Ladies: TOM question

Options
Does anyone else feel like giving up and/or defeated around aunt flo's visit??

Scale has been going wacky all week, tired, emotional and just want to hide and restart when it's over :(:(

Replies

• karlis87
    karlis87 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Yes. I almost did give up yesterday. I ate two bowls of ice cream and almost decided to call it quits on the diet altogether.
  • BoogeyBrat
    BoogeyBrat Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    It's the week before that's hard on me. I start craving things I don't usually eat, and they are all carby, salty, sugary things. If I give in then I'll gain 4-5 pounds in water weight that depresses me, and by the time TOM eventually rolls around I feel awful. The only upside of TOM is if I was diligent about keeping to my calories goals, I'll see an extra large loss around the fifth day that more than makes up for the stall.
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I ate too much today, and that's ok. Your metabolism does rev up a bit during/before TOM, so I permit myself a little extra. The trick is not to overdo it. The extra rev gives you maybe 150-250 extra calories per day to work with, not 500-600 (which is what I always seem to want!). Forgive yourself, log and move on. One day and one week won't ruin your diet. If you're good 75% of the time, the weight trend line *will* go down.
  • Katie_Y89
    Katie_Y89 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    @BoogeyBrat
    That's exactly how I feel!!! I have been craving like crazy!! Mainly sugar :/:/ yesterday I caved and had 2 candy bars so now my sweets cravings are revved up!
    Plus I'd love something I can put some hot sauce on lol!!!

• lizwrites1313
    lizwrites1313 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    God yes, I have an implant now which keeps aunt flow away but I could never get myself to exercise when she was around
  • HughesC82
    HughesC82 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I had a TOM breakdown a couple of weeks ago. I put 5lbs on and was beside myself! Ready to throw it all in but the guys on here kept me going and sure enough about 4 days after my period the weight came off again and I'm back on track. Glad I didn't give in!
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I only weigh myself once a week so I don't see the daily fluctuations. I did feel super hungry last week (which would've been the week before) but kept to my calorie goal each day. Now that I've been at this for more than six weeks (doing pretty heavy cardio, though), my time of the month is shorter and lighter (I maybe have to take Advil once and that's it). That feeling of NOT being doubled over with cramps was actually the encouragement I needed earlier this week to get my rear end to the basement and work out even when I didn't want to.
  • Katie_Y89
    Katie_Y89 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    @HughesC82 I've been trying sooo hard to keep myself in check these past couple of days. Yesterday was my cheat day, but I thought I still did good (besides 2 candy bars). Thinking aunt flo is right around the corner so going to try my hardest not to weigh myself until she is gone! Maybe even wait a few days after she is gone but not sure I'll be able to resist that long!
  • LyssieLou
    LyssieLou Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I just try to maintain my weight during TOM, I realize I won't be able to lose any weight so I focus on maintaining then I don't feel like I've had a setback.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I always have trouble with Tom. He's such a jerk! XD Usually, it's me being wiped out and cramping really bad so I don't want to get up and do anything rather than being extra hungry or craving things.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    My name is Tom but clearly the subject matter is significantly out of my element :D
  • kat_princess12
    kat_princess12 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I don't even bother weighing myself until it's over. Completely over. I make it a point to keep exercising during that time, even if I am eating more than usual, which helps me not feel like I just gave up.
  • PurpleOrchid531
    PurpleOrchid531 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Aunt Flo's pending visit drives me crazy too. Like today, all I wanted was bad food! It is really hard to be good when you're craving crap.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    My name is Tom but clearly the subject matter is significantly out of my element :D

You've never noticed ladies eating more, feeling bloated, and avoiding the scale when you've come to visit?
  • mswanger09
    mswanger09 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Aunt Flo showed up early this month. I was proud of myself for dragging my butt out of bed this morning despite my cramps. And I was wondering why the scale didn't move as much as I hoped for last week, and Monday I got my answer.

Drive me batty.
  • mizztommas
    mizztommas Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes I do feel like giving up, but I don't get cravings like that. Mainly my issue is pain that I experience during my cycle that makes me (or sometimes forces me) lie down and not do anything. At all. I sometimes feel refreshed when I get my cycle because I realize that the reason why my weight hasn't gone down is because Aunt Flo was about to visit. If I maintain my diet and exercise I will usually see the results after that heifa has gone.

Stay strong ladies.
  • bubbles31282
    bubbles31282 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    When i want something sweet, Ive been having either apples dipped in greek yogurt, a flavored zero calorie/sugar vitamin water, or non flavored greek yogurt with a scoop of chocolate whey protein powder.
  • mariannekehl
    mariannekehl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'll take TOM over menopause any day. Enjoy it while you can. When it's gone your metabolism slows down and you lose skin elasticity. Do something nice for yourself when you start feeling down. Take a long hot bath with a glass of wine and relax. Oh to be young and beautiful :)
  • Diana6ft
    Diana6ft Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with a little nutella. Make a parfait, or fruit dip. That's my go to. I think the trick is to give yourself some grace. Don't deny yourself totally. When I do that I just end up binging at the end of the day. Will power is like a muscle. By the end of the day you're worn out. Have the treat when you still have the strength to do it on moderation.