caffeine addiction

Options
Hello everyone . I have a pretty bad addiction to caffeine. I drink gourmet coffee like Starbucks white mochas frequently . I get migraines if I don't have the mocha fix. Energy drinks make me sick and green tea doesn't have enough caffeine to give me a boast . I'm also not a huge fan of coffee without milk and chocolate. Please help! I know this is one of the major reasons why my weight isn't decreasing as I'd like. Any advice is welcome . Thanks!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Black tea or tea with milk? Coffee with milk? I'm not sure how frequently you're drinking coffee, but a coffee with milk has fewer calories than a mocha.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    So either gradually reduce or go cold turkey and deal with the withdrawal headaches with medication they only last a few days

You could replace calorific coffees with straight black filter ...it's the creamer / milk and sugar that adds the taste, drink Diet Coke or take a caffeine pill to keep your dosage going
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Cutting significant caffeine sucks, but only for a few days. Take painkillers for the headache, drink a bunch of water. Coffee with light milk, or a single serve of creamer is very low in calories - you don't need a calorie ladden starbucks concoction to get a caffeine hit.
  • utkarsh_rai
    utkarsh_rai Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My initial coffee addiction: 2 mugs a day; now i don't drink normal coffee but please note that i drink 4 mugs of green tea to match my initial caffeine intake.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10336068/green-tea-how-much-is-too-much#latest
    We came to a conclusion that there is no upper limit.
    You can't just stop it, because of your migraines. Start by reducing quantities. Don't just half it by skipping a cup. Just reduce little by little. You can fool your mind once a while by drinking decaf coffee and check if the real culprit is caffeine or coffee? Keep me updated.
  • koinflipper
    koinflipper Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Once addicted to caffeine, it is really hard to stop. You will have withdrawal symptoms if you go cold turkey. So if you want to decrease the amount of caffeine you are getting, you must do it gradually. But sounds that the real problem is the additions to coffee that add lots of extra calories. It is more likely you are addicted to both caffeine AND the sweetness of the mochas. So you are a Mochaholic.

You are adding a lot of calories by getting Mochas instead of coffee with skim milk and packet of sugar or sweetener. Starbuck's white chocolate mocha "short" 8oz has 250 calories. A "tall" 12 oz has 370 calories. You could start getting a Skinny Mocha with just 140 calories to start but eventually stop all mochas. If you really need caffeine for a boost, you can take a NoDoze caplet which has NO CALORIES if you can't drink black coffee. Follow label for dose. Most say take only every 4 hours.

As far as caffeine withdrawal plan, figure out exactly how much you are actually getting everyday for a starting point. Look at this chart to see how much caffeine your Mochas have. http://www.caffeineinformer.com/the-complete-guide-to-starbucks-caffeine. Then add all other amounts of caffeine you get during the day like sodas, etc. Once you know how much you are getting you can plan a gradual withdrawal program.

The safest (and calorie free way) is to use caffeine tablets or caplets. NoDoze MaxStrength has 200mg per caplet. The regular has 100mg. There are other brands available. Then spread out your caffeine fixes throughout the day and gradually reduce the number of caplets you take over a couple of weeks. You won't suffer withdrawals (headache, etc.) with gradual reductions and eventually not need a caffeine fix.

But if the problem is really the sweets you crave, you need to attack this the same way as anyone who craves donuts, chocolate candy bars, etc.

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    You could try making a lower calorie version. I was a mocha fiend for years when I was younger. If I couldn't go out and buy one, I added a packet of hot chocolate mix to my cup of coffee and added half and half. So much yum!

I will rarely drink them like that anymore, so if I want chocolate, I get a chocolate flavored grind, or I'll add Hershey's baking powder to my grinds before I brew a pot, add some milk and sweeten it with splenda or something.

It cut my regular mocha, which was probably 200 or more calories, to a drink that was only about 50 calories. It's not the same thing but I made it work because I'm not giving up my coffee. You can also play around with candy flavorings for taste. Lorann baking oils and Capella flavor concentrates have tons of flavors, and I use the vanilla and chocolate. Capella has a brownie flavor that's really yummy. No calories in these and a little goes a long way. (They're good for smoothies too!)
  • Amandalynn380
    Amandalynn380 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks! :)
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Yeah those mochas will get you. I know Starbucks has a light version. If memory serves me right, it s 130 calories instead of 250. You should be able to fit that into your daily calories.