Needing extra calories during That time of the month?

Options
i feel like I've been doing pretty great with my calories even though I've been doing this a short time....but I've come to that time I dread...and even though I've been very successful at not binging on chocolates or ordering a pizza...I have found that I am more hungry during this time where I am requiring up to 200 extra calories to not feel like I'm starving and a grumpy mess....any other ladies dealing with this? Any suggestions?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I don't think we *need* extra calories at certain times of the month, but some of us certainly do feel like we want them. And that's okay. Some people just eat the calories to maintain during these days. Or they, like you do, just eat a bit extra.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    There are probably a dozen threads a week on this topic. Some people feel hungrier. Some don't. Some up their calories. Some don't. Do what works for you. Two or three days of eating at maintenance isn't going to hurt you in the long term. Here is an article you might find interesting:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/impact-of-the-menstrual-cycle-on-determinants-of-energy-intake-reseach-review.html/
  • _EPIC_
    _EPIC_ Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I always want extra calories, any time of the month.
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I usually have a couple of days when I definitely feel hungrier than normal, or crave sweets. I might eat at maintenance for those days and allow myself to have an extra treat. As I see it, as long as I'm not eating enough to gain, I'm still doing well.
  • omima07
    omima07 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    There are probably a dozen threads a week on this topic. Some people feel hungrier. Some don't. Some up their calories. Some don't. Do what works for you. Two or three days of eating at maintenance isn't going to hurt you in the long term. Here is an article you might find interesting:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/impact-of-the-menstrual-cycle-on-determinants-of-energy-intake-reseach-review.html/

Ok...yeah I don't typically spend alot of time browsing the forums so if there was something I didn't see it. Thanks for the article.
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I don't think we *need* extra calories at certain times of the month, but some of us certainly do feel like we want them. And that's okay. Some people just eat the calories to maintain during these days. Or they, like you do, just eat a bit extra.

To be more precise: you don't "need" them, sure...you won't die. But our bodies to tend to burn more calories in that week-ish before your period comes, between 100-350 more calories per day. Our BMRs actually go up doing all that work and cramping!
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/295115-calories-burned-while-on-your-period/

OP - do what works for you!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    yep, I eat it all, but I do work it off
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming your deficit is more than 200 calories/day, yeah? Then eat the 200 calories. You'll still be in a deficit, but your mood will be way better. This is about learning how to do this for the long haul so beating yourself up because you're hungrier during your TOM is really counterproductive. Just be mindful of it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I usually have a couple of days when I definitely feel hungrier than normal, or crave sweets. I might eat at maintenance for those days and allow myself to have an extra treat. As I see it, as long as I'm not eating enough to gain, I'm still doing well.

Ya, since my appetite spikes up, I honor that, and eat at maintenance for a few days.
  • NatashaLP2014
    NatashaLP2014 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I let myself eat up to maintenance calories if I'm feeling super hungry the few days leading up to my period starting. Normally I don't eat all of it but I definitely feel better and my workouts are better if I give myself more wiggle room.
  • cwolfgram
    cwolfgram Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I always increase my iron and protein during it. It's not uncommon to be anemic or borderline anemic during your TOM. If you are hungry, it could be because of lower iron.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options

To be more precise: you don't "need" them, sure...you won't die. But our bodies to tend to burn more calories in that week-ish before your period comes, between 100-350 more calories per day. Our BMRs actually go up doing all that work and cramping!
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/295115-calories-burned-while-on-your-period/

OP - do what works for you!

This actually explains a few things for me. Thank you!
  • NekoneMeowMixx
    NekoneMeowMixx Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    _EPIC_ wrote: »
    I always want extra calories, any time of the month.

This.

I'm currently bulking, and am eating anywhere between a 500 and 1,000 surplus, depending on my TDEE for the day. But there are days (especially during the first few of TOTM) where I am just ravenous. I allow myself the extra calories, but try to make sure they're coming from smart places. A bagel is going to keep me full a lot longer than a candy bar is, for example...

Don't beat yourself up if you eat at/above maintenance. Your weight will fluctuate regardless. I've been eating in this surplus for 10 weeks now and have only gained 10 pounds. And I'm TRYING to put on weight. Trust me-- just treat yourself (wisely). You'll be fine...
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Personally... No. I'm a raging B*#@%, but I'm not any hungrier. Lol.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call it a need but I get hungrier maybe one or two days a month during my period. An extra couple of hundred calories is fine on those days. Have a maintenance calorie day.
  • LushFix
    LushFix Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Personally... No. I'm a raging B*#@%, but I'm not any hungrier. Lol.

This. I have horrible pain that leads to nausea and I'm usually not super interested in food. I'm on continuous birth control now so it's fairly rare I have a period at all.