Low Calorie Allowance

Options
I just wondered why the calorie intake on MFP is so low.

For example, I am allowed 1540 a day. How is this calculated?

Is it based on 2500 for a man, and I am using 1000 calories as I sleep, and just go about my day so I can eat 1500 cals?

Thx

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    It's based on your BMR and a multiplier for activity level so it depends on your weight, sex, and what you put in as your activity level. It's not horribly accurate and you'll have to figure out your own maintenance level as you go really.
  • GrahamUK72
    GrahamUK72 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    It's based on your BMR and a multiplier for activity level so it depends on your weight, sex, and what you put in as your activity level. It's not horribly accurate and you'll have to figure out your own maintenance level as you go really.

Thx,

I assumed it was based on BMR, but the calories in seems very low compared to other diets etc.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Thx,

I assumed it was based on BMR, but the calories in seems very low compared to other diets etc.

The MFP app isn't really a diet per se it's more of just a food logger and database. If you want a better caluclator you might want to try If It Fits Your Macros http://www.iifym.com/ which has a lot of calculators on it. TDEE is the best for figuring out estimates of total daily energy expenditures.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Thx,

that's because MFP expects you to be reasonable in your deficit of choice and your daily activity level. plus if you do any exercise, you should eat those calories back too.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I just wondered why the calorie intake on MFP is so low.

For example, I am allowed 1540 a day. How is this calculated?
    Thx

For sedentary: BMR * 1.2 - weight loss in lbs/week * 500
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Thx,

MFP is typically lower for two reasons; one people choose a too aggressive goal 2lbs/week while TDEE calculators usually go 20% below TDEE (20% below a 2500 maintenance is only 500 cals, good for 1lb/week). The second and biggest reason is that exercise goals are not included in your caloric goal, this is why MFP adds back calories you burn from exercise and are expected to eat.

So change your goal to 1 lb/week, and eat back the cals burned from exercise and your weekly intake should be pretty close.

As an example say MFP gives you 1450 calories to lose 1 lb/week, and you plan on exercising 5x/week for an average of 400 cals per workout. well MFP will tell you to eat 1450 on the days you don't workout and 1850 on the days you do whereas a TDEE calculator may tell you to eat 1700 everyday regardless if you workout.

So for the week MFP will have you eat 12,150 (1450*2+1850*5) whereas TDEE - will have you eat 11,900 (1700*7) almost the same number of cals for the week (250 dif). The issue in not following MFP is if you don't workout the full 5 days or burn more or less than planned. If that is the case you may lose more or less than your goal, whereas MFP will have you lose your goal amount regardless how much you actually workout.

What many MFPers do is take the low 1450 and not eat back exercise calories which is wrong, if you are not eating them back then your daily activity level should reflect the higher burn with would be covered in the 1700/day above.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

Thx,

MFP is typically lower for two reasons; one people choose a too aggressive goal 2lbs/week while TDEE calculators usually go 20% below TDEE (20% below a 2500 maintenance is only 500 cals, good for 1lb/week). The second and biggest reason is that exercise goals are not included in your caloric goal, this is why MFP adds back calories you burn from exercise and are expected to eat.

So change your goal to 1 lb/week, and eat back the cals burned from exercise and your weekly intake should be pretty close.

As an example say MFP gives you 1450 calories to lose 1 lb/week, and you plan on exercising 5x/week for an average of 400 cals per workout. well MFP will tell you to eat 1450 on the days you don't workout and 1850 on the days you do whereas a TDEE calculator may tell you to eat 1700 everyday regardless if you workout.

So for the week MFP will have you eat 12,150 (1450*2+1850*5) whereas TDEE - will have you eat 11,900 (1700*7) almost the same number of cals for the week (250 dif). The issue in not following MFP is if you don't workout the full 5 days or burn more or less than planned. If that is the case you may lose more or less than your goal, whereas MFP will have you lose your goal amount regardless how much you actually workout.

What many MFPers do is take the low 1450 and not eat back exercise calories which is wrong, if you are not eating them back then your daily activity level should reflect the higher burn with would be covered in the 1700/day above.

This..

Except the majority of MFPer's do eat back their exercise calories, the key is to eat a portion of them back as there is no way to determine exact calorie burns through any method such as cardio machines, HRM's, etc. (they are just rough estimates). Eating too many of them back can cut into one's deficit. So choose wisely on how many you may need to eat back if you use the MFP method and not using the TDEE method mention above.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »

Thx,

This..

Except the majority of MFPer's do eat back their exercise calories, the key is to eat a portion of them back as there is no way to determine exact calorie burns through any method such as cardio machines, HRM's, etc. (they are just rough estimates). Eating too many of them back can cut into one's deficit. So choose wisely on how many you may need to eat back if you use the MFP method and not using the TDEE method mention above.

Exactly, the best thing you can do is just log and monitor as best you can and determine your actual TDEE based on these observations. Everything is a big estimate and nothing is for sure but you can certainly get close to reality if you are careful and consistent.
  • GrahamUK72
    Options

Thx,

Thanks for all that info. It's brilliant
  • GrahamUK72
    Options

I use a Fitbit Charge HR for when I go running and walking, and I have a polar chest HR monitor for my strength training.

Thx for the replies Gia
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Thx,

Apples to oranges.

There are many calculators that include exercise up front, MFP does not. If you plan on working out than your calorie goal is 1540+ exercise calories.

Another possible difference. Did you give MFP a weekly weight loss goal of 1.5 pounds and use a percentage on another sight? Make sure the weekly weight loss goals are comparable.
  • GrahamUK72
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Apples to oranges.

There are many calculators that include exercise up front, MFP does not. If you plan on working out than your calorie goal is 1540+ exercise calories.

Another possible difference. Did you give MFP a weekly weight loss goal of 1.5 pounds and use a percentage on another sight? Make sure the weekly weight loss goals are comparable.

I just wondered how it compared rather than tried other sites/plans. I thought it was the omission of exercise calories, and you have confirmed that.

Thx
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

I use a Fitbit Charge HR for when I go running and walking, and I have a polar chest HR monitor for my strength training.

Thx for the replies Gia

Just an FYI, but HRMs will not be even close to accurate for cals burned from lifting. The calculation in an HRM assumes steady state cardio, the further on the spectrum you move from that the less accurate (Lifting is on the opposite end of the spectrum from steady state cardio)
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Thx for the replies Gia

Just an FYI, but HRMs will not be even close to accurate for cals burned from lifting. The calculation in an HRM assumes steady state cardio, the further on the spectrum you move from that the less accurate (Lifting is on the opposite end of the spectrum from steady state cardio)

Very true, and lifting overhead causes a large increase in heart rate just to stabilize pressure but has no substantial increase in calories burned, however, a caloric burn algorithm associated with HR will spike calories burned but the error will depend on the length of the overhead work and how long it takes your HR to return to normal etc. I would just throw out any HR related calorie burns for weight workout since they will be way off.
  • elivelez62
    elivelez62 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. My goal is to lose 30 lbs and my daily calorie intake is 1000 cal. Once I reach my goal then I can go up to 1300 cal. to maintain the weight. Good Luck!
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I don't know your stats and goals, but I think 1540 is probably too low to properly fuel you if you are active. Have you tried tracking what you eat now and then cutting back in increments to find what amount works best for you?
  • GrahamUK72
    Options
    aub6689 wrote: »
    I don't know your stats and goals, but I think 1540 is probably too low to properly fuel you if you are active. Have you tried tracking what you eat now and then cutting back in increments to find what amount works best for you?

Good idea, thx