Beginner in need of tips

Options
hello my name is Aleesha and I'm new to the eating "right" life style. My goal is to lose 110lbs to get down to 185! Any tips about food, workouts etc! Please feel free to share! I work the 2-10 shift at a nursing home, so some meals I can make at the beginning of the week. Thank you :)

Replies

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Focus on food for weight loss

Do exercise you enjoy not ones you hate

Be consistent, don't log for 3 days then 2 days of no logging etc you won't be able to see why you gained/lost what you did.

Take pictures now so you can compare them later to see how far you have come.

Lift weight to preserve muscle.

Prelog you food for the day, so you aren't caught out and make a bad choice.
  • hockeysniper8
    hockeysniper8 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Yes, start with meal prep before your work week. There's a Mfp recipe group as well. Set short term goals, Good luck!
  • dvis334
    dvis334 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Weight manipulation is all about calories in vs. Calories out so...
    1. Find maintenance calories.
    2. Decrease by 300-500
    3. Measure results on the scale and in the mirror
    4. If you see no results after a week of the initial deficit, repeat steps 2-3 until you do.

Meal prepping is a great way to save time. I prep tuna sandwiches, chicken breasts, and pastas on Sundays and portion them for daily meals throughout the week.

I would suggest strength training for anaerobic and high intensity interval training for cardio aerobic
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Keeping carbs below 100 grams/day will help keep your insulin down, and allow you to
    begin burning fat.
  • Aleeshawilliams22
    Aleeshawilliams22 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice you guys rock!! How do you guys feel about meal replacement shakes!?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice you guys rock!! How do you guys feel about meal replacement shakes!?

I have never found one that made me feel as full and satisfied as eating food does. Even when it's the same amount of calories/macros, there is something about chewing and swallowing whole food that just makes me feel more satisfied.
  • Aleeshawilliams22
    Options

I have never found one that made me feel as full and satisfied as eating food does. Even when it's the same amount of calories/macros, there is something about chewing and swallowing whole food that just makes me feel more satisfied.

That's the trouble I'm having! Hoping drinking it over 30 mins will help! It's the struggle
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

That's the trouble I'm having! Hoping drinking it over 30 mins will help! It's the struggle

It's also okay if you decide that meal replacements just aren't for you.
  • chimaerandi
    chimaerandi Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Use something like Libra/Trendweight/Happyscale to keep you from losing it over daily (normal!) fluctuation
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    kimyrachel wrote: »
    Personally, I believe the easiest to lose weight is to never starve yourself and eat the good right food into your body. Meat and dairy tend to be high in fat so consist most of your meal from low fat and enough carb to stay energized. Feel free to add me and hope this helped! good luck :)

Plenty of people lose weight eating higher fat. I find dietary fat to be satiating.

OP- eat foods you enjoy. Eating your "regular" foods (but measuring & logging portions) will give you the tools needed to keep the weight from creeping back up. Strive to meet protein goals everyday. Meal replacement shakes are okay here and there, but they don't really give you a real picture of what changes you will need for the future.
  • Aleeshawilliams22
    Options
    Use something like Libra/Trendweight/Happyscale to keep you from losing it over daily (normal!) fluctuation
    What are those?
  • Aleeshawilliams22
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Personally, I believe the easiest to lose weight is to never starve yourself and eat the good right food into your body. Meat and dairy tend to be high in fat so consist most of your meal from low fat and enough carb to stay energized. Feel free to add me and hope this helped! good luck :)

Plenty of people lose weight eating higher fat. I find dietary fat to be satiating.

OP- eat foods you enjoy. Eating your "regular" foods (but measuring & logging portions) will give you the tools needed to keep the weight from creeping back up. Strive to meet protein goals everyday. Meal replacement shakes are okay here and there, but they don't really give you a real picture of what changes you will need for the future.

I've been using the shakes as a breakfast replacement bc I'm just not hungry in the morning!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options

I've been using the shakes as a breakfast replacement bc I'm just not hungry in the morning!

If you aren't hungry in the mornings you don't have to eat (or drink) anything. You can still lose weight. What time you eat does not matter. When I found this out; 10 pounds, figuratively, melted off.
  • bruhaha007
    bruhaha007 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    It is helpful to fuel your body throughout the day to keep your metabolism in check. I take meal replacement shakes to help keep my metabolism going in addition to eating smaller clean meals throughout the day. I also do intermittent cleansing/fasting to accelerate the weight loss when I am shredding.
  • Aleeshawilliams22
    Options
    bruhaha007 wrote: »
    It is helpful to fuel your body throughout the day to keep your metabolism in check. I take meal replacement shakes to help keep my metabolism going in addition to eating smaller clean meals throughout the day. I also do intermittent cleansing/fasting to accelerate the weight loss when I am shredding.

That's what I'm doing as well, what do you do for meals? Like the bigger meals
  • Aleeshawilliams22
    Options

If you aren't hungry in the mornings you don't have to eat (or drink) anything. You can still lose weight. What time you eat does not matter. When I found this out; 10 pounds, figuratively, melted off.

It seems to help my hunger throughout the day when I eat breakfast
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Um no. Meal timing is not really relevant. Your metabolism goes all on it's own. But, if you like lots of small meals, then by all means do that.

Intermittent fasting is a tool that can help you reach a calorie deficit. Evidence (of so many health claims) is lacking.....no real studies (yet). Just anecdotal evidence by people who sell books.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

I'm sorry these things turn up in almost every thread. OP, don't listen to this. Eating pattern does not have any effect on weight; neither IF, nor many meals per day, nor what those meals consist of. Metabolism runs even when you're sleeping. Clean meals/food doesn't mean anything. Cleansing is nonsense.
  • Aleeshawilliams22
    Options
    Clean meals are better than McDonald's right? Lol so they kind of make a difference
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Clean meals are better than McDonald's right? Lol so they kind of make a difference
    If your "Clean meals" are lower calories than McDonalds then Yes they will absolutely make a difference. Gotta admit though that every once in a while I do want/have a Big Mac!