New user, need some workout advice.....

Options
I have lost 57 pounds so far and have about 90 pounds to go. I love this site-it's so easy to use and there are so many friendly people! I needed some help keeping track of calories especially since I have been getting a little tired of it all lately. I have been overweight for about 15 years and it's definitely time to make a change! Does anyone have a workout they love to do that is different and fun? I have been walking and running for some time now, but I would like to try something different so I don't get bored. Thanks for your help!

Replies

• beverlyl64
    beverlyl64 Posts: 381
    Options
    I love Turbo Fire, it's fun, challenging and Chalene makes you feel like you are right there with her.
  • jperrysunlover
    jperrysunlover Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Try Zumba classes! It is fun, you meet lots of great people, and it's a party atmosphere! Go to zumba.com to find a class in your area.
  • marathonmom72
    marathonmom72 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Turbo Jam (kick boxing) is fun too!
  • NuttyBrewnette
    NuttyBrewnette Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I get bored too, so I have a "routine" that is very varied. ha ha.
    Each week I aim for 250-300 minutes of cardio, plus some strength. for example:

1 cycle/spin class
    1 yoga class
    1-2 pilates classes
    I alternate eliptical, stationary bike, and treadmill for cardio.
    I also started (last week) Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred (LOVE IT!)
    I do some Turbo Jam videos at home from time to time (mostly if I don't have time to get to the gym)
    I also walk/jog intervals weather permitting.
    I play Wii games with the fam, and I do have Wii fit.
    I walk to get the mail (about a quarter mile) I take the stairs at work. I park far away and walk in to stores, work etc.

I'm doing okay, not bored at this moment.
    Will probably check out a Zumba class in the near future. Hear it's great fun.
  • Tereztaylor07
    Options
    Anything by Jillian Michaels. But her 30 day shred is a great introductory video. Just a 25 minute workout, with strength and cardio. I also do extra 20 minutes cardio if i can find the time. Running and walking is also fantastic, but I would definitely incorporate some strength training, even just 15 minutes in the morning before you start your day.
  • nolakris
    nolakris Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Do you belong to a gym? Try the different classes; Zumba is a lot of fun, I enjoy the Spin classes too. If no gym, do you have a bike? Go for a bike ride, if you don't have one, you can pick one up cheap on Craigslist. Any hiking trails near you? Those are often our weekend exercise that my hubby and I do together. I think Netflix has aerobic DVD's you can try before buying. We just got the Kinect thing for the X-Box. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but my husband likes it a lot.
  • HeyLisa
    HeyLisa Posts: 201
    Options
    If you have Netflix they have a few fun 10 minute workouts. I do a couple, few.. in between tv shows or laundry.
  • niccup
    niccup Posts: 32
    Options
    Hey there! Congrats on your success so far. Its not always an easy thing to do but I have found that if we just keep going, the benefits are amazing. I have tried so many different types of workouts and I agree that not getting bored is very important for our continuing a healthy lifestyle. I loved Jillian Micheals videos. I also took a 8 week bootcamp class and that was a blast. Now I am doing cardio kickboxing and its my favorite so far. I hope that helps you a bit. Switching it up will always be a good thing but if you can find something you really love than you can alternate exercises.
  • ColoradoClyde
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing great so far. It's time to start adding some resistance training to your workouts; this will complement your aerobic workouts. It does not have to be the standard weight machine stuff, if you're not into that. I use resistance bands, dumbells, a fitness ball and a BOSU. Technique is pretty important here, so you may want to get some coaching or take a class until you have your form correct.
  • OneBryteSmile
    OneBryteSmile Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Turbo Jam (kick boxing) is fun too!

I love Turbo Jam!
  • fockstarr7783
    Options
    TurboFire is great! It's brutal, but def worth it. The HIIT circuits are crazy, but I love it.
  • Bella0608
    Bella0608 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Im loving Zumba got it for the wii its really fun
  • Teeladog
    Teeladog Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Have you tried getting in the water? Water aerobics classes are fun and (despite their reputation) not just for older folks. There are all different kinds of water classes too - deep water, hydro training, aqua fit etc. etc. etc.
  • Maris165
    Maris165 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success so far!!! Go you!!! I can't wait to have those kinds of numbers on my board! I love Zumba class, like others have said, it's a party atmosphere and you meet lots of people! Best of all it is fun for everyone! Those who are in fantastic to those who are not in the best shape! Love it!!! Nowadays I've been trying to find time to get to the gym, I will make it happen at least 3 times this week, hopefully more! :)
  • terrysgirl0829
    terrysgirl0829 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your help! I think I will def check out some videos and maybe try Zumba. I really like the idea of a fun workout!