Most gyms will let you pay by the month. If you are comfortable there, sign up for the month. You can always change that to the year membership. You might even consider an appointment with a personal trainer just to get you started.

I joined a gym maaaaaany years ago when my 13 year old was about 6 months old. It came with free sessions with a personal trainer. Boy howdy was it traumatic! I was a working single mom at the time and my first 2 sessions he wroked me a) to the point of crying in the gym, and I don't cry easy and b) I was so sore for a week that I could hardly take care of my baby. I was too embarassed to go back! I am now affraid of personal trainers. About 7 years ago I had a membership to a really great gym, but kinda stuck to the elyptical and the treadmill. I think I am going to do the free trial, then maybe a month and see if I can be brave enough to move beyond the really easy stuff!
  • chiptease
    chiptease Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I've lost 30lbs without using a gym. I refer to Youtube for home exercises and utilize weight-free exercises for toning. I also invested about $100 into weights for my home. Ultimately, there are certain equipment at the gym that I simply can't replicate at home/through videos. I think it's a great idea to do a trial membership. But remember - you don't need a gym to lose weight! Find what works for you.
  • ilovelucy1930
    ilovelucy1930 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    This sounds like an awesome gym!!!

Take baby steps and you are golden!
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    lm2011grad wrote: »
    I'm a big girl at the moment and have been walking consistently for a year, sprinkling in a jog or two, wit a little hiking. Spring & Summer are coming and I hate the heat, like a lot. I live in CA where the summers are extra hot. I am trying to weigh the benefits of a gym membership. The gym I am looking at is 24 hours, 1.12 miles from my home, and doesn't look crazy busy all the time. Benefits are: It is 24 hours. I have a new job where evenimgs and nights are gonna be my thing, this could be a bonus after work workout plan. Its so close I could warmup walking there if I wanted. It's no contract and I can pay 300 for a year in advance. It has air conditioning! Also my new job has more downtime, this gives me a place to go, and hobby away from home/work/kids. The downside is I am big. I don't want to hurt myself on equipment my body isn't ready for. I don't want to pay 300 bucks then be too embarassed to go. Worse yet I can walk anywhere, so I would haaaave to find something that makes the gym worthwhile besides a treadmill . What are some pros and cons? Thoughts? Thanks!

Don't feel uncomfortable. Everyone has to start somewhere. Even the heaviest of lifters and most jacked fitness enthusiasts didn't know exactly what they were doing when they started.
  • Veryana
    Veryana Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    You could ask someone from staff or personal trainer to just show you how to use the machines or do exercises. That way they don't usually tell you to do something specific/give an exercise program and you learn a safe way to use them and get corrected instantly for wrong kind of move. I had my first PT meeting like that, I just told what I wanted to gain with exercising and asked what kind of exercises I need to do for it and can she show me how to do them so I won't break myself.
  • stephiejean37
    stephiejean37 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I would suggest going to visit the gym and have someone show you around before you commit. I would say go for it though, you should never be embarrassed to better yourself. As long as you start out slow you shouldnt hurt yourself.