140lbs Lost! Just got Skin Removal Surgery (M/21)

Options

Replies

• MudstainSally
    MudstainSally Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Dude that's awesome! Can't wait to see your post recovery pics. It's a chunk of money, but probably so worth it in the long run. Make yourself happy.
  • admirza
    admirza Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    great job! congratulations!! So what are you planning to do next after the rest period?
  • TyFi_10
    TyFi_10 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    admirza wrote: »
    great job! congratulations!! So what are you planning to do next after the rest period?

Can't wait to get back in the gym and build more muscle!

And thanks Sally!
  • escotech2883
    escotech2883 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    May i ask you how you did it ? And about how many cals did you eat ?
    I am 310 currently and looking to get to around the same *kitten* you
  • escotech2883
    Options
    Same as you i meant to say lol
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    You look incredibly awesome and congrats on the loss. I hope your recovery goes well and look forward to seeing the update.
  • PlantBasedRnr
    PlantBasedRnr Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    That is truly amazing and inspiring to so many - good for you man, congratulations!
  • TyFi_10
    Options
    May i ask you how you did it ? And about how many cals did you eat ?
    I am 310 currently and looking to get to around the same *kitten* you

Hi!

I started out at 308.4 so it looks like we're in similar conditions. I ate a vast different amount of calories over the course of time, but here's what I can say. In the beginning, because I had such a high maintenance number, I set my activity level on MFP to sedentary and then aimed for 2lbs (-1000 calories) per week. In the beginning I ate around 2200 calories a day and was still able to lose more than 1 pound a week.

At a certain point, it became too difficult to sustain 2lbs lost per week, so I gradually shifted it down, usually eating anywhere from 1800-2000 calories per day depending on how aggressive I wanted to be at the time. Exercise certainly helped in expediting the process, especially as I got into the lower 200s where I couldn't lose multiple pounds per week without drastically reducing my caloric intake.

Overall, I'd say that:

310-280lbs: 2200 calories a day
    280-220lbs: 1900-2000 calories a day
    220-170lbs: 1700-1800 calories a day

Please ask any other questions you may have. My first advice is to stay committed and disciplined to counting your calories even if you have a bad day. Don't let an awful day make you fall of logging. Make small changes. If you eat burgers and fries and also chips and also drink 6 cans of Pepsi, maybe start of by still eating burgers and fries but cut out the chips and Pepsi. Small steps at a time are better than no steps at a time.

My other advice is that the beginning is the hardest part. I'm not sure where you are on your journey, but there are points early on where it feels like it is taking forever. With that being said, time does eventually start speeding up and you'll look back and realize 6 months (and 40lbs!) are gone.

Please please please add me and message me any questions you have. I want you to do this man!
  • escotech2883
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the kind words and for the advice man. I just got your request and accepted. I have started this week and hopefully this will work !
  • wateryphoenix
    wateryphoenix Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing! :) Looking forward to any other input you have. =D
  • cmr3399
    cmr3399 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Wow thats Amazing...Do you happen to know how many pounds of excess skin they removed?
  • TyFi_10
    Options
    cmr3399 wrote: »
    Wow thats Amazing...Do you happen to know how many pounds of excess skin they removed?

Not sure yet, I actually haven't weighed myself yet because my scale is back at university. The way they explained it to me they not only remove the skin but "gunk" that's built up down there, so Im sure the procedure would cause 2-5 lbs of excess lost.

• farmerpam1
    farmerpam1 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    You're rockin it, thanks for sharing! I have to ask, was it very painful, the recovery, that is? I'm saving my pennies for the future.
  • TyFi_10
    Options
    farmerpam1 wrote: »
    You're rockin it, thanks for sharing! I have to ask, was it very painful, the recovery, that is? I'm saving my pennies for the future.

It's been a week since the surgery, so it's probably an OK time to give an update:

Day of Surgery
    - Post surgery "pain" is not that high, certainly not the worst pain I've had or anything (keep in mind I was on anaesthetic)
    - Drain placed on my right upper side (tube coming out of me with body secretions)
    - Discomfort is quite high
    - Little food (ate two jello cups and one pudding cup the entire day)
    - Operations was 2hrs long
    - Drugged up pretty hard, was sleeping all day from the medications and essentially bed-ridden.
    - Important to walk around after surgery to prevent clotting, walked around the kitchen 4 or 5 times, and the A
    - Need to wear compression socks for minimum one week, as high as three weeks
    - Need to wear abdominal "binder" for at least three weeks, potentially four

Day + 1 and +2
    - Pain/discomfort is a 4 on a scale of 1-10
    - Move around a bit more frequently and with less ease
    - Bed ridden most of the day
    - Lots of drugs, lots of sleep

Day +3 + 4 + 5
    - Moving around a lot more
    - Pain/discomfort is a 2 on a scale of 1-10
    - Standing up for extended periods, left the house for the first time on Surgery Day + 4

Day 6
    - Drain is removed (discomfort goes down)
    - First check up appointment
    - First shower!!!!

Overall, the pain was/is quite low but at the same time the doctor did tell me that I've had less pain than most people generally report. Still, I don't think the operation is agonizing, but you would definitely need at minimum one week off working, etc.

• Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    That's amazing! And you (and your awesome mom) made a good decision with the surgery. My loose skin was considered minimal, too, but the mental difference it made when it was gone was significant. You look healthy and should be crazy proud of yourself!

What gets me, though, is that your stats say you grew two inches...my 12 year old son is already three inches taller than me and I was hoping he would stop after he turned 18 or so! Oh well...lol
  • leeshults
    leeshults Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    well done young man!!
  • TyFi_10
    Options
    That's amazing! And you (and your awesome mom) made a good decision with the surgery. My loose skin was considered minimal, too, but the mental difference it made when it was gone was significant. You look healthy and should be crazy proud of yourself!

What gets me, though, is that your stats say you grew two inches...my 12 year old son is already three inches taller than me and I was hoping he would stop after he turned 18 or so! Oh well...lol

Haha, I was so surprised when the doctor told me I was 5'11", I didn't really feel taller!

How long ago did you have the surgery?
  • TyFi_10
    Options
    Update:

My belly button is definitely higher lol. This photo was taken 9 days after the surgery

gko6e8i8a0fe.jpeg
  • amarie210
    amarie210 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Wow! You look awesome! Way to go! My partner is having a hard time finding motivation to start and stick to a plan. He says having so much to lose (100+ pounds) is disheartening. I will be showing him your pictures in the morning as inspiration!
  • TyFi_10
    Options
    amarie210 wrote: »
    Wow! You look awesome! Way to go! My partner is having a hard time finding motivation to start and stick to a plan. He says having so much to lose (100+ pounds) is disheartening. I will be showing him your pictures in the morning as inspiration!

Tell him that the hardest part is the start and once you get on a roll, it gets easier !!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!