Pasta substitute

Options
2»

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I personally don't like a typical spaghetti sauce on squash but some people do.
    I don't like spaghetti sauce on squash, either.

Rather than cook myself a special meal, I would buy one of the higher protein, higher fiber pastas like Barilla Plus and serve it to everyone, and have a small portion myself. And have a large salad.
    http://www.barilla.com/aggregator/product/1301
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    Scrambled eggs? I sometimes put biscuit gravy on my eggs for a yummy splurge with out the extra carbs. Might work for your sauce.
  • Rosyone
    Rosyone Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    ellymvf wrote: »
    I am cooking pasta bolognese for the family today, but i am trying to lose weight. What could i put the sauce on instead of pasta? I had cauliflower rice yesterday. Any ideas welcome.x

You don't need to avoid pasta in order to lose weight. I just eat less of it - around 4 ounces cooked.

I eat the standard 2 ounces uncooked, which used to look like a skimpy serving to me. It doesn't anymore now that my eyes and stomach have been retrained to accept it as the normal, satisfying, full sized serving that it is. That's the best argument I know for not cutting your favorite foods out of your diet while you're trying to weight. You'll never have a better opportunity to develop a lifelong habit of good portion control.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    JenMc14 wrote: »
    For spaghetti squash, cut it in half and scoop the seeds put. I microwave it for about 5 minutes, then let it cool a bit to mark cutting easier.mthen put the halves flesh side down on a baking sheet. I think I usually do 350 for about 25-30 minutes. When it's done, the flesh will be soft, and you can scoop it out with a fork, and it's like spaghetti, hence the name.

For zucchini noodles, you can slice really fine, though it's hard. I might just do chunks. Unless you have a spiralizer. Then you can make the zucchini into noodles.

You might also try roasting some yummy veggies like squash, eggplant, cauliflower, mushrooms, etc. and serving the sauce over that as well.

Thanks a lot. Is normal squash the one to use?

Yes, it's called "spaghetti squash"

Before cooking:
    1ggl62t4x2bp.jpg

After cooking and peeling the strands:
    f7ho52bya3lc.jpg

I've been known to use just about any vegetable to replace pasta.

• tarabole
    tarabole Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash and zucchini noodles are great. You could serve bolgnese sauce on cauliflower rice too. You can also make butternut squash noodles with a spiralizer similar to making zucchini noodles which are also good bit of you don't have any tools spaghetti squash is your best choice because all you need is a fork.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    I also like zucchini noodles (I use this product, but there are lots out there: http://www.amazon.com/Veggetti-Spiral-Vegetable-Slicer-Veggie/dp/B00IIVRB3W/ref=sr_1_sc_2?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1455717056&sr=1-2-spell&keywords=vaggettie).

Or, I'll just put in a ton of veggies and meat so that it's super thick and eat it like a stew not over anything.

Or just fit a single portion of pasta into your daily goal.

Thank you auddii. What a great kitchen tool! <3
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Rosyone wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I am cooking pasta bolognese for the family today, but i am trying to lose weight. What could i put the sauce on instead of pasta? I had cauliflower rice yesterday. Any ideas welcome.x

You don't need to avoid pasta in order to lose weight. I just eat less of it - around 4 ounces cooked.

I eat the standard 2 ounces uncooked, which used to look like a skimpy serving to me. It doesn't anymore now that my eyes and stomach have been retrained to accept it as the normal, satisfying, full sized serving that it is. That's the best argument I know for not cutting your favorite foods out of your diet while you're trying to weight. You'll never have a better opportunity to develop a lifelong habit of good portion control.

Ya, I weighed out 2 ounces of dry penne yesterday and it looked like such a small amount, but with Cincinnati Chili it was more than enough.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    White beans. The fiber and protein is satisfying, and to me, a far better texture than squash. Squash is, well, squashy.
  • whitswilson
    whitswilson Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Sometimes Walmart has Quinoa pasta or black bean pasta. Both are, literally, just one ingredient.

OR you could try chinese white rice vermicilli.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    White beans. The fiber and protein is satisfying, and to me, a far better texture than squash. Squash is, well, squashy.

Squash is wonderful in Minestrone soup, with pasta, and beans :D
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I'd mix the sauce with some white beans and stuff into peppers, roast then top with cheese. But that's me because the only time I tried a winter squash (acorn) I didn't like it. I just don't like savory foods that taste sweet. I would only eat pumpkin in a pumpkin pie for example and would not touch sweet potatoes even if it was the last food on earth.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I switched to Fiber Gourmet brand pasta. It's half the calories of regular pasta and very high fiber without tasting gritty. It tastes like regular al dente pasta. It's not cheap, but it allows me to eat big plates of pasta and still lose weight.
  • Calibrate
    Calibrate Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I use cooked quinoa as a replacement for pasta, rice and potatoes. Also yummy cold in a salad.
  • kate2004rock
    kate2004rock Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti Squash - it's great left over (I love to add frozen meatballs and take it for lunch - or add taco meat and a little cheese and low-fat sour cream!) Yum!
  • ZeroDelta
    ZeroDelta Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Dry fried shiritaki noodles.