Unexpected weight gain! Can't seem to loose it

Options
I am currently on a ski season and have been for 3 months. I ski around 3/4 times a week for 2-4 hours a day. I am constantly on my feet, the only time I sit is to go to bed I eat healthily, mainly salads with chicken and veg etc. the off bit of chocolate and lots of fruit. I drink once a week. Why have I gained weight? Mainly on my arms and hips??! I just don't understand. I've roughly counted the calories I consume and the exercise I do on this app. I should be loosing weight! Any advise?! What's wrong?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    How much have you gained? Have you actually weighed yourself or do you think you just look bigger?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,164 Member
    Options
    Rough counting may and often does miss things. The most probable explanation is you are eating more than you think. Start really logging and see what you are actually eating.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    gemms94 wrote: »
    I am currently on a ski season and have been for 3 months. I ski around 3/4 times a week for 2-4 hours a day. I am constantly on my feet, the only time I sit is to go to bed I eat healthily, mainly salads with chicken and veg etc. the off bit of chocolate and lots of fruit. I drink once a week. Why have I gained weight? Mainly on my arms and hips??! I just don't understand. I've roughly counted the calories I consume and the exercise I do on this app. I should be loosing weight! Any advise?! What's wrong?

That's probably your problem. Tighten up the logging and see if it makes a difference.

• GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    If you're gaining weight you're either underestimating how much calories you're eating, or overestimating how much you're burning.
    Try logging more carefully, and see if that helps.
    Also, as jemhh mentioned, if you just look/feel bigger it could be your muscles reacting to extra exercise.
  • gemms94
    gemms94 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! I don't think I over estimate my calorie intake as I'm quite good at heathy eating and portion size. It could possibly be the muscle mass I guess as my body isn't use to excercise.
  • gemms94
    gemms94 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    How much have you gained? Have you actually weighed yourself or do you think you just look bigger?

I've gained roughly 4/5 pounds. When putting on clothes they are tighter. They use to fit perfectly before the season. I can tell I've gained muscle on my bum, but I feel bigger
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    gemms94 wrote: »
    Thank you guys! I don't think I over estimate my calorie intake as I'm quite good at heathy eating and portion size. It could possibly be the muscle mass I guess as my body isn't use to excercise.

If you are eating at a calorie deficit...you are not gaining muscle. Especially not 4 or 5 lbs worth. Men who are bulking and eat a lot and eat like 200+ g of protein a day don't put on that much in that short amount of time.

When you start using your muscles more they'll retain water to repair themselves and puff up/swell as a result of the new activity. So if your muscles look bigger that's likely the cause. Everyone here is telling you to look at your logging. But if you want to keep gaining weight, by all means, keep only 'roughly' counting.