Unrefined Sugar Suggestions

Options
I'm considering cutting out refined sugar (or at least trying to cut out the majority of it, since I find myself eating SO much of it these days). I'm wondering for those of you who have cut it out or at least tried to cut down, what's your first choice to use in place of the sugar...

...for baking? And can you use it in all your cooking needs?

...in coffee?

I bake and I cook a lot, so something that's a healthy and usable alternative for all recipes would be great and I do add about 3 teaspoons of sugar per cup of coffee in the morning.

I appreciate any recommendations!

TIA

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweetener.
  • RejsGirl
    RejsGirl Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Artificial sweetener.

Is there a particular brand/type you'd recommend?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I use liquid stevia. One dropper full is about the equivalent to 1/4 - 1/2 c sugar for sweetness. I tend to slightly under sweeten because too much stevia can leave an aftertaste that some find distasteful.

I use Sweetleaf, I think it is called. Try one drop per tsp or Tbs in your morning tea or coffee and see how it is. Just start low and add more to taste.
  • RejsGirl
    Options
    Thank you @HappyCampr1 & @nvmomketo. I appreciate it, I will look into both of them.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I use xylitol or stevia or sucralose
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I've use stevia triple zero. You need only half of the amount of sugar you would use.
  • jesscran815
    jesscran815 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I use liquid stevia. One dropper full is about the equivalent to 1/4 - 1/2 c sugar for sweetness. I tend to slightly under sweeten because too much stevia can leave an aftertaste that some find distasteful.

I use Sweetleaf, I think it is called. Try one drop per tsp or Tbs in your morning tea or coffee and see how it is. Just start low and add more to taste.

I use this too! I just posted about this a little while ago! It's zero calorie and Stevia is an herb that just tastes sweet, just like oregano and parsley. I have actually just chewed on a Stevia leaf and it's bizarre how it tastes like sugar but is just a green leaf. I love the stuff, but the extract is very concentrated, so one careful squeeze of the little bottle is enough to almost oversweeten my coffees and teas.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Stevia extract powder has been great for my household. I use it in hot drinks, to sweeten yogurt, etc. I've used it in baking too.
    I found it at Trader Joe's, I like their product.
  • worddigger
    worddigger Posts: 79 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I use Sweetleaf liquid Stevia, Better Stevia powder and Lakanto monkfruit sweetener (the golden is my favorite) in no exact order. I find them all to be tasty, with no weird aftertaste, and am still experimenting with them in cooking. But I use them all regularly in my coffee.
  • RejsGirl
    Options
    Thank you all!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    RejsGirl wrote: »
    I'm considering cutting out refined sugar (or at least trying to cut out the majority of it, since I find myself eating SO much of it these days). I'm wondering for those of you who have cut it out or at least tried to cut down, what's your first choice to use in place of the sugar...

...for baking? And can you use it in all your cooking needs?

some of the suggestions above will be broadly useless for baking, like the liquids for example. Sugar provides bulk, moisture retention and other things that 10 drops of a liquid concentrate cannot.

Erythritol and Xylitol (poisonous to dogs) are bulking agents that might be combined with an artificial sweetener or used on their own for replacing sugar in baking.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Recently I've had to try baking using goat butter (I react to casein so cow predominantly type 1 is out, goat, type 2 mostly does not seem to give problems. I don't like the chemical filled dairy free margarine) and the triple zero sweetener which comes from tree bark. The cakes do not seem to rise as well and I'm not sure if they go stale more quickly too, or we're not eating them as fast?? This combination seems to work fine in a crumble. I think I've lost my sweet tooth.

Sugar and all other sweetening agents can have their issues.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'll talk about baking. There's a Splenda brown sugar blend that can substitute cup for cup for the real thing. It has half the calories.

You can experiment recipe by recipe cutting the sugar called for by up to a third and get used to your recipes having less sweetness. You may also skip the icing.

You may cut out the baking altogether other than special occasions. For a treat I have baked apples with walnuts, the Splenda sugar blend mentioned, and cinnamon.
  • runsonrabbitfood
    runsonrabbitfood Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Stevia drops have been mentioned already, but I just wanted to add that they come in different flavors. I personally hate anything in my coffee, but they're quite tasty in oatmeal and some smoothies. My favorite is the English Toffee.
  • LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    There are tons of raw, natural sweeteners out there. This guide should help.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    To cut back on sugar I eat less sweet stuff.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The issue with the raw natural sugars @LHWhite903 is that they will all have the same calories. I had to pay attention to that when I was T2 diabetic.

The artificial sweeteners are the only way to reduce the calories in a food.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Truvia has baking blends.
  • LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Well, @RejsGirl said she was thinking of to cut out refined sugars and wanted a more natural substitute, @jgnatca .
    I'm considering cutting out refined sugar (or at least trying to cut out the majority of it, since I find myself eating SO much of it these days). [...]
    I bake and I cook a lot, so something that's a healthy and usable alternative for all recipes would be great and I do add about 3 teaspoons of sugar per cup of coffee in the morning. [...]

That's why I posted the guide. It was more a way of saying, "here, look at the options", rather than making any recommendations.
    jgnatca wrote: »
    The issue with the raw natural sugars @LHWhite903 is that they will all have the same calories. I had to pay attention to that when I was T2 diabetic.

The artificial sweeteners are the only way to reduce the calories in a food.

I understand AODM very well, as my father has it. He uses saccharin (sweet 'n' low) in his tea. However, there are also some natural sweeteners of lower calories in there, such as that "miracle fruit" stuff, and stevia and monk fruit, which others have mentioned. You would have seen them as the first options listed on that page, had you bothered to look. Artificial sweeteners are one way to go about reducing calories, but they're not quite the only way. :smile:
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Artificial sweetener.

Is there a particular brand/type you'd recommend?

For me it is/was splenda...