What is your average miles/kms walking speed per hour

Options

Replies

• PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I'm short 5'1" and when I am power walking my average pace is 4.0 mph my fastest pace has been 5.2 mph. My fastest mile is 13:13. I use Runkeeper or Runtastic for my speed and mileage. I have taken up golf and I pull my clubs and my average pace pulling my clubs and walking on the grass is 3.3 mph. I am slowing down due to leg pain. I average 100 miles per month.
  • MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    5'5 here, and anywhere from 3.5-4.5 mph on the treadmill, at 10% incline. I start at 3, and end around 4-4.5 depending on how I'm feeling.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    My everyday walking is 2 mph. I started back to Leslie Sansone videos and she goes at 4 mph.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Holy crap you guys are fast! How accurate is MapMyRun?? I've used it twice this morning, the last one said 1.22km (0.6miles)-Duration 24:25 which I think works out to 1.86m per hour or 3kms per hour. That is truly pathetic :(

BTW I'm 5"8 and always thought I was a fast walker haha Literally any faster and I'd be jogging. I'm hoping my numbers are off somewhere...

Don't you walk 10 km per day? At that pace it would take you 3 1/2 hours! My bet is the tracker is off.

I usually walk between 15-17 Kms a day. MapMyRun says I've walked a little over 2kms and fitbit says 6.18Kms. So something is off somewhere..
    Oh and yeah, it takes me a while, as I don't do it all at once, I spread it out throughout the day. It's 9;30am here and I've done 7,490 steps
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Holy crap you guys are fast! How accurate is MapMyRun?? I've used it twice this morning, the last one said 1.22km (0.6miles)-Duration 24:25 which I think works out to 1.86m per hour or 3kms per hour. That is truly pathetic :(

BTW I'm 5"8 and always thought I was a fast walker haha Literally any faster and I'd be jogging. I'm hoping my numbers are off somewhere...

2mph is really slow for someone who feels like they usually walk at a brisk pace. That's what the treadmill at my gym starts at and you have to turn it up, and for me it almost takes more effort to walk that slow. A good strolling pace for most people is maybe 2.8-3.2mph? I think a lot of people seem like their speeds are kind of high BUT that's a workout pace. If I was just out for a walk or walking through the mall or whatnot I'd be going closer to 3-3.2mph for sure.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    At our high school track, Map My Walk has me at right around 4 miles per hour.
    But on the track of our cruise ship it had me at 22 miles. I finally figured out that it was because the ship was moving. Duh!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    3.5-4 mph depending
    I start a nice steady jog at about 5 mph on the treadmill, but tend to go to 6 mph when on a track.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'm sure your tracker or app is off.
  • olong
    olong Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    With all due respect, and knowing that you are asking out of curiosity, don't worry about the next person. Gauge yourself first on what feels challenging while letting you go as far as you plan, then challenge yourself on another day. Own your accomplishment as your own, without regard to how it matches against another's efforts.

That being said...

I use MMR (at my desktop computer, not on a phone app) whenever I walk or run outside in my neighborhood. I know that there are streets in my neighborhood that are more level and others are not, so, my average speed is a combination of the slow uphills, fast downhills and moderate flats. Treadmill rates are typically going to be more consistent than outdoor walking/running because you're adapting your pace to the machine speed. MMR is going to have a more accurate distance traversed, you simply need to be accurate with your start time and end time and the amount of time you might wait at traffic lights to cross major streets.

Remember, the fitbit calculated distance assumes you are walking (or running) at the exact same stride length (that you input in settings) with each and every step your walk/run. Fitbit is guaranteed to never get your distance correct because we adjust our stride length with every step.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I'm sure your tracker or app is off.

Yes, agreed. Like I said, any faster and I'd be jogging! People are always telling me to slooooow down when we're out and about at my normal walking pace.

Thank-you everyone for your replies. I'm just going to stick with my fitbit which has served me well, and stop overthinking and driving myself nuts with this MMR app :rage:
  • McKittyJane
    McKittyJane Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    3.5-4mph walking (normal pace). Run at 8-9mph. I'm 5'8, but like 5'7 of that is my legs; I have a long stride.
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    It's kind of difficult to compare yourself to others with decent accuracy in this department. Well, at least it is for me. I'm only 5'4 and have a very narrow gait, so I feel like I almost have to run at 3.5 mph. It'd be tough for me to find a running buddy unless they were significantly short than I am.

My boyfriend is 6'0 and every time he walks somewhere with an intent to hurry a little bit, I literally have to run to keep up with him. On the plus side, that's extra calories for me, on the negative side, he seems to always do this when I'm wearing heals.

lol. I thought I was the only one! I am 5ft short with short stumpy legs. DH is 5'11 and had to stroll for me to keep up. When I walk with my friends and they go brisk, I practically have to run to keep up. One time I nearly collapsed when we were rushing through a big mall - keeping up was almost impossible *sigh*

I avg 3mph if I am walking normally and 3.5mph on my brisk walks. I have tried 4mph but that's a struggle for me to maintain.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    well i decided to use a stop watch and my fitbit to work this out.. Will post results
  • Christine_72
    Options
    ...And here tis. Walked 1.13kms in 9:49 which equals 7.3kph or 4.56mph. This sounds more accurate.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    5 kilometers per hour.

If it were flat here I might be able to manage something slightly faster. When I lived in Manitoba, I was doing 6 km/h.

If I weren't carrying a heavy backpack half the time when I walk, I might also pick up a bit of speed.

The 5 km/h is calculated by mapping out where I walk in Google maps, and using a watch to time myself.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    When I am walking with my husband outside or when I am on the indoor track at the gym, I average 3.7-4.0 mph. At home on the treadmill, I go slower because I read while doing it. Generally I am in the 3.2-3.5 range but sometimes I feel like strolling so I'll move it down to 3.0 (usually if I'm walking for a few minutes after lifting.)

When I walk with my husband, I slow down. He's on his feet most of the day, so when we go for a walk, he wants to walk slowly. Half the time I find myself 3 or 4 metres ahead of him all of a sudden because I start walking my "normal" pace. :grin:
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much I'm going to walk at a time, because I have malformed toes that get sore if I walk far too quickly (depending on my shoes, too). If it's a mile or two, I do 4mph generally. Longer than that and I'll usually slow down, unless I'm trying to get somewhere fast ;) I'm 5'6" but my legs are long for my height (I'm short-waisted).
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    When I am walking with my husband outside or when I am on the indoor track at the gym, I average 3.7-4.0 mph. At home on the treadmill, I go slower because I read while doing it. Generally I am in the 3.2-3.5 range but sometimes I feel like strolling so I'll move it down to 3.0 (usually if I'm walking for a few minutes after lifting.)

When I walk with my husband, I slow down. He's on his feet most of the day, so when we go for a walk, he wants to walk slowly. Half the time I find myself 3 or 4 metres ahead of him all of a sudden because I start walking my "normal" pace. :grin:

Yeah, my husband has commented "I feel like I'm slowing you down" when I walk with him. He's 8" taller than me but prefers walking slower. I can't stand being passed when I'm walking and I tend to pick people ahead of me and try to pass them. I've finished a run and while walking home cooling off someone has walked past me and I've immediately sped up to pass them again. Heh.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Oh geeze I feel like a turtle compared to you guys! Per Strava, I avg 2.7mph taking a 4.8mi walk. Any faster than that and it all starts to hurt, lol.