strange question???

Options
Okay, I am wanting to lose about 90 pounds. I have already lost 5 and it wednesday will be one week. So not too bad BUT a long way to go....

So I am wondering if losing such a large amount will lead to a lot of loose skin? I know I need to lose the weight regardless. I will be healthier and feel better but I would like to think that I will look better too. but not so sure that skin hanging down is so attractive either. not trying to be insulting - this is really a concern of mine. It has kept from dieting before but i guess it would still be an improvement - just wont be wearing any swim suits :)

Replies

• fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    It depends on your genes more than anything. Also, strength training, I understand, helps tighten up those areas. I haven't seen an issue with this yet and I'm almost down 30. Alot from my stomach area has just shrunk.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    If you do it the right way, through diet & exercise, you should not have a whole lot of loose skin because you're toning as you go. I definitely would not recommend any crash diets because loose skin will definitely be a result of losing the weight so quickly. Good luck!
  • ShyBreasts
    ShyBreasts Posts: 91
    Options
    Very valid question! I wish I could help you and suggest something but I have no experience with that, so I realise that this reply might seem quite pointless haha, but I do want to wish you the best of luck!!
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    In short, if you do some crazy diet scheme and try to lose the weight in 2 months, you're going to have some loose skin. On the other hand, if you look at this as a lifestyle change and don't focus on the number as much, you'll lose the weight and the skin won't sag. I lost 90 lbs and my skin doesn't sag. It took me about 7 months to do it - which is slightly agressive, but not overly so. My skin doesn't sag and for the first time in my life, I went to the beach in a bikini. I eat right, I strength train and I do a lot of cardio training. For me, this is a change in my lifestyle.

Now I will say that I just had a baby 4 days ago so I'm losing some crazy amounts of weight but that's okay for now.
  • kathryngt
    kathryngt Posts: 1
    Options
    From what i've heard around, due to skins elasticity, it has an amazing ability to conform to new shapes as you lose and gain wieght, like in pregnancy, just as an example. It always says on the diet shows that the main thing to do is not lose the wieght too fast, as then your skin can't keep up.
    I hope this is helpful, but theres probably loads on the internet :)
  • Cyd46
    Cyd46 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It does depend on your genes. I have always been told, to take the weight off slow. Rapid weight loss can cause it. I am not sure if that is true or not. Make sure you do strength training!

You can wear a swimsuit!! There are so many out there and for all body types!!

Good luck in your journey!!
  • fockstarr7783
    Options
    If you don't incorporate a steady exercise regimen, then you will definitely have loose skin along with losing the weight too fast. That's why you see ppl who have had gastric bypass or some other type of weight loss surgery, they have excessive lose skin b/c the weight dropped to quickly. Then you see the ppl on the biggest loser who lose hundreds of pounds, and you don't see that kind of excess b/c of the strict diet and exercise. Good luck and I hope I helped a little with your question!
  • Janet39
    Janet39 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    This is not a thing to stop you starting:smile:

The general opinion is lose at a reasonable rate, eat nutritious food, get your exercise, and slap on the cream to keep your skin in good condition.

I would love to get to the position where that was my only worry, if you know what I mean:wink:
  • jenny_fur
    jenny_fur Posts: 73
    Options
    I read earlier (sorry forgot where...) that water helps!
    Water Water Water!
    XOX Best of luck!
  • penny5
    penny5 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I actually have the same concern! I've been watching Extreme Makeover, Weightloss Addition and all of those people have extra skin cut off. I have 85lbs to lose to be considered a healthy weight (and this is with losing 18lbs so far, so it was about 100lbs- YIKES) so I am in the same boat as you. I will send you a friend request if you want to trudge through this together!:flowerforyou:
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    This is only your first week and losing that much is normal. It is all water weight and the weight loss will slow down soon. Good luck.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    From what I've heard, the loose skin people end up with is caused by quick weight loss. They aren't giving their skin time to "snap back" into shape. Also, the older we get, the less elastic our skin is, so the longer you wait to lose the weight, the more likely you'll end up with loose skin. Another reason why it's better not to wait to start! :)

Focus on losing weight at a slow and steady pace. Be sure to incorporate exercise into your routine and you shouldn't have too much trouble with loose skin.
  • diembroadhurst
    Options
    I've lost 110lbs so far and I do have some excess skin on my tummy with 30lbs to go, but I was overweight for a long time and during my weight loss journey (the past 10 yrs) I've had 2 children which has really pushed the limits of my skins elasticity. My exercise regime now is focused on a mix of cardio and strength training, my tummy area does still carry excess fat and the last deposits are going down slowly but surely. I don't think for one minute that I will have a totally flat toned tummy, but it would be nice to have some definition and definately no overhanging lower tummy. The thing is - having slightly sagging skin is far healthier than your current situation and is definately not a reason not to go for it. Underwear has come a long way, as have swimming costumes - so there is not reason why anyone else would know what lurks beneath. Exercise, eat clean foods, drink water and aim for a 1-2lb weight loss a week and if genes and age are on your side then there is no reason why you won't be sporting a very sexy shape this time next year. Put it this way - age does play a part - so if you want to work age to your benefit to give you a fighting chance - that means doing it now and not putting it off. Time waits for noone as they say. Well done on your first weeks weight loss.
  • Emma1903
    Emma1903 Posts: 195
    Options
    I lost 6 stone in 6 months and haven't really had a problem with loose skin, maybe a little bit on my tummy but that is going with resistance training and loosing he last stone slower.
    It also depends on your age and how much water you drink, as to how good your skins elasticity is.
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I think if you lose it mega quick and don't build muscle and don't have elasticity left in your skin it could happen, but just go slow and steady and get some free weights in there to tone up as you go.

Stay hydrated so your skin will not get dried out and you should be fine.