Teach me how to love lifting

Options
I. Hate. It. But I wanna love it. Any tips?

Replies

• trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Make it part of your routine. I like stronglifts 5x5 because I can complete the entire workout in 30 minutes.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You lift. Then you love feeling stronger. Then you love lifting/strength training.

Perhaps consider starting with another method of strength training. Body weight, bands, TRX.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I hate heavy weight on my back but love the results I can get by moving it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Get better at it by doing it and chances are you won't hate it as much. And if you still do hate it, at a minimum it will be slightly easier because you'll know what you're doing so the time will go faster.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Get in the habit. You'll see results, that will be motivation in itself. Set fitness/lifting goals. For example, I started off leg pressing 110 (max) and wanted my goal to be 260 - rep. I can now leg press 365 - rep. Motivates you like crazy to continue and never give up.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Try different lifting programs to see what works best for you. I personally like lifting for strength because it makes me feel like a beast. So to keep me motivated I incorporate strength focused main lifts in my workout with higher rep accessory work.
  • bruhaha007
    bruhaha007 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Be consistent, if you plan to go the gym three days a week you have to go three days a week and not skip. Also, it helps to get in and out in 45 minutes or less so you don't dread going. What will keep you going back and not dreading it is when you look in the mirror and see real results but in the meantime be consistent and find a workout circuit that works best for you. Lot's of great ideas from others on different workout routines to try. I also find if my diet is bad I am much less motivated to workout so eat clean!
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    ydyms wrote: »
    I. Hate. It. But I wanna love it. Any tips?
    Why the hate? Details.
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I used to hate it. It hurts, it's hard, it's boring. I blast some kick-*kitten* music in my headphones & get myself pumped up mentally. I picture what I want to look like & all the amazing things I want to be able to do with my strength. I do short routines (30 mins of actual lifting) and supersets to make things go faster (or at least feel faster) After a few solid workouts I can feel my strength improving & that's what really started to spur me on. For me, the right playlist is a big deal to get me in the zone. Actually starting enjoy it now. Love is still too strong a word ;)
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Share more details about what you hate specifically and I'm sure you'll get some pointed tips.
  • ydyms
    ydyms Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I hate it cuz it's boring. But I do love the feeling when I'm done! So I guess I need to make it routine as you all mentioned!
  • patesq
    patesq Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I started enjoying it when I started seeing results. Seeing my biceps appear and the muscles in my forearm gain definition helped. And my quads are really muscular. Someone showed me a website, strengthlevel.com, and I'm getting encouragement from watching my strength level increase. It compares your lifts to others in your age/weight group so you get an idea of how you are improving.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I hate it cuz it's boring. But I do love the feeling when I'm done! So I guess I need to make it routine as you all mentioned!

Find some other lifting program, or some completely different resistance training routine?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    I hate it cuz it's boring.

If it's boring, the weight is too light. :+1:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    keep on doing it, eventually you will enjoy it especially once you start noticing your muscle tone :smile:
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

This^^^
  • mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    If you hate it then do something you like. Not everyone likes to lift.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone can be taught to like something. Try a few variations to see if any are ones that you prefer. Strength training can be done many different ways.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can be taught to like something either. As a matter of fact, I know you can't.

So my take is, if you hate something, don't do it and find something else of interest. That something else of interest may make you want to do it. Not rocket science here...
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

:expressionless:

Anyways, if you don't enjoy something the liklihood of you keeping it up is pretty low. In my opinion, you should find something that challenges you that you enjoy doing and can maintain forever. You don't HAVE to lift weights to have a nice physique, be strong, or "be cool" despite what everyone on MFP says.