5'9 381lbs 40 year old male, looking for friends

Hi all, I am in need of friends to help keep me focused on changing my ways before it kills me. I have been overweight my whole life, I broke 200lbs by the time I reached the 4th grade. I am borderline diabetic, I have blood pressure problems, and suffer from anxiety/depression.

I have pretty much accepted the fact that if I don't change now that I will likely be too far gone to make a difference later down the road... So it's now or never.

Replies

• mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Please feel free to add me.
  • emmahhjo
    emmahhjo Posts: 10 Member
    @fatrob381 You can do it! How are you changing your lifestyle?
  • getsweaty123go
    getsweaty123go Posts: 53 Member
    please add me! I need more friends too :-)
  • UG77
    UG77 Posts: 206 Member
    Friend request sent.
  • fatrob381
    fatrob381 Posts: 6 Member
    To start I am trying to eliminate all sugars, I have quit drinking pop completely.... I have cut way back on breads, and trying to be more active. I have been a truck driver for 17 plus years, so I do my fair share of setting on my butt every day. But with the weather getting warmer I am doing some bike riding in the evenings after work when the weather permits
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    What kind of truck driving? OTR or local?
  • JeromeBarry1
    By the way, I was way over 300lb when I was 38. I can assure you that the lifestyle changes you need to make to get rid of the first 100 lb are less expensive and more convenient than the things you're doing yesterday to maintain a 381 lb body.
  • fatrob381

Local
  • UG77
    UG77 Posts: 206 Member
    About the only thing that is good about being really big (like I am) is that getting the early weight off is relatively simple and just involves stopping doing a lot of the things that you're doing wrong.

Cutting soda is a pretty significant step. As you start logging and become aware of portion control you'll see where and when certain foods are having a large impact into your calorie budget.

One thing I'll tell you from experience is that walking will be your friend. Find the time. Make the time. Set it aside. Walk. Be patient, get good shoes. Serious about the shoes, insofar as I'd recommend you go to a specialty running store and have them check you out on a treadmill to get you in the right shoe. It's embarrassing (at least it was for me) but suck it up. It's going to hurt anyway when you start, even with the right pair of shoes on. You don't need any additional problems to discourage you. When you start lugging around 300+ pounds while walking, it is going to add up calorie wise and it is going to have an impact.
  • fatrob381
    UG77 wrote: »
    About the only thing that is good about being really big (like I am) is that getting the early weight off is relatively simple and just involves stopping doing a lot of the things that you're doing wrong.

Cutting soda is a pretty significant step. As you start logging and become aware of portion control you'll see where and when certain foods are having a large impact into your calorie budget.

One thing I'll tell you from experience is that walking will be your friend. Find the time. Make the time. Set it aside. Walk. Be patient, get good shoes. Serious about the shoes, insofar as I'd recommend you go to a specialty running store and have them check you out on a treadmill to get you in the right shoe. It's embarrassing (at least it was for me) but suck it up. It's going to hurt anyway when you start, even with the right pair of shoes on. You don't need any additional problems to discourage you. When you start lugging around 300+ pounds while walking, it is going to add up calorie wise and it is going to have an impact.

Thanks for the tips, very appreciated.

I am at work at the moment, so it is difficult to reply
  • JeromeBarry1
    fatrob381 wrote: »

Local

Great! It's easier to get control of your food that way. Looking over a couple of days of your recent log, I see that you're a fan of convenience. Me, too. You can easily find ways to do this. Look at your new friend's food logs to see if you can get ideas about what you can do to change your food.
  • fatrob381
    fatrob381 wrote: »

Local

Great! It's easier to get control of your food that way. Looking over a couple of days of your recent log, I see that you're a fan of convenience. Me, too. You can easily find ways to do this. Look at your new friend's food logs to see if you can get ideas about what you can do to change your food.

Pay no attention to those girl scout cookies from today.... I accidently bought a box yesterday and had to get rid of the evidence today ><
  • getty123
    getty123 Posts: 18 Member
    Feel free to add me
  • rdgfreshstart2016
    rdgfreshstart2016 Posts: 75 Member
    On this journey for the long haul too. Feel free to add me.
  • Goatsmith
    Goatsmith Posts: 29 Member
    Best of luck to you. I've lost almost a hundred pounds from 2012 to now.

Sending a request.
  • ZantanaKMC
    ZantanaKMC Posts: 11 Member
    Friend request sent
  • markyrocks
    markyrocks Posts: 33 Member
    Request sent Mate. I really enjoy reading through the posts on here, and the status updates of my friends. Good to see I am not the only one that caves every now and then, but it seems the key is to get back on the horse straight away. I used to think, " Oh well, I have broken my diet, ill just binge tonight and start tomorrow". Then that turns into "oh, ill start a keto diet, or shake diet, its Friday now so I'll just postpone it until Monday." This is what I am trying to change, this and my portion sizes. Good Luck Mate