Any personal trainers or avid exercisers need help wit realistic goals

Options
Ok. So long story shot I'm fat, out of shape and working toward being fit and in shape. 40 pounds down so far and recently kicked up intensity and frequency of workouts. Is the tough mudder a realistic goal for someone who just started running last week? I'm also working on strength training. Both have a lot of progress and work needed but I really would like to do it! Can someone give me a workable time line to follow and and estimated amount of time it could take to get there?

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    When is the event? And how long? Some are 10k, some 10 miles.

How far can you run at the moment?
  • Hotshot_Barretta
    Hotshot_Barretta Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I don't k ow when it is I would like to do one next year. Giving myself a year to get in sape. And right now I can only run about 10 minutes not even sure the distance I am goin but I am slow lom
  • Hotshot_Barretta
    Options
    I believe it is 10 miles from the info I read online
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    4-6 months is a realistic time for a beginner to get into training/racing.
  • Hotshot_Barretta
    Options
    Thanks, so a year should be enough time to work on running and strength then? I have about 60 pounds to lose as well
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Then if I were you I'd set yourself smaller goals first. The couch 2 5k is a great 9 week running programme that is free. Enter a few 5k local free park runs after that then re-evaluate based on how you feel then.
  • Hotshot_Barretta
    Options
    Great idea!!! Ty
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Go check out thinner, leaner, stronger by Mike Matthews.. It's a great program and will take you all the way through what to do. Common sense, backed up by science (not broscience), not fad diets..
  • Hotshot_Barretta
    Options
    Awesome, I will check it out today. Ty!!
  • tarabole
    tarabole Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    There are a variety of mud runs and some are more difficult than others so you may want to do a bit of research before setting a goal. There are also some websites that tell you how to train for a mud run so that might be helpful (I think breaking muscle has one).
    The previous post suggesting a couch to 5k is a great suggestion! Once you running is on point a mud run or obstacle race would be a great next challenge! You might also like to sign of for a 5k! There are a some fun ones like the colour runs or dance runs (like electro dash) that food be a great first goal. I think setting incremental goals can be super motivating! Good luck :)