Wrestling: Men and Women

Options
Who here wrestles?

I started last year and love it.

I hope since there are a lot of you from the states I can make wrestling friends.

Ladies do you wrestle? If not, why? Would you? What stops you.

I can't stress enough what an amazing workout it is, it really doesn't have to be brutish, it's about technique and body positioning. It's an amazing feeling using such small manipualtion of the body to enact large movements. Quite empowering.

Always looking for more buddies add me it you want to keep motivated.

Replies

• parfia
    parfia Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I would love to wrestle but over here in the UK, I just can't find a class that is near or at a time that I can get to :(
  • Jus_gem
    Jus_gem Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Oh wow Parfia where are you based, I'll ask my wrestling coach who is local to you. I train in Kent. There is training in Kent, Surrey, Tonbridge that I know of. Bu yes it is hard to find. Think there is a school in Birmingham too.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I hope you're prepared the PMs you're gonna get on this site.

This%20is%20not%20what%20I%20was%20expecting%20Gif.gif
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I wrestled in high school. I mostly joined the team to get in shape and make friends; I was not any good at it lol. I only won one match in two years on the team. I still have my singlet though, and occasionally bust it out for Halloween or costume parties.
  • Jus_gem
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    I hope you're prepared the PMs you're gonna get on this site.

This%20is%20not%20what%20I%20was%20expecting%20Gif.gif

HAHA I was deliberately misleading!
  • Arianera
    Arianera Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Not aware of any adults who wrestle, but there are a number of folks who practice BJJ and other martial arts with a lot of grappling on the Martial Arts board.

(My 6th grade son wrestled for the first time this winter, and I'm hoping he will continue next year)
  • ZeroDelta
    ZeroDelta Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Jus_gem wrote: »
    Who here wrestles?

I hope since there are a lot of you from the states I can make wrestling friends.

I can't stress enough what an amazing workout it is, it really doesn't have to be brutish, it's about technique and body positioning. It's an amazing feeling using such small manipualtion of the body to enact large movements. Quite empowering.

I'd do it as long as I didn't have to touch my opponent. :wink:
  • 3AAnn3
    3AAnn3 Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    I wrestle with really hot people.
  • Jus_gem
    Options
    Arianera wrote: »
    Not aware of any adults who wrestle, but there are a number of folks who practice BJJ and other martial arts with a lot of grappling on the Martial Arts board.

(My 6th grade son wrestled for the first time this winter, and I'm hoping he will continue next year)

I do BJJ too! But started wrestling it's awesome!
  • Jus_gem
    Options
    ZeroDelta wrote: »
    Jus_gem wrote: »
    Who here wrestles?

I'd do it as long as I didn't have to touch my opponent. :wink:

DOn't blame you, sometime the are a bit gross and sweaty.
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I don't wrestle but I train BJJ, feel free to add me :)
  • Jus_gem
    Options
    Woohoo more BJJ friends.
  • rupertspenser
    rupertspenser Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    yeah i have a similar problem would love to wrestle... so far only done, jujutsu, karate and a few other bits and pieces but haven't found a school for wrestling (i'm near cambridge)
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I think it's so awesome that women are being accepted as wrestlers now!
    When I was in high school, women were not allowed to wrestle. The girls who were interested in wrestling got be in the 'Wrestling Club" and took stats at meets, and the closest we got to the mats was getting to clean them and put them away after practice. Seriously different world now, and it's awesome to see girls learning the skills.