couch25K soreness

ChantalGG
ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
edited September 28 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey i did week 1 and day 1 on Saturday, I was running with someone that didnt respect the program, and pushed me to run/walk for 48 minutes instead of 20 minutes! I was pretty surprised i could do it but today i am sore. How do you get through the muscle soreness to run for the next day scheduled? It is just my legs and butt that are giving me problems. Oh and i have both sides of my groins pulled. :S

Replies

• guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Just stretch the muscles that are sore, and try to relax. If you need to take an extra day off, it won't hurt. I was sore the first week too, so I just took two days in between my first and second day. I was fine after that.
  • joshholl
    joshholl Posts: 17
    as guppygirl said, stretch...lots of it, also i stretched 20-25 minutes after my runs and it seemed to keep my muscles from tightening too much. Outside of that as long as the pain wasnt unbearable, i pushed through it.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,459 Member
    Soreness is to be expected with doing something you don't usually do, but that is good since you are using different muscles! If you have pulled something, for that you need to rest and nurse it so it doesn't get worst.
    As for being pushed harder than the C25K program, if you were able to accomplish that, you may want to consider doing something different. C25K worked for me, but I had a hard time running 60 seconds when I started it, and 5 minutes would have been impossible; for you, sounds like you are in better shape than I was at the time.
  • I warm up, stretch, then go for however long and then cool down and stretch. I never did this before and I was always sore and it was harder to run the next time. Now I am doing 70 and 80 min jogs and I have very little soreness. I am now a firm believer in warm up, and cool downs and stretching! p.s. I don't stretch for very long like 1 min on each end, if I do my long jogs then I try to stretch for 5 mins or so.
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    I think c25k is more about going slowly to avoid injury rather than endurance. You need to go slow to give the muscles and joints time to get used to the pounding.
  • ChantalGG
    Okay. I will try running again tomorrow and do a stretch after my warm up this time. Last time it was just after the run. I am going to do my usual exercise (30 day Shred) today hopefully that will sooth my muscles a bit. I find when i move them they hurt less. I am loving running though never tried before, It is like a freedom thing. i went out and got my feet fitted, bought new shoes and i felt like i was running on clouds my feet were the only thing that didnt hurt after the run. :smile:
  • I agree with guppy...

To add to that - I'm doing the C25k program as well. I'm on week 3 (for the second time). I managed to pull a groin muscle on my first time through week 3 on day 2. It hurt quite a bit. I rested it the next day (didn't do any excercise), and I was actually fine the next day after that and did my week 3 day 3 without pain, I just made sure to really stretch before the run this time. I'm going to add the stretching in before every run now, and hopefully that will stop any chances of the groin pull happening again and I've decided to do week 3 over again since I hurt myself.

I did Week 2 twice as well since I was having trouble with major cramping on my right side. That's when I learned about cadence breathing and keeping my rib cage up to eliminate the cramping. On the second time through week 2, I didn't have any cramping using the new breathing technique. So I figured since I hurt myself on week 3, like I did with week 2, I'd do the week over again to make sure I'm really safe moving into the next Week.

Whenever I run with others, I just make sure they know that I am by no means a "runner" yet. I let them know that I have chosen to follow the C25k program, and then I follow it (I have a C25k App on my phone that tells me when to run or walk). If they choose to run ahead or run faster, I let them. I try to make sure I'm concentrating on myself and my fitness goals, rather than trying to be something I'm not or force myself to adhere to their fitness ability. Its worked pretty well, though I have been running with folks who understand and appreciate what I'm trying to do and help me through it. I've found a perfect 3 mile loop around my house, and I do the C25k program until that ends, and then walk the rest of the way. It's been great fun, and I'm looking forward to each new "week" on the program.

Good luck!
  • ChantalGG
    I agree with guppy...

To add to that - I'm doing the C25k program as well. I'm on week 3 (for the second time). I managed to pull a groin muscle on my first time through week 3 on day 2. It hurt quite a bit. I rested it the next day (didn't do any excercise), and I was actually fine the next day after that and did my week 3 day 3 without pain, I just made sure to really stretch before the run this time. I'm going to add the stretching in before every run now, and hopefully that will stop any chances of the groin pull happening again and I've decided to do week 3 over again since I hurt myself.

I did Week 2 twice as well since I was having trouble with major cramping on my right side. That's when I learned about cadence breathing and keeping my rib cage up to eliminate the cramping. On the second time through week 2, I didn't have any cramping using the new breathing technique. So I figured since I hurt myself on week 3, like I did with week 2, I'd do the week over again to make sure I'm really safe moving into the next Week.

Whenever I run with others, I just make sure they know that I am by no means a "runner" yet. I let them know that I have chosen to follow the C25k program, and then I follow it (I have a C25k App on my phone that tells me when to run or walk). If they choose to run ahead or run faster, I let them. I try to make sure I'm concentrating on myself and my fitness goals, rather than trying to be something I'm not or force myself to adhere to their fitness ability. Its worked pretty well, though I have been running with folks who understand and appreciate what I'm trying to do and help me through it. I've found a perfect 3 mile loop around my house, and I do the C25k program until that ends, and then walk the rest of the way. It's been great fun, and I'm looking forward to each new "week" on the program.

Good luck!

Thanks! I was having bad cramps half way trough and then near the end both sides where cramping and discover on my own raising my chest up while running took the pain away. I think my struggle will be the breathing part of it. Any tips?
  • Ndskuse
    Ndskuse Posts: 15
    I respect the program, I just knew that you had the ability to do more than the average starter (ie couch)...you did fantastic and soreness is to be expected. You just don't give yourself enough credit.
  • ChantalGG
    I respect the program, I just knew that you had the ability to do more than the average starter (ie couch)...you did fantastic and soreness is to be expected. You just don't give yourself enough credit.
    Thanks. :) I just did my 30 day shred workout and once I got moving the pain kind of disappears and my workout improved. Hope you are ready to run again tomorrow.
  • I agree with guppy...

Good luck!

Thanks! I was having bad cramps half way trough and then near the end both sides where cramping and discover on my own raising my chest up while running took the pain away. I think my struggle will be the breathing part of it. Any tips?

What I learned was that if I breathe in or out only when my left foot hits the ground, I stopped cramping. I make sure to keep my rib cage up, and my chin and head up rather than looking down at what I'm running on. I also take shorter breaths now, rather than deeper breaths and that helps a lot too.

I also discovered that i was eating or drinking too close to my running...so once I spread out the amount of time between drinking/eating and running I stood less of a chance of cramping.

If I still cramp, I've found that if you stick your fingers in under the rib cage (as best as you can) and lift, that generally releases the pressure. Stay moving though if you're doing this...it sucks and it hurts but you have to keep moving because it gets worse if you stop.

Hope that helps!
This discussion has been closed.