I Need Lots Of Help To Eat Less Sugar - Have Eaten Too Much For Years And Years

Options

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    This is an extreme suggestion, but perhaps you can lock your husband's stash in a safe and only he has the key.
  • niamibunni
    niamibunni Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    If you have an issue with controlling how much or what you eat, throw the junk food out and do not allow it back into the house until you are able to win the battle with overeating sugar and any frankenfoods containing it. (Watch the 'diet' soda junk too!)

Moderation and all that nonsense set you up for failure in the future if you do not address the issue on what is triggering your eating it in the first place.

Sugar that occurs naturally, of course, is fine. You're not going to do yourself in by eating a handful of berries (unless you have a specific health issue with those). :p

Health conditions are a pain in the rear. One doctor doesn't recognize symptoms you have, then later on the next doctor does and helps you get better. My thyroid issues, PCOS, and other health stuff took decades for me to get help with!
  • JeromeBarry1
    Options
    Try this: You are already honestly listing your candy in your 'Junk Food' category. That's good. Set yourself the goal that tomorrow you will have 3 entries, and Friday 2 entries, and Saturday 1 entry for candy in your 'Junk Food' category, then allow yourself 1 entry in that category while resuming progress toward your weight loss goal. It's awesome that you were able to knock off 39 pounds, and you can get the rest of the way down. One thing that benefits me is that the office candy bowl is stocked with mini-sized candies. The Milk Duds box has 4 Duds in it. The Snickers Mini has 45 calories. A single Hershey Kiss has about 25. I noticed your candies were the large sizes of boxes. Try just getting a bag of mini-sized candy portions for yourself (one portion daily), and maybe even exclusively have mini-sized portions of candy in your house for your men also.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    If your husband loved peanuts, and your son developed a severe peanut allergy, I presume your husband would quickly remove all peanuts from your home. He'd either eat them elsewhere or not eat them at all. Why is your issue with having sugary foods in the house any different? Why isn't YOUR health a priority for your husband? His "need" for sweets isn't more important than your need for health. <stepping off soap box>
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    This is an extreme suggestion, but perhaps you can lock your husband's stash in a safe and only he has the key.

Well, we have a safe, but he isn't going to want to have to go and get into the safe all the time.

• arabianhorselover
    Options
    niamibunni wrote: »
    If you have an issue with controlling how much or what you eat, throw the junk food out and do not allow it back into the house until you are able to win the battle with overeating sugar and any frankenfoods containing it. (Watch the 'diet' soda junk too!)

Moderation and all that nonsense set you up for failure in the future if you do not address the issue on what is triggering your eating it in the first place.

Sugar that occurs naturally, of course, is fine. You're not going to do yourself in by eating a handful of berries (unless you have a specific health issue with those). :p

Health conditions are a pain in the rear. One doctor doesn't recognize symptoms you have, then later on the next doctor does and helps you get better. My thyroid issues, PCOS, and other health stuff took decades for me to get help with!

Once again, I am not the only one who lives in the house. The others have a right to eat what they want to eat. It is not their fault that I have a problem with over eating. I am the one who needs to learn to control that.

• arabianhorselover
    Options
    Try this: You are already honestly listing your candy in your 'Junk Food' category. That's good. Set yourself the goal that tomorrow you will have 3 entries, and Friday 2 entries, and Saturday 1 entry for candy in your 'Junk Food' category, then allow yourself 1 entry in that category while resuming progress toward your weight loss goal. It's awesome that you were able to knock off 39 pounds, and you can get the rest of the way down. One thing that benefits me is that the office candy bowl is stocked with mini-sized candies. The Milk Duds box has 4 Duds in it. The Snickers Mini has 45 calories. A single Hershey Kiss has about 25. I noticed your candies were the large sizes of boxes. Try just getting a bag of mini-sized candy portions for yourself (one portion daily), and maybe even exclusively have mini-sized portions of candy in your house for your men also.

Thank you. I actually took off another 10 pounds that I have gained back over the last many months. Unfortunately I don't think I can cut down as fast as you are suggesting.

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Well, I really like whole grains and dairy, but right now the nurse practitioner I am seeing is trying to get me to cut them out. I really don't want to do that.

The problem is that I do not eat sugar in moderation!

The Nurse Practitioner is trying to get you to cut whole grains and dairy? Is this to help with a specific medical condition?

Well, she practices functional medicine - holistic healthcare. I started seeing her because my regular doctor does not understand thyroid and certain other issues. I do like the idea of preventative care rather than just taking a pill once you are ill.

I believe she is of the idea that grain and dairy are not needed in the diet, and actually cause problems.

Get another health care practitioner then, preferably a real dietition and not an mystic with a medical title. As for your doctor not understanding thyroid issues? That's odd, are you sure you just aren't shopping for an oppinion that supports your belief?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    bruhaha007 wrote: »
    Limit your sugar intake as a woman to less than 46 grams per day to the best of your ability. We need some sugar in our diets and it is important to regulate our metabolism but excess sugar causes many negative consequences. Avoid sodas and do your best to find healthier substitutes.

I guess I wasn't aware that sugar had any nutritional value, or that we actually needed to ingest it in any way in order to be healthy.

Sugar is in many foods that have health benefits.
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Decide how many more times you'll try eating moderate amounts of candy, cake, ice cream, whatever. Maybe it'll be 20 times and on the 19th try you'll get it and stick with it for years with great results.

But if it's your millionth try and you can see all the years gone by that you weren't able eat small portions of sweets - you might need another approach. Complete elimination.

