Hypothyroid nutrition

Options
I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 13 years ago but they've never gotten my hormones to level out and my medication doses have been up and down! It wasn't until I started researching nutrition and thyroid & took certain foods out of my diet I started to feel better. Anyone else out there experience this? I'd love to chat with someone who can relate:)

Replies

• chey282
    chey282 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Are you taking brand name or generic synthroid? And what foods did you eliminate? I'm also hypothyroid, on .225 much of synthroid daily. Can't take generic as it doesn't work for me.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Feed that Thyroid!!! 1 ea Iodoral tablet/daily.
  • blancoms
    blancoms Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    chey282 wrote: »
    Are you taking brand name or generic synthroid? And what foods did you eliminate? I'm also hypothyroid, on .225 much of synthroid daily. Can't take generic as it doesn't work for me.

Just curious, as it is extremely rare for generic to not work vs generic, do you know why it didn't work for you? Was it a certain excipient in the generic?
  • chey282
    Options
    No idea, I started on it like 27 yrs ago and the few times I used generic it wasn't working for me, even several Drs have said that's one med that the generic isnt equal after I had the issues, in their opinions. Which is weird with the requirements in generic vs brand. Haven't had issues with any other generics.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    vaness2911 wrote: »
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 13 years ago but they've never gotten my hormones to level out and my medication doses have been up and down! It wasn't until I started researching nutrition and thyroid & took certain foods out of my diet I started to feel better. Anyone else out there experience this? I'd love to chat with someone who can relate:)

Your medication needing adjustment is normal. It is rare to not need changes every few years, if not more frequently.
  • misstori4
    misstori4 Posts: 15 Member
    Options

Just curious, as it is extremely rare for generic to not work vs generic, do you know why it didn't work for you? Was it a certain excipient in the generic?[/quote]

Hi, my name is Tori. I was diagnosed with hashimotos last year, and I am on a different name brand of synthroid called levoxyl. My friend said that her doc explained that generic synthroid can be too varied like one pill is 75mg and the next is 125mg. Generic are supposed to be kept to a certain range, but this particular generic medicine has a wider range than most medicine. Hopefully I explained this well.

I have been feeling awful since october, but my primary says all of my labs are fine (She tested tsh, free t3 and total t4). So I am waiting to see the endocrinologist on March 18th. Hopeful they adjust my medicine.
  • chey282
    Options
    All they have told me is that in synthroid, it's the one medicine that for some reason generic isn't the same as brand name. I hadn't heard the variation in doseage, that's a pretty big swing. It just doesn't work the same. Even the military pharmacy where I fill my script carries name brand synthroid instead of generic. It's about the only brand you will get in name brand if there is a generic available!
  • blancoms
    blancoms Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thats strange it wouldn't be pulled from the market, then, since it wouldnt meet FDA guidelines under that assumption.
    I did fine on generic.
    to each their own, i guess.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    There are certain foods that can affect the thyroid such as almonds, broccoli and sprouts, there are more but i cant remember, thyroid uk has the full list on their website. I've never noticed a difference with eating them though although a lot of them are on my I don't like list lol! (cooking is supposed to reduce this effect).

Gluten free or paleo diets are supposedly also helpful when you are hypo but I'm just not willing to cut out anything from my diet. So I haven't tested the theory to be honest, basically I'm happy as I am but I have very steady thyroid hormone levels so that may be a factor.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Are you getting any iodine in your diet?
    Processed foods and fast foods do not use iodized salt.
    A multivitamin often contains just a touch of iodine which can help.
    http://www.thyroid.org/iodine-deficiency/
  • Mom2JonandAlex
    Mom2JonandAlex Posts: 15 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I've been hypothyroid since I was 13 and have tried twice over my 34 years on this planet to use the generic and it just didn't work. I felt like a train wreck, so I too, have to stick to name brand. I don't know what it is about it, but it just doesn't work. It's the only medicine I've ever encountered that won't work with me as a generic. It's strange. As long as I stay on the brand my levels stay normal.

As far as diet I've not really encountered anything that interferes with my levels. I eat a well rounded/balanced diet, however I do make sure I get a little iodized salt and extra calcium in me somehow. Through supplements or whatnot. I know that it is a little harder to loose weight with hypothyroid, but sticking with it and being consistent and the weight comes off (finally!) :smile: I have finally hit the sweet spot and am losing, I've lost almost 65 lbs just under a year.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I was taking 175 mg of synthroid for 15 years lost 100lbs down to 136mg I have never had a food problem with being hypothyroid just ate to many calories..
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I have hashi's. I take time released compounded T3 and do well on it. I can't tolerate T4 meds and I will never ever again subject my body to the poison that is Synthroid. I'd like to go back on Armour or the equivalent someday, but right now T3 seems to be working best.

I follow my doctor's instructions not to eat gluten and that has helped lower my antibodies from the thousands down into the hundreds, but hasn't eliminated them. I don't eat soy (or rarely do...it's hard to find chocolate without soy). I have used the GAPs diet and the Autoimmune Paleo diet. GAPs provided some permanent healing, but takes a lot of willpower, work and planning. AIP helped me identify some foods that exacerbate my health problems, but again, willpower, work and planning are a challenge for me.

I am careful to eat plenty of fats, to eat fairly clean, and to not go too low carb. My thyroid likes some carbs. I don't usually avoid the goitrogen vegetables, but I do eat them cooked most of the time since I have read their goitrogenic properties are reduced or eliminated when they are cooked.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm....anybody there????......