Help with macros

Is calculating your macros worthwhile? And if so, how do you get the most accurate calculation? I've tried several different calculators and gotten very different results and have no idea which to follow. I'm 5'4 and 124 lbs and am trying to lose fat. I work out 5-6x a week. Any advice on what my macro percentages should be?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Have you put your goals and stats into MFP? It will give you default macro recommendations that you can try and then adjust.
  • morganpalmer9
    morganpalmer9 Posts: 73 Member
    Yes, but it says 150 grams of carbs, 60 grams protein and 40 grams fat. I thought the carbs seemed pretty high for someone trying to lose fat but maybe I'm wrong
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Yes, but it says 150 grams of carbs, 60 grams protein and 40 grams fat. I thought the carbs seemed pretty high for someone trying to lose fat but maybe I'm wrong

A calorie deficit is how you lose fat. You can still consume carbohydrates while losing fat. However, if you want to eat fewer carbohydrates, it's fine to adjust that downward.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    As, I'm sure you will be told time and again, carbs will not make you fat. Barring some kind of medical issue that necessitates you tracking carbs, you don't really need to worry about it. It's overall calories that matter for weight loss. Proper nutrition is a different matter, though.

A common rule of thumb is to set protein such that it's .6-1.0 grams per pound of lean body mass
    Fat so it's roughly .4 grams per pound of lean mass
    The rest of your remaining calories can be filled up with whatever you'd like, including carbs.

Also useful:
    Protein and carbs... 1 gram equals 4 calories
    Fat... 1 gram equals 9 calories

That said, there are many different ways of eating and some people find that others, like low carb high fat, keto, high carb low fat, etc work for them. You'll have to experiment to find out what satisfies you more and allows you to eat the greatest quantity of food within your calorie goal.
  • morganpalmer9
    morganpalmer9 Posts: 73 Member
    Is there any way to figure that out without knowing lean body mass? I have no idea what my BMI is.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited February 2016
    You can use your goal weight as a starting point. or use online photos to guesstimate. Something like this:

BF-Female-1024x639.jpg

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    To lose fat, you are best off lowering carbs. Carbs raise insulin, which in turn puts the body in fat storage mode. :)
  • vcanrod
    vcanrod Posts: 5 Member
    I have the same questions.
  • kate2004rock
    kate2004rock Posts: 223 Member
    vcanrod wrote: »
    I have the same questions.

Ditto. And I think I don't want to know what % lean body mass i have... Yikes! (Judging from those pictures)
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    www.iifym.com (If It Fits Your Macros) has a calculator for this. The TDEE portion is public. But in order to get your macros part of it you have to "signup" - just creating an account with an email. Its easy and free. I really like it. I can play with the numbers easily to go up or down.
    Carbs will not make you fat. Going over calories will.