Calories burnt not through work outs

Options
I stand for about 8 hours a day and lift boxs I burn alot just doing that will I lose weight by just working or do I need to burn extra calories through work outs to?

Replies

• Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by eating less calories than you burn. It doesn't matter how you burn them. There are a few people on here who don't exercise at all and have lost weight by just eating less.
  • Katiedriss1
    Katiedriss1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I stand for about 8 hours a day and lift boxs I burn alot just doing that will I lose weight by just working or do I need to burn extra calories through work outs to?

I burn around 2500 at work
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

When mfp asks you to choose your activity level, you should be including this activity in your estimate. MFP then uses this to calculate your calorie goal with deficit.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

How do you figure this?

Your job should be included in your activity level - i.e. sedentary, lightly active, etc.
  • Katiedriss1
    Options
    I got a calo

How do you figure this?

Your job should be included in your activity level - i.e. sedentary, lightly active, etc.

I got a calorie counter from my nutritionist
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    As stated above, you lose weight when your energy consumption is less than your output. If you burn, say, 2500 calories per day without any exercise...just your BMR and your day to day and you eat 2000 calories per day, you'd lose about 1 Lb per week. Exercise and all activity simply increase your output of energy...and it's really good for you any many other respects. The purpose of exercise isn't to expend energy (i.e. burn calories)...it's a nice bi-product, but really, there are numerous other benefits that substantially outweigh your calorie burn.

ETA: the counter you are using is most likely not saying you burn 2500 calories from your work...it's saying you burn 2500 calories overall...i.e. your BMR (the calories you burn merely existing...for most this is the most substantial energy expenditure) plus you work and day to day activity.

• 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I got a calo

How do you figure this?

Calorie counter?
    What is it?
  • Katiedriss1
    Options
    I got a calo

How do you figure this?

Calorie counter?
    What is it?

I'm not sure the brand but it hooks into my computer I put my weight into it it tracks my foot steps and pulse
  • Katiedriss1
    Options
    I got a calo

How do you figure this?

Calorie counter?
    What is it?

I'm not sure the brand but it hooks into my computer I put my weight into it it tracks my foot steps and pulse

Its Garmin brand just looked
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I got a calo

How do you figure this?

Calorie counter?
    What is it?

Ah.

I agree with Cwolfman's ETA - it is likely telling you 2500 calories for the whole day, not just your work.
  • drskye
    drskye Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have not lost but 1 1lb in 3 weeks need help?
  • Katiedriss1
    Options
    I got a calo

How do you figure this?

Calorie counter?
    What is it?

I'm not sure the brand but it hooks into my computer I put my weight into it it tracks my foot steps and pulse [/qhome so]

Ah.

I agree with Cwolfman's ETA - it is likely telling you 2500 calories for the whole day, not just your work.

I know its for the hole day I burn alot of my calories at work because by the end of the day I'm so tired I do nothing I also take the watch off about a hour after I get home I should have wrote my topic better.
  • Katiedriss1
    Options

I burn around 2500 at work I take my calorie counter off about a hour after I get home sometimes I work 10 hour days

• 3dogsrunning
    Options

I burn around 2500 at work I take my calorie counter off about a hour after I get home sometimes I work 10 hour days

Well, it depends on the tracker. Do you know what brand it is? My Garmin tells me my calories for the day even if I don't wear it the whole day.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    If losing weight is your goal, all you need to worry about is CICO, barring some medical issue. Your calorie intake combined with your calories burned are what matter.

Are you taking in more calories than you burn?

Adding exercise will increase the number of calories you burn on a daily basis.

Provided you log your food accurately by weighing all solids and using appropriate liquid measure for all liquids, eat up to your goal as provided by MFP, and don't exceed that goal, you should then, logically lose weight.

Now, if you log exercise, it will increase your calorie goal for the day, meaning you can eat that many more calories to reach your goal and still maintain a deficit.

It's often said that abs are made in the kitchen or that you can't out exercise a bad diet, and these things are true. But personally, I don't exercise for weight loss when I can achieve that by logging my food and eating to goal... i exercise for fitness and general health or to do specific things that i enjoy. My meaning for adding this is simply, no matter how much or how little you exercise and for whatever reasons, weight loss is achieved by controlling dietary intake.

That's a round about answer that covers a lot of basis. Is the answer to your question in there somewhere?

*edited for spelling
  • Katiedriss1
    Options

Well, it depends on the tracker. Do you know what brand it is? My Garmin tells me my calories for the day even if I don't wear it the whole day.

My nutritionist gave me one that only keeps track of activity when its turned on because that's the one I wanted I am also a big girl I'm 5 foot 3 and around 250
  • Katiedriss1
    Options
    If losing weight is your goal, all you need to worry about is CICO, barring some medical issue. Your calorie intake combined with your calories burned are what matter.

Are you taking in more calories than you burn?

Adding exercise will increase the number of calories you burn on a daily basis.

Provided you log your food accurately by weighing all solids and using appropriate liquid measure for all liquids, eat up to your goal as provided by MFP, and don't exceed that goal, you should then, logically lose weight.

Now, if you log exercise, it will increase your calorie goal for the day, meaning you can eat that many more calories to reach your goal and still maintain a deficit.

It's often said that abs are made in the kitchen or that you can't out exercise a bad diet, and these things are true. But personally, I don't exercise for weight loss when I can achieve that by logging my food and eating to goal... i exercise for fitness and general health or to do specific things that i enjoy. My meaning for adding this is simply, no matter how much or how little you exercise and for whatever reasons, weight loss is achieved by controlling dietary intake.

That's a round about answer that covers a lot of basis. Is the answer to your question in there somewhere?

*edited for spelling

Thank you. I only log work out calories burned I work out on weekends for a long time I am following everything I have a trip comming up in June and want to lose as much as possible
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Think of it like banking...let's say that for a long time you've taken in more money then you expend...that excess goes to savings...now lets say that something happens and you're bringing in less money than you expend in a month...let's say no you're taking in 2,000 per month but you're expending 2,500 per month...you have a deficiency there and you have to make up that difference...so you dip into savings (i.e. your body fat stores)...eventually, slowly but surely, you whittle away at those savings to keep up with your expenditures....that's exactly what you're doing when you're trying to lose weight.