Losing On 2500 calories while BF?

Options
I've been consistently losing weight while breastfeeding for the last 10 months. I stopped logging after giving birth and just started to eat whenever I felt hungry. I'm going to start weening soon so I decided to calculate my calories for a few days to see how much I've actually been eating and it turns out I've been eating around 2400-2600 calories a day. It's crazy! I've been consisting losing about .5 lbs a week. I am 5'4" and currently weigh about 140. Could I really be burning over 1000 calories just by breastfeeding? That seems like a lot. I hardly ever exercise, except for the occasional stroll.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If you're exclusively breastfeeding, it's usually about 500 calories. So if you have a more active lifestyle outside of exercise, then yes it's possible.
  • kismetkim
    kismetkim Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It all depends how often you're feeding etc. But keep in mind that all those extra walks around the block with the stroller add up too. And if you're wearing that baby for a good part of the day, I would imagine that means you're burning extra calories in pretty much everything you do.
  • mis1022
    mis1022 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Yes bf is great for that, so once you wean baby you will have to remember to wean yourself off that many calories. I bf and remember snacking all day which may have become a habit for you, just something to be aware of to help continue the weight loss.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    This says a 10-month old would be eating around 820-1100 calories a day.

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/many-calories-should-10monthold-eating-5278.html
  • CelesseBoo
    CelesseBoo Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I find I start to gain after a bit. At 10 months your baby is going to be increasing solids and gradually decreasing the amount of your calories they burn. I tend to start gaining again around 6-12 months as baby nurses less frequently, but appetite stays the same.