What is your average miles/kms walking speed per hour

Options
I was curious to hear what your average speed per hour is when walking for exercise. I just downloaded MapMyRun and have only used it once. I'm not going to post the numbers just yet in case it is terribly slow!
Just wanted a comparison with other walkers.

Thank you :flowerforyou:

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    When I am walking with my husband outside or when I am on the indoor track at the gym, I average 3.7-4.0 mph. At home on the treadmill, I go slower because I read while doing it. Generally I am in the 3.2-3.5 range but sometimes I feel like strolling so I'll move it down to 3.0 (usually if I'm walking for a few minutes after lifting.)
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Like everyday walking? Maybe 3mph. TM: 4-4.5mph
    I'm 6'0 BTW. Running paces can go from 6 on a rest day to 12mph on intervals.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I was curious to hear what your average speed per hour is when walking for exercise. I just downloaded MapMyRun and have only used it once. I'm not going to post the numbers just yet in case it is terribly slow!

Hm, interesting question! Mine is probably around 4.0 or 4.5. My work out speed is 7 mph.
  • Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    3.8, or so says Tracks. I shall miss it when it goes down in April.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Your height will be a factor too.

I'm 5'5" I worked up to 4.2 MPH on a treadmill (not reading...no way). Outdoors with uneven terrain, I'm slower like 3.6 - 3.8 range.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    3.5 - 4.5 mph. Depending if I'm holding my toddler or not.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I'm on the short side, and walk around 3.5mph if I'm not trying to walk fast, and up to about 4mph if I'm really booking it or on the treadmill. Anything past that and I'd probably have to break into a jog (my usual running pace is from 6.3 - 7.0 mph, if that helps either.)
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    About 3.6-3.7 or so on average over a couple of miles, but I vary my speed during a walk between really hustling (since I can't really jog/run - bad knees, even walking is almost too much impact for me) and easing off a bit.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    It's kind of difficult to compare yourself to others with decent accuracy in this department. Well, at least it is for me. I'm only 5'4 and have a very narrow gait, so I feel like I almost have to run at 3.5 mph. It'd be tough for me to find a running buddy unless they were significantly short than I am.

My boyfriend is 6'0 and every time he walks somewhere with an intent to hurry a little bit, I literally have to run to keep up with him. On the plus side, that's extra calories for me, on the negative side, he seems to always do this when I'm wearing heals.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I usually walk with the dog and go about 3-3.2 mph. I am slowly trying to increase the speed. I used to walk at lunch with a couple ladies at 4.0 mph.
  • blancoms
    blancoms Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm on the short side, so 3.8 is about as fast as I can walk (flat) before going into the awkward almost jogging state. 5% incline, 3.0 is all I can maintain for now.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    About 3.5 if I'm strolling along (i.e. cooling down after a run). More like 4-4.5 walking normally. I'm in the habit of walking like I'm on a time-critical mission.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Holy crap you guys are fast! How accurate is MapMyRun?? I've used it twice this morning, the last one said 1.22km (0.6miles)-Duration 24:25 which I think works out to 1.86m per hour or 3kms per hour. That is truly pathetic :(

BTW I'm 5"8 and always thought I was a fast walker haha Literally any faster and I'd be jogging. I'm hoping my numbers are off somewhere...
  • Karmc2k
    Karmc2k Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Christine72, thanks for the question, I had been wondering that too. I only do about a 3.2 mph pace on the treadmill, alternated with slow running (@ 4.3). I'm working on getting more cardio fit but don't want to push myself where I won't want to even do it.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'11. 3-3.2 mph is a nice easy pace for me. 3.5-4 is faster on the treadmill.

Keep in mind that walking outside is very different. You probably slow down naturally at each incline, crossing the street, checking your app, etc. next time I suggest you monitor your speed over just a few minutes of concentrated effort to get a better gauge.
  • Xlemponiarhs27
    Xlemponiarhs27 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    6.7-6.9 km/h
    Just over 9mins per km. I can go all day at this speed. It doesnt kill me knees (I dont run, maybe once a month), i can breath very well , i recover in 3-4 hours after an hour at this speed etc etc
    Thats my main aerobic for staying at single digit of bodyfat( 80/10/10 plant based diet with IF )
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I do 1km in ten minutes (3.7 mi/hr), 9 on a good day. But I am walking at the very limit of my ability. I actually came up fast too, when I started it took twice that time and I was puffed after.
  • reefrashralph
    reefrashralph Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I cant believe how fast people walk I'm 5'6" and walk at 3mph on my GPS .Down hill a little over four and up hill 2.6 average.
  • forwardmoving
    forwardmoving Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    6 km /hour (3.72 miles/hr) outside even terrain. I'm 5'6"
  • forwardmoving
    forwardmoving Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Holy crap you guys are fast! How accurate is MapMyRun?? I've used it twice this morning, the last one said 1.22km (0.6miles)-Duration 24:25 which I think works out to 1.86m per hour or 3kms per hour. That is truly pathetic :(

BTW I'm 5"8 and always thought I was a fast walker haha Literally any faster and I'd be jogging. I'm hoping my numbers are off somewhere...

Don't you walk 10 km per day? At that pace it would take you 3 1/2 hours! My bet is the tracker is off.