sodium and fibre

Options
ji225
ji225 Posts: 89 Member
Hi All,

I'm new and have been tracking food for about 5 days, but I notice that my fibre is way over what it should be according to the figures and that my sodium is almost non existant. I thought sodium was present in most food, but doesn't seem to be present in what I am currently eating - do I need to eat more salt to make a success of this weight loss??

Thanks,

Jenny

Replies

• joanneeee
    joanneeee Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    the fibre on here is ridiculously low (15g????). 25-30g+ is good
  • sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    The fiber counts are low on here. The recommended daily value is 25 grams and you should get at least that. You do need some sodium but not much. I aim for about half of what MFP says although it doesn't always happen.
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Make sure that when you are clicking on foods you are adding to your diary that they have a few member confirmations. It is possible that the member who added them didn't add the sodium. BUT, that said, if all is correct good for you! I don't think going over on fiber is a bad thing as long as things are moving correctly :blushing:

L
  • RinaMax
    RinaMax Posts: 33
    Options
    Hey Jenny,

Personally, I think you are doing the right thing. A lot of fiber is really good. Further, a low sodium diet is excellent. Keep in mind, however, that some of the foods you are entering into your diary may have wrong sodium information.

Make sure to drink lots of water. Not only does water help to curb your appetite (people often think they are hungry when they are actually thirsty), it helps to flush out your system.

While I don't know what your diet looks like, it seems you are on the right track for weight loss. Make sure not to overdo it on the carbs though!

:)

Rina
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Welcome! New studies say you only need about 1500 mg of sodium/day and MFP is still set at 2500. I would say you're probably fine. Make sure you're looking at more than just one food entry though sometimes people don't put the sodium content in the database when they enter the food... As for the fiber- yeah, the fiber setting is super low. Don't worry if you're over in fiber just make sure you're getting plenty of water to keep things moving. ;)

Cheers!
  • ji225
    ji225 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Ahh thanks all - I wasnt sure if soemone had already covered this topic being new, so I really appreciate your input. I'll stick with loads of fruit and veg and keep an eye on the sodium content of the database foods. Thanks!
    Jenny
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I think if you are otherwise healthy and drink plenty of fluids, the higher sodium allowance is okay. Especially if you are working up a sweat with your workouts.
  • deedeedoolittle
    deedeedoolittle Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the exact same with my fibre, its always a nice bit over and was worried, however I think fibre is one of the things that its good to have more of as long as carbs aren't over :)