HELP: the freshman 15 got the best of me

Options
Hey everyone, I have struggled with my weight my entire life, but finally lost and became very happy/confident about a year ago. I noticed today my face looks different. My clothes fit funny. I have red lines from where my clothes fit uncomfortably. I want to cry.

I worked so hard and fell off the bandwagon. I want to be that skinny again, I need to lose this weight.

How do I get back on track while being on a meal plan? I just started a half marathon program as I love to run, so that will be my exercise program for now. Please help.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Most universities these days offer a lot of choices when it comes to food. You should be able to find the right things to fit your calorie budget. If you are uncomfortable taking a scale to the cafeteria (can't say I'd be big on that myself), google "serving size chart" and look at the image results so you can study up on how to estimate serving sizes. Then log your food carefully (use USDA entries in the MFP database when possible or if you have a food package in hand use its nutrition info) and eat within your calorie goal. My guess is that you haven't gained too terribly much weight and could aim to lose .5-1 pound per week and do that fairly easily.
  • kettiecat
    kettiecat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Did you eat your calories or drink them?
  • t4nn1e
    t4nn1e Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I had that realisation also today and have decided to start my healthier self again x
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    How about if you choose more healthier foods in the cafeteria each day such as salads with light oil and vinegar dressing or light dressing, as many veggies as possible, protein such as meat or eggs etc then finish with fruit ora light dessert- do NOT try diet products - ,any did not help me- such as diet soda or just make reasonable choices and give yourself one small treat a day- You CAN do this!
  • lauradelight
    lauradelight Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    kettiecat wrote: »

I think both, my patterns of drinking and eating changed both
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    kettiecat wrote: »

I think both, my patterns of drinking and eating changed both

One thing to help start off is cutting out calories from liquids. This is not necessary and you can just try to fit them into your calorie goal, but for many it helps. You'd be surprised how many calories people can go over just on drinks alone.

• BoogeyBrat
    BoogeyBrat Posts: 212 Member
    Options

One thing to help start off is cutting out calories from liquids. This is not necessary and you can just try to fit them into your calorie goal, but for many it helps. You'd be surprised how many calories people can go over just on drinks alone.

This is stellar advice. It's so easy to drink calories, and in the case of sodas and sweet tea they are empty calories that do nothing for you other than make it easier to run over your daily allotment. Just cutting out sugary drinks in favor of water will do wonders.

• cbeau1991
    cbeau1991 Posts: 19 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    BoogeyBrat wrote: »

This is stellar advice. It's so easy to drink calories, and in the case of sodas and sweet tea they are empty calories that do nothing for you other than make it easier to run over your daily allotment. Just cutting out sugary drinks in favor of water will do wonders.

Not to stereotype the OP, but beer also has the potential to increase weight by quite a bit. I gained 15 pounds in a really alarmingly short amount of time after I started drinking more.
  • BoogeyBrat
    BoogeyBrat Posts: 212 Member
    Options

Not to stereotype the OP, but beer also has the potential to increase weight by quite a bit. I gained 15 pounds in a really alarmingly short amount of time after I started drinking more.

Very true. Alcohol packs a double punch. Sneaky calorie bombs and to add insult to injury they'll make you retain water weight. I can't even look at a beer without gaining two pounds on the spot.