Toning Arms

Options
As I am losing weight I am trying to tone as I go to try and avoid as much loose skin as possible. My big worry is my arms looking bulky vs toned...any exercise tips to avoid the "bulk" look but still tone my arms?

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    muscle and fat are different things.

if you have a good amount of muscle it will look toned when it's not covered in fat. It may look bulky if it is covered in fat.

so the only option you really have is to lose fat overall and continue to work out/perform resistance training all over.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    What looks toned to one person looks bulky to the next. If you are following a good strength program and eating at a deficit then the only thing that is going to make you look bulky is perspective.
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    First thing to learn (which I am surprised I am the first to point out, although rainbowbow alluded to) is that "toned" or "toning" are misnomers.
    Getting that "toned" look comes from losing the fat that surrounds the muscle. There are many factors to getting "bulky", namely genetics, diet and/or supplements, training, etc. In other words, if you are not specifically training and/or eating to become bulky, you likely will not get bulky.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    do push ups.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    If you're in a calorie deficit you won't start looking bulky keep lifting and you'll be fine.
  • AbigailC17
    AbigailC17 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I do not use the word toning at all. It is basically building muscle and losing the fat on top of it. Beginners can get away with gaining muscle and reduce the layer of fat at the same time. However, muscle becomes hard to obtain once you're training for years (It slows down over time). Unless, you are genetically gifted on that part. Me, I literally have to go through caloric surplus (purposely gain weight) for building muscle then go through a deficit to show the muscle I had gained from my surplus. Moreover, I have to keep all my macros in check to either minimize fat gains in surplus or if I'm in a deficit. I have to keep my macros in check to minimize muscle loss. Everything is very slow for me and if you are gaining way too much muscle to your liking you can stop. I will be here wishing I have your genetics :(
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Anyone else have that issue where you just get too big from lifting weights? Trust me you will not get bulky, and if you do, it'll be after years of progressive lifting with a caloric surplus. Building muscle is extremely difficult. Why do you think so many opt for steroids even with its direct influence to their health? Also you can't "tone" you can lower bf% revealing the muscle underneath.