I can't stop

Options
Everytime I see junk food I can't resist it and it's not worth it because it makes my belly feel weird and i feel guilty and just bad overall and it's JUST FOOD. I don't know why I do that.. I binge eat alot too. What should I do?

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    learn self control
  • linlinjay
    linlinjay Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I also have prom in about 3 months and I've lost so far 28 lbs and i have about 20 more left and I'm coming back to my horrible habits :(
  • linlinjay
    linlinjay Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    learn self control
    How? Easy said than done
  • hev481
    hev481 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    linlinjay wrote: »
    I also have prom in about 3 months and I've lost so far 28 lbs and i have about 20 more left and I'm coming back to my horrible habits :(

You sound like you are under 18 (talking about prom) and so your calorie and weight loss needs might be different than that of an adult. Weight loss is also highly behavioral and psychological. I encourage you to talk to your pediatrician/family doctor (maybe just go in for a checkup if you haven't gone this year and bring it up) and discuss your concerns! They might have some good strategies or even be able to refer you to someone to talk to.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    What are your daily calorie goals and stats? Height, current weight, age, activity level?
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I have found that the more you stay away from junk food, the easier it becomes. Small steps. Eventually hopefully you will get to the point where you can enjoy it once in a while and not go crazy with it. Also, take the time to find healthier foods you enjoy...don't try and exist on celery and carrots.
    Yesterday I was getting a veggie omelette in the cafeteria. The cook asked a woman/friend what she wanted and she grabbed a yogurt, made a face and said I have to get rid of this weight. I wanted to grab her and say have eggs! even bacon or turkey bacon. She was going to be hungry in an hour and quit!! Losing weight does not have to be torture. Just be aware of how many calories you are putting in your body every day!!

• murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Perhaps just avoid situations where there is going to be junk food and you won't be able to resist. Or leave enough room in your calorie goals to eat "junk" food in moderation.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

How old are you? How tall? What do you weigh?
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    learn self control
    How? Easy said than done

Willpower is just like a muscle. It only gets stronger if you exercise it. There's no magic solution to saying "no" to food. You just have to do it and walk away from whatever is tempting you.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    learn self control
    How? Easy said than done

it is not easier said then done.

i wanted to quit smoking. 3 years ago i did.

i wanted to lose weight. ive lost over 80 in the past year.

if something is a priority for you, and you want it bad enough, you stop doing whats bad for you, or causing you harm, and do what you need to do.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    And we can't stop (whoa)
    And we won't stop (whoa)
    Can't you see it's we who own the night
    Can't you see it we who bout' that life
    And we can't stop (whoa)
    And we won't stop (whoa)
    We run things, things don't run we
    Don't take nothing from nobody yeah yeah

Sorry, had to. xD
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    learn self control
    How? Easy said than done

it is not easier said then done.

i wanted to quit smoking. 3 years ago i did.

i wanted to lose weight. ive lost over 80 in the past year.

if something is a priority for you, and you want it bad enough, you stop doing whats bad for you, or causing you harm, and do what you need to do.

There are a lot of factors between people that while you can just will yourself to change your actions, for others it just isn't as easy as you claim.

I'd recommend if you are serious about your issues OP and this just isn't OMG WHAT WILL I LOOK LIKE AT THE PROM moment which is temporary and will pass, that you see your family doctor and discuss your concerns.

Don't just trust strangers for advice on "your serious concerns in life". Talk to people you KNOW and that you can trust and can lend you personal support face to face. my humble opinion.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    This is a "know yourself" issue.

You need to figure out what you can regulate (eat in a controlled way) vs. what you need to just avoid.

I really like salty crunchy food. So, yeah, chips are a long term problem for me.

What I've learned for me:

* flavored chips are the most dangerous because I have the worst control with them
    * plain chips are better, but if I eat them straight from the bag I will still eat way too much
    * plain chips with a dip, best choice if I want chips, because having salsa, hummus, guac...whatever...fills me up so I stop
    * chips with a sandwich/meal is alright for the same reason, with other food I will get full and stop
    * popcorn is a better choice all around because I still like it, even the lower calorie kind, but I need to measure it out because if I eat it straight from the bag I will eat too much of it

Yeah, all around take away for me...don't eat food straight from the container. Take a portion out and move away. ;)

For the foods that you haven't found a good way to regulate it may help to just tell yourself "I don't eat X", or "I can eat X later".

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    You can--you are choosing not to.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Every time you say the word "can't," replace it with the word "won't." See if that changes your perspective.
  • jennieo213
    jennieo213 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    learn self control
    Ouch!!

• AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Wait, you've lost 28lbs?? That's frackin AWESOME!! I'd suggest keep doin what you're doing and try not to worry about a moderate amount of sweets =)
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I had a box of fresh, warm donuts less than four inches from my hands during my three hour meeting this morning. They looked and smelled delicious - and holy cow, do I ever have a sweet tooth.

I didn't take one. Was I tempted? Absolutely. And for that reason, I would never judge anyone for venting about how difficult it is to resist such things. In the end though, it's still a matter of choice. My boss was teasing me and "wafting" the smell of the donuts towards me when I said "no thanks." I stuck out my tongue and stuck to my guns. Despite his teasing, no one was shoving the donut into my mouth and forcing me to chew, so I still had that choice. And as long as you have a choice, you can always say "no".
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Keep telling yourself, every time the urge to eat the food, "I won't do this, because, no matter how much more weight I lose, between now and the prom, I am going to look fantastic, because I am worth this!"

You are doing great! Keep on doing what you have done to get yourself to this point.
  • goofyrick24
    goofyrick24 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Pack and keep healthy snacks with you at all times.... Quest Bars from GNC, Baby Carrots and hummus or Yogurt Ranch Dressing, 100 calorie Cottage Cheese Doubles.... make sure you are drinking enough water and eating something every 3 hours or so ....