Vitamins..???

Options
Hi all can any one HELP...! What's the best balance of vitamins please ...??? I'm on a 1700 a day calorie intake..what Do I need ..??
Thanks
Colin

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    You need to ask your doctor for blood tests to see if you are deficient in anything. Otherwise, a decent multivitamin should be enough, if even needed at all. Some who live in northern climates feel they benefit from additional vitamin "D" but that is individual.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Hi all can any one HELP...! What's the best balance of vitamins please ...??? I'm on a 1700 a day calorie intake..what Do I need ..??
    Thanks
    Colin

Do you mean fats, carbs, protein etc? Or Vitamin A, B etc?
  • therousehouse38
    therousehouse38 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    As strang as it sounds I don't know...! I'm on 2000 calls a day ...! I'm balanceing my diet with veg fruit and all fresh foods.... I just feel I should have some vitamins to help ...?
    Colin
  • therousehouse38
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    You need to ask your doctor for blood tests to see if you are deficient in anything. Otherwise, a decent multivitamin should be enough, if even needed at all. Some who live in northern climates feel they benefit from additional vitamin "D" but that is individual.
    earlnabby wrote: »

• therousehouse38
    Options
    Thanks all .. I've got a doctors appointment next week.... So I'll ask ..
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Taking extra vitamins will do nothing for you unless you have a deficiency. Having said that, many people can benefit from a good multi. But if you're seeing your doctor, ask to get all your levels checked, so you know.
  • BettyBoles
    BettyBoles Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am on 1800-2000 calories per day and take varieties of food for all vitamins and minerals. A balanced diet is the best balance of vitamins and other essentials nutrients.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I take a one-daily to cover my behind, and a 5000mg D3 by doctor's orders because I run very deficient (typical for people with lupus).
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I take a one-daily to cover my behind, and a 5000mg D3 by doctor's orders because I run very deficient (typical for people with lupus).

Yeah I do a multi and 3000 D3 a day for similar(ish) reasons
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I was suggested to take D in the winter to help feel less tired/sad, and B12 to help with energy. If you can get your doctor to actually show you your blood test results it would be worthwhile, it was a year before I knew that I was one point away from pre-diabetes, and the dietician who pulled up my chart said that was still important even though I didn't meet the threshold criteria, it was still an issue.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I like CVS brand "Spectravite multivitamin/multimineral supplement: Adult 50+" (even though I'm in my 40's) as a good all-around one that adds some minerals I don't eat much of. I have to add some separate ones because of anemia issues and more Mg because of a medicine I take, etc, so it'll definitely depend on your own results. But that's just one that is very good and easy to find, so I'll give it my thumbs up, FWIW.

Still, folks on blood thinners won't want to take any K, thyroid problems could mean the Iodine in it isn't appropriate, etc. So always ask your doctor what to avoid taking! It's usually a shorter and more important list than what they recommend ;)
  • BoogeyBrat
    BoogeyBrat Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I take Life's Fortune Multivitamin and Mineral. I work a split shift and am always tired in the afternoon so I'll pop two of them about 1 o'clock and it really helps with my energy levels. I take them for granted sometimes, but when I run out I always notice a difference in how I feel.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    A multivitamin will have b12 and D. I take it when dieting in case I don't eat perfectly every day.
    Choose a men's over 50 multi. Many will have extra vits for prostate health.
    http://www.oneaday.com/mens-50-healthyadvantage
  • therousehouse38
    Options
    Thanks
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,409 Member
    Options
    Don't take any multivitamin before having any tests done! Those will mess with the blood results, giving you potentially good levels even if you might be deficient in something. Simply put: with a normal diet and normal digestion you don't need vitamins apart from maybe vitamin d3.