Confused about daily calories intake (3050 vs 1660)

Options
Hi,

According to myfitnesspal calculator to loose 2lbs per week I need to consume 1660 calories per day ( going to the gym 4 times a week + sitting in front of the pc all day :D).

Today I went to the shop which sells nutritions (Vitamin Shop) and I was told that to keep my current weight I need to consume 3550 calories per day - to gain +500 and to loose -500 - which in my case would be 3050 calories per day.

I am quite confused by this huge difference. Anyone can help ?

Thanks
B

Replies

• w_sanford
    w_sanford Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    3050 is a very high amount to be consuming....Who told you that?
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    How much do you weigh, how tall are you? Male or female?

We need more information.

And what system/formula did it use to formulate your maintainence calories?
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Actually, I can tell you exactly why the difference. The guy at Vitamin shop was counting in the calories you said you would be losing by working out, MFP doesn't do that until you actually burn them and log them.

Stick with the MFP numbers, when you add exercise, it will add calories for you to eat.
  • szikosza
    szikosza Posts: 3
    Options
    Seller in the shop who is actually a body builder :)

When I started myfitnesspal I was 113.5kg - now I am 100.0kg - 176cm - male - he has done some calculations and that was the result.

To calculate my daily intake I've just used myfitnesspal calculator to loose 2lbs per week.
  • crobinson53
    crobinson53 Posts: 164
    Options
    Actually, I can tell you exactly why the difference. The guy at Vitamin shop was counting in the calories you said you would be losing by working out, MFP doesn't do that until you actually burn them and log them.

Stick with the MFP numbers, when you add exercise, it will add calories for you to eat.

This is correct. You must always burn more than you consume.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Your calories to maintain are all dependent on the weight you are now, and that will go down as you lose weight. It is quite possible for them to be that high if you have a large amount of weight to lose. You probably have MFP set to lose 2 pounds per week, so that is a calorie deficit of 7000 calories per week or 1000 calories per day off your maintenance calories. MFP also factors in your activity level. If they told you 500 calories plus/minus, that is a rate of 1 pound per week. If you truly do have a maintenance calorie of 3500 or so, then you can easily be losing 2 pounds per week. Would be helpful to know height, age and weight.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Seller in the shop who is actually a body builder :)

When I started myfitnesspal I was 113.5kg - now I am 100.0kg - 176cm - male - he has done some calculations and that was the result.

To calculate my daily intake I've just used myfitnesspal calculator to loose 2lbs per week.

definately use MFP... His calculation would be correct as long as you ALWAYS work out The same amount of calories burned each day...

MFP subtracts the deficit, and then lets you work out if you wanna.
  • szikosza
    szikosza Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you very much - I've been using MFP for 6 months now and I will continue to do so :smile: Just wanted to clarify this 3550 thingy.

Thank you
  • clorentzen
    Options
    3,000 calories seems extremely high. I started this program back in March. I am 6'4'. I weighed 248 lbs. I workout 4-5 days a week and also sit at a computer most of the day. I wanted to lose 2lbs a week and MFP calculated total calories per day not including workout calories of 1,680. I lost 38 pounds in about 3 months and am now at my goal weight.

When I recalulated my goals so I can maintain my current weight, about 2,200 calories was recommended not including workout calories. See what your body burns each day if it were at rest and that will give you a good idea if what they are recommending is close. MFP has a tool that will estimate this number for you. If I were to lay in bed all day and do nothing, my body would burn just under 2,000 so eating 2,200 to maintain my weight seems reasonable.