New to running. Feet hurt.

Options
I recently statered running for the first time in years. I've started by using the C25k app. It's very helpful. I bought some reebok ziglite shoes a while back and just now breaking them in. My feet start to hurt, almost like a cramp tight soreness, once I'm about a quarter way through the run. I'm sure this is common but what causes this and how can I prevent it. Thanks.

Replies

• ise311
    ise311 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    1. Get a shoe with padded sole stuff (the proper word escapes my brain at this moment lol).

2. Google Midfoot strike. It works for me. It doesn't much pressure to your leg when running.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you need different shoes and some soreness is to be expected.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Asics are great for running. Sounds like you need to invest in a good running shoe
  • YeaYeaPueblo
    YeaYeaPueblo Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I had some sauconys that had too much flex in them that caused considerable foot pain. I switched to Nike Pegasus and haven't had an issue since. Go to a running store and have yourself fitted properly, they'll be able to diagnose if your shoes are the problem.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Ignore any brand recommendations. What works for me will be different that what works for you.

The best thing to do is find a local running store (one the specializes in running - not a big box store). Have them analyze your stride and recommend shoes that are right for you. You will get many brands to chose from, but all will have certain characteristics that make them right for you.

Also, I'm not a huge fan of changing how you run. If you already land on your forefoot, great, If not, it is not that big of a deal. Many runners land differently and have no issues.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Perhaps you need different shoes and some soreness is to be expected.

+1
  • KVS1985
    KVS1985 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    sanfromny wrote: »
    Asics are great for running. Sounds like you need to invest in a good running shoe

I have an older pair of Asics. Are they all intended for running?
  • KVS1985
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Ignore any brand recommendations. What works for me will be different that what works for you.

The best thing to do is find a local running store (one the specializes in running - not a big box store). Have them analyze your stride and recommend shoes that are right for you. You will get many brands to chose from, but all will have certain characteristics that make them right for you.

Also, I'm not a huge fan of changing how you run. If you already land on your forefoot, great, If not, it is not that big of a deal. Many runners land differently and have no issues.

So it has nothing to do the fact that I'm new to running? I honestly thought it was just my feet were week or something.
  • mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    KVS1985 wrote: »
    I recently statered running for the first time in years. I've started by using the C25k app. It's very helpful. I bought some reebok ziglite shoes a while back and just now breaking them in. My feet start to hurt, almost like a cramp tight soreness, once I'm about a quarter way through the run. I'm sure this is common but what causes this and how can I prevent it. Thanks.

I second the "ignore what brand to get" posts as well as not changing the way you run. I'm a mid-foot/toe striker. It's just the way I run and there's no reason why I should change it.

You shouldn't have to "break in" running shoes. Honestly the best advice anyone has ever given me is to get a gait analysis done and get shoes that fit the way you run. I had foot issues for the longest time in the shoes I was running in because I was in the wrong shoe. After getting my gait analyzed and the correct shoe not only do I not have issues (aside from an injury I got from doing Insanity but that's a whole other ball of wax) but I have never had to break them in.

Also, do NOT use older running shoes, especially if they've been pretty used in the past. My husband did this once when we were training for a half marathon and ended up with plantar fasciitis which took over a year to heal.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

I agree with all of this. If you are new to running, a little soreness is to be expected. If you experience actual pain, that's when it might be time to stop and get things checked out. There are a few things you can do to help minimize the soreness in the meantime.

1. As mentioned before, the right shoes make all of the difference. Getting fitted by a professional is ideal. But if you can't, there are some online shoe finder tools that can help you determine the right shoes for you. The shoes you get for running should be made specifically for running and you should use them ONLY for running.

2. Rest days are important when you are starting out. You should be running every other day at most. You can build up to 4-5 days a week slowly.

3. Stretching and strengthening and flexibility exercises will help a lot. Work on strengthening your core. you will be surprised how much pressure this takes off your feet. I highly recommend regular yoga and pilates for anyone that is running.
  • KVS1985
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »

I agree with all of this. If you are new to running, a little soreness is to be expected. If you experience actual pain, that's when it might be time to stop and get things checked out. There are a few things you can do to help minimize the soreness in the meantime.

1. As mentioned before, the right shoes make all of the difference. Getting fitted by a professional is ideal. But if you can't, there are some online shoe finder tools that can help you determine the right shoes for you. The shoes you get for running should be made specifically for running and you should use them ONLY for running.

2. Rest days are important when you are starting out. You should be running every other day at most. You can build up to 4-5 days a week slowly.

3. Stretching and strengthening and flexibility exercises will help a lot. Work on strengthening your core. you will be surprised how much pressure this takes off your feet. I highly recommend regular yoga and pilates for anyone that is running.

Good tips. Thank you.
  • Aed0416
    Aed0416 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I think your shoes are wrong for you and what you are trying to do. But you can also experiment with lacing techniques and how tight and loose your laces are.
  • sanfromny
    Options
    I tossed out Asics as a suggestion not the bible guys...Shhhheesshh.........
    I used to work in a sneaker store and they were a very popular running brand. There are many different types. Just gotta get to a sneaker store and get fitted....
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    I used to work in a sneaker store and they were a very popular running brand. There are many different types. Just gotta get to a sneaker store and get fitted....

There's nothing wrong with Asics. Its just that buying the correct type of running shoe is more important than the brand. I have Nike, Brooks, and Saucony. All work well for me.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    So it has nothing to do the fact that I'm new to running? I honestly thought it was just my feet were week or something.

I agree. Youtube "plantar fascia stretch" and do it hourly (set a timer). Post an update in 2 days. :+1:
  • mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    Options

You mean a RUNNING store like FleetFeet or something similar, right?
  • sanfromny
    Options
    Not sure why I am answering you but yes, a specialty store where we underwent periodic training with reps from different sneaker companies...
  • KVS1985
    Options

There's nothing wrong with Asics. Its just that buying the correct type of running shoe is more important than the brand. I have Nike, Brooks, and Saucony. All work well for me.

I put my old Asics on and didn't have the issue. Boo for the Reeboks.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

It can be. It can also be that the shoe is not shaped well for your foot, or that it is too small for you.

I never had soreness from being new to running. I did get sore when I wore stability shoes - the support was always too much or never in the right place.

More recently, I bought some shoes that were just a hair too small. They felt fine until I ran far enough for my feet to swell some (4-5 miles). Then my feet started aching a bit and eventually cramping. Finally, they went numb - I was far from home so had no choice but to keep going. Loosening the laces helped a little bit but not enough.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options

I put my old Asics on and didn't have the issue. Boo for the Reeboks.

Three cheers! The pain you described is not normal, and I'm glad you paid attention. Different feet, different shoes. Those Reeboks might work for another runner. When you do get around to buying a new pair, take the shoes for a run around the block before you buy them. A good running store should let you do that. These are your feet, after all!

A running shoe should be good for 300-500 miles; then replace. If your feet or shins start aching during a run, it might be time to do a tire rotation.

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-shoes/running-shoe-questions