If you've tried elimination of sweets - trying and failing for years - for what feels like a million times - you'll just have to make a decision on which commitment you'll decide to make a success. Elimination or moderation.

I personally don't think support has anything to do with it.

A wise poster on this board once listed a number of different ways to lose weight and closed with Choose Your Hard. Both ways are hard. All ways are hard. You just have to choose your hard.

I can tell by the wording of your post(s) that you've found it very difficult. You may read a lot of MFPers say they didn't have such a hard time with it, that they found it rather easy. Just know where you stand and don't expect it to be easy, no matter who around you says it was easy for them. For you it will be a hard won victory and I think you should accept that.

You are right. It does have to be a decision that I make and stick with.
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    64crayons wrote: »
    If your husband loved peanuts, and your son developed a severe peanut allergy, I presume your husband would quickly remove all peanuts from your home. He'd either eat them elsewhere or not eat them at all. Why is your issue with having sugary foods in the house any different? Why isn't YOUR health a priority for your husband? His "need" for sweets isn't more important than your need for health. <stepping off soap box>

The fact is that even if the stuff wasn't in the house I could get it if I want to. Him not having it wouldn't stop me.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    niamibunni wrote: »

She said she feels she can't toss it out because of others in the house. I think it's important to note that for many of us avoiding contact is not really possible. I have never kept much sweet stuff in the house, since I don't really like non homemade other than good chocolate or ice cream (and I keep ice cream now, but didn't when gaining weight -- I'd impulse buy it when I wanted to eat it). However, I have sweets and other snack foods around me at all times at work, and had to learn to deal with the temptation.

OP, you have gotten various suggestions (like focusing on filling your diet with other things or focusing on context triggers) and I am wondering if you have any thoughts on them at all.
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Replace your sugars with 'better' for you sugar- such as coconut sugar and stevia based sugars. Be sure to adjust them when using them in your foods of course. Avoid like sweet and low/chemcial based low sugars, as they apparently can up your cravings for carbs (darn you estrogen screwing up everything good).

Some sugar is good. Try darker chocolates, dried/whole fruits, whole nuts, and the such when snacking for a sweet tooth.
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    lindsayh87 wrote: »
    Tea with organic stevia, lots of fruit as other suggested & just avoiding it as much as possible helps me. I allow myself a bit of chocolate or a sucker almost every day. Knowing I can have a small amount helps. The struggle is real. I'm all about candy. I could eat so much, every day. It really does get easier, I promise! If your hubby isn't ready to quit make him buy his own or buy stuff that you don't prefer. Like if I'm having movie night with my kids and they're getting candy its best if they get candy that isn't my favorite so I'm less likely to eat it. Good luck!

He does buy his own. And he buys the kinds of ice cream that are not my favorites.
  • JeromeBarry1
    Options
    One thing that benefits me is that the office candy bowl is stocked with mini-sized candies. The Milk Duds box has 4 Duds in it. The Snickers Mini has 45 calories. A single Hershey Kiss has about 25. I noticed your candies were the large sizes of boxes. Try just getting a bag of mini-sized candy portions for yourself (one portion daily), and maybe even exclusively have mini-sized portions of candy in your house for your men also.

Thank you. I actually took off another 10 pounds that I have gained back over the last many months. Unfortunately I don't think I can cut down as fast as you are suggesting.

Then just try the second suggestion, mini portions. Instead of chewing, just suck on the candies. They last longer that way.
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    Well, I really like whole grains and dairy, but right now the nurse practitioner I am seeing is trying to get me to cut them out. I really don't want to do that.

The Nurse Practitioner is trying to get you to cut whole grains and dairy? Is this to help with a specific medical condition?

Well, she practices functional medicine - holistic healthcare. I started seeing her because my regular doctor does not understand thyroid and certain other issues. I do like the idea of preventative care rather than just taking a pill once you are ill.

I believe she is of the idea that grain and dairy are not needed in the diet, and actually cause problems.

Get another health care practitioner then, preferably a real dietition and not an mystic with a medical title. As for your doctor not understanding thyroid issues? That's odd, are you sure you just aren't shopping for an oppinion that supports your belief?

Actually, it is not odd at all as evidenced by the many, many people who have found this to be true.
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    bruhaha007 wrote: »
    Limit your sugar intake as a woman to less than 46 grams per day to the best of your ability. We need some sugar in our diets and it is important to regulate our metabolism but excess sugar causes many negative consequences. Avoid sodas and do your best to find healthier substitutes.

I guess I wasn't aware that sugar had any nutritional value, or that we actually needed to ingest it in any way in order to be healthy.

Sugar is in many foods that have health benefits.

Yes. Natural sugar. Not the stuff we humans add.

• Wheelhouse15
    Options
    64crayons wrote: »

The fact is that even if the stuff wasn't in the house I could get it if I want to. Him not having it wouldn't stop me.

This is true, but avoiding temptation beats willpower any day and not having it in the house definitely helps. So what's your thinking on how to avoid sugary treats and snacks then? The only one who can control your behaviour is you so you'll have to determine a strategy that works for you and then stick too it.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Actually, it is not odd at all as evidenced by the many, many people who have found this to be true.

I'm not sure what you mean by many people or what you are refering to as undiagnosed issues, but a referal to an endrocrinologist would be in order it seems.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Can you set up a place where all treats go that is easy to access but no treats are visible? Out of sight out of mind. We have a big wicker basket that sits on the top shelf of the pantry.