Does anyone have an office job and go work out on your lunch

Options

Replies

• imnotyourpal
    imnotyourpal Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    There's ZERO flexibility in my job. I can't get to a restaurant to have a sit-down lunch and back to work in an hour, never mind work out and shower. :( That is why my days are soooooo long. 7:30am-8:30pm includes my commute and gym time. I have NO life outside of work and the gym. Everything else goes by the wayside. It's sad, really, but I can't NOT work out.
  • reammi
    reammi Posts: 70
    Options
    I also have a desk job that is fairly flexible. I go to the gym every morning for at least 90 minutes before work. I shower and by the time I get to work I'm ready for my day. I have tried to go to the gym at lunchtime but for me it was crowded.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I go for walks or take a swim at the campus pool (I work at a university). I also get upand take short walks every hour or so - even just around the building will wake me up and keep me energized.
  • Lissajoy08
    Lissajoy08 Posts: 35
    Options
    I actually walk during my lunch hour. I change into a t-shirt and tennis shoes and walk for about 20 minutes. I wear dress pants everyday so they are really comfortable to walk in. I walk at a faster pace and if it's nice I go outside. If it's not I walk down the stairs and through the other buildings. We have a fairly large campus and it makes it very convenient. I take a friend with me and it is great! We just keep a steady pace for 20 minutes, change, and then eat our lunch for the remaining 10. I always bring extra deoderant and some moist towlette freshener things if I feel gross afterwards.
  • syates83
    syates83 Posts: 87
    Options
    I have an office on the Riverwalk in San Antonio, TX...I bring a change of clothes and walk during my lunch hour...it's over 100 degrees outside and I sweat quite a bit but I have extra clothes and body splash to get me through the rest of the day. It's not ideal but it's my "me" time in the middle of the day...minus kids. :)
  • sbrown6
    sbrown6 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I'll be starting on teh 1st. There is a gym up the road from work and I am going to start going on my lunch hour. I initially wanted to start the Couch 25K on the treadmill. I figure I will have enough time to get in a good half hour, get a quick rinse off in teh shower and get back to work. I can always eat at my desk while I'm working so I don't really need my lunch hour to eat. I am so lucky that my awesome sister works across the street from me and we will go together to the gym.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I walk on my lunch. Does that count? Not worth missing meals to workout, unless you can eat your lunch pre "lunch break" time.
  • sbrown6
    sbrown6 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I have an office on the Riverwalk in San Antonio, TX...I bring a change of clothes and walk during my lunch hour...it's over 100 degrees outside and I sweat quite a bit but I have extra clothes and body splash to get me through the rest of the day. It's not ideal but it's my "me" time in the middle of the day...minus kids. :)

WOW! I can't believe you get out there in that heat! You must be seriously motivated. I live in Austin and do my level best to stay indoors all day. Its been just over a hundred every day for the last two weeks! That's why I am joining the gym.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job also...but some days during the week I work PT at night, so getting sweaty on lunch isn't an option unless I want to be miserable all day....so on those days, I do a mile or so walk on my lunch...sometimes longer if it's not hot as hell outside! :)
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job and play ping pong at lunch with a few coworkers. It isn't great exercise because we play doubles, but it's fun and it relieves stress too. I also only get a half hour.

Other people just go walking.
  • skinnyhappy
    skinnyhappy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I do a full workout at lunch, elliptical, weights, even some yoga because my muscles are warm. It's a great way to relieve all the tension that builds up in my shoulders and I always feel awesome afterward. Totally worth giving up your lunch break :)
  • NicLiving
    NicLiving Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation. I work in an office, but with the cost of gas, it wouldn't make sense for me to drive to the gym so I've had to be creative. I bring my workout gear and take advantage of the space around me. I go next door and walk/run about 2 miles in an empty parking lot. Theirs no traffic, no cost and I can go to the ladies room after and freshen myselft up and return to work.
    The only drawback is ...RAIN!
  • Kappyoc
    Kappyoc Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I also have a desk job. I've tried working out and taking my couple of mile walks on my lunch hour, but I don't like coming back all hot and sweaty. If you can exercise during your lunch and not do this, it would be great! I feel I can do more and feel better if I exercise early, but don't like the sweaty feeling when I come back to work, so I do it after work. Hang in there!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I have a "desk" job, could work from home but I know I wouldn't get anything done there, but I always bring my lunch and snacks with me.
  • rayneface
    rayneface Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have an hour lunch and I def can't go over that time. I do www.bodyrock.tv workouts. They are normally less than 20 minutes and they are very intense. Plus most of them you don't need anything more than a timer (majority are bodyweight exercises) ... It gives me lots of time to get myself presentable again and it helps make the rest of my day more productive - wakes me up for sure!

I have been doing the BodyRock workouts for a few months, I workout every lunch hour I get - I kept track - today is day 152 where I have been at work and done my workout!!!!

You can do it, it's just a matter of how badly you want to !
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    I used to do this until my workouts got too long. I made my lunch ahead of time and had it ready for when I came back. I took a 1 hr break and ended up with 32 min workouts before I showered and came back. Mid-day workouts are great energy boosts and got me through the day a lot easier.. You should do it! If the lunch workouts isn't enough, you'd be surprised how easy it is to do a 2nd workout after work too.. :)
  • lolabluola
    lolabluola Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I just walk for an hour on my lunches and track it with my phone... I wouldn't be able to get all sweaty and shower quick enough ;)
  • rcochnar
    rcochnar Posts: 11
    Options
    I've worked out during my lunch break and the past and have found it a miserable experience. I had to end up cutting corners and rushing. Exercising after work is a nice stress reliever.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Weather permitting, I take a walk at lunch. I don't have time for more of a workout unfortunately.
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    I do my cardio at lunch and my weights after work. It's easier for me to break it up into two sessions. I'm also lucky to have a small gym in my building so I run, shower and get back to work pretty quickly. Makes the day go by much faster for me too. :happy: