Hello-please read my blog, I am doing a fitness experiment!

Options
Hello everyone,

I've had great success using the myfitnesspal app-
I am now doing a personal fitness experiment to see if I can go from casual runner-to a half marathon in around two months. Please read my first blog entry and show your support!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/callum88/view/front-door-to-finish-line-training-for-a-half-marathon-in-two-months-805932

Thank you!
-Cal

Replies

• CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I read your blog and I salute your for your enthusiasm but I also feel somewhat cautious for you. I can't work out of you're a regular runner or not. It says you did a Half in 2011 in a decent time but I can't work out what you've done since then, and it sounds as if you're trying to train for a Half on the basis of an intense 8-week plan despite having to strap up your right knee due to cartilage issues? I wonder what the rush is? Why do you have to pile on the training load in two months rather than a more gradual and sensible return to running? Cardiovascular fitness comes back deceivingly quickly, but muscular-skeletal strength not so much, and it seems (judging by your knee issue) that mechanics need to be thought of here? I sincerely hope you've at least had a recent gait analysis done before you're starting on this 'experiment'?
  • callum88
    callum88 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply CollieFit-
    I am a regular runner, my usual weekday plan is running 3.5 miles a night for 5 nights a week right now. This is mainly a plan to see if I can do it, really (sounds strange-I know-but I am gearing up to try and be running a marathon by the end of the year). I talked this through with a medical professional (several), they discussed the use of insoles to alleviate the damage caused by impact when running, and suggested just a compression sleeve for my knee as well as daily supplements for cartilage. I talked with a trainer and one of my friends who works at a running/fitness supply store-so gave me an examination of my running style-he agreed that the impact from running was the only thing I had to worry about as I don't have flat-feet or any turning when I land. My intention is to push myself (within reason) certainly the moment I feel like somethings wrong, or hurting too much-I would stop. I agree with you about the muscular-skeletal strength-I've been working on trying to develop muscle growth in my legs to try and compensate for the diminished capability in my knee.
    Please keep following the blog and let me know your thoughts-if I mess up please kindly inform me "I told you so" haha I will gladly eat my words!
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I'd never say "I told you so", but more like "been there done that!". I'm no stranger to overuse injuries. ;)
    I do wish you the best of luck with this and hope it all goes well. What are you taking for your knees? I've had really good experience with Glucosamine & Chondroitin.
  • callum88
    callum88 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Haha well I appreciate the concern and good vibes! I'm trying Cartilage + 180c by Davinci Labs-Have no idea if it will do any good but so far it seems to have fought off anything too bad! I think its basically the same thing as it has the Chondroitin in it!