Picky and needing to lose weight

Options
Hi everyone,

I have been struggling with my weight for years - tried Isagenix last year - lost 20lbs. Life got in the way - alot and I gained it all back. I am probably the most pickiest eater ever.

Now I am doing booty camp twice with an instructure and twice at home. I have been up and down 5lbs and it's very frustrating - maninly because I cheat twice a week give or take.

My water intake is 8 glasses a day, and 5 out of 7 days a week my breakfast is oatmeal and an apple, and lunch is fresh fruits and veggies. Dinner seems to be my downfall - chicken caeser wraps, spaghettie (whole wheat pasta) chicken and veggies, tacos, pizza once in a while...

I need advice on how to eat right with the foods I like and lose weight. What are some good dinner ideas - or substitues to what I am eating. I know Salt is a big issue and I am working on that. Any Ideas?????

Replies

• justinkussman
    Options
    Have you tried eating 5 smaller meals per day? If you eat 5 smaller meals, you tend to be less hungry in the evening and avoid the dinner gorge trend, which is where most people have trouble with weight loss.
  • TromaRon
    TromaRon Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    What I love about MFP is it doesn't feel like a diet. I still eat the foods I want, just smaller amounts. I treat it like a game, staying under my calories means I won. If I want something really bad for me, I pace myself the rest of the day so I can afford the calories.
  • drmafreek
    drmafreek Posts: 1
    Options
    I know for me, it was finding the right tasting foods that were good for you. I started cooking items from Gina's Skinny Recipes website. They taste good and are still healthy. And she also gives a lot of nutritional information in regards to what you're making.

I know the cheating part, I did it a lot when I first started, but it's just something that you continue to work on. The one thing I've found is that I don't cut out bad stuff completely. If you try to go cold turkey, it's rough, and so I'll eat some chips here or there, some ice cream and what not. But I also make sure that I'm doing just a bit more exercise to help make up for it.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Might be worth opening your diary so we can give informed comments?

From the information you give here, I'd suggest you need some protein with your lunch and/or breakfast to keep you satisfied so you don't overdo it at dinner time. Nothing wrong with your choices, just exercise portion control and ensure you stay under your calories, and save pizza and tacos for a once a month treat. Try bulking out your evening meal with more veggies too.

Hope that helps!
  • skinnyrache
    skinnyrache Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You can still eat foods you like as long as you are very careful about the portion sizes. Eat just one piece of pizza and fill up on a side salad with light dressing. Measure your spaghetti portions, eat slowly...things like that. Also, do you drink a lot of calories? It sounds like your general diet isn't too bad (from what you said) but sometimes we forget to account for calories from juice/soda/alcohol/etc. Just hang in there! Weight loss takes a while :) Good luck!
  • terrysgirl0829
    terrysgirl0829 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could try doing a low carb for a week or two to get you over that plateau? I have found that skipping the bun/bread/pasta has put me on quite a fast track with weight loss. Pasta, even the whole wheat, spikes your blood sugar more than some foods. I think the key is keeping your blood sugar pretty even. Do you like eggs? You could try eggs in the morning every other day to shake up your metabolism-there are so many things you can do with eggs. Hope this helps some, and good luck getting over that hump! Great job on the exercize four days a week-cudos!!
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    Hm you should open your diary if you really want some help :)
  • SHANELLEN
    SHANELLEN Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey !
    I also am a very picky eater and my downfall is junk food. Why is it that when your trying to lose weight the immediate thing to do is STOP eating the things you enjoy ? Hungry Girl is my solution ! Basically on her website (hungry-girl.com) she takes every kind of junk food or un-healthy meal you can think of (fatty lasagnas to banana splits) and makes them calorie wise and much healthier!

Have some Sesame Chicken : http://www.hungry-girl.com/chew/show/1838
    or
    Chocolate Lava Cake : http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1180

And a lot of her recipes are here on my fitness pal so you can type in Hungry Girl or HG and her recipes and their calories will come up as options !
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I don't think anything you're eating is that bad, I just wonder how much of it are you eating at a time? (except maybe the pizza and tacos depending on what's on them)

I cannot tell you how glad I am that I bought one of those cheap little diet scales (like $5 from the grocery store) because then I could weigh everything out and know what a portion looked like. You could also try looking for light/low cal dressings. I don't know anything about tacos, but I know they make some decent whole wheat tortillas, and which have between 50 and 80 calories each.

i used to eat pasta every night basically. I would alternate between alfredo sauce with chicken and broccoli or just plain meat sauce. I liked to use prego meat sauce (80 calories) or their traditional (70) and then make a turkey sandwich or a piece of grilled chicken to go with it. For the alfredo I used ragu light parmesan alfredo sauce (60 calories) and add a precooked tyson grilled chicken breast (110) with store brand whole wheat pasta (180) and then cut up some raw carrots and broccoli and add them to the pot of pasta the last 2-3 minutes so I wouldn't have to use two pots haha also grilling you own chicken will let you control sodium

hope that helps